Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it may feel rather hard to believe, today marks one year since the first Macs with Apple silicon were unveiled to the world.

ternus-m1-chip.jpg

At a virtual event on November 10, 2020, Apple introduced its custom-designed M1 chip, followed by three new Macs powered by the chip, including the MacBook Air, the lower-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, and the lower-end Mac mini.

With the M1 chip, Apple delivered on its promise of industry-leading performance per watt and faster integrated graphics than Intel processors.

"When it comes to low-power silicon, M1 has the world's fastest CPU core, the world's fastest integrated graphics in a personal computer, and the amazing machine learning performance of the Apple Neural Engine," said Johny Srouji, head of Apple's chip design team, in a press release. "With its unique combination of remarkable performance, powerful features, and incredible efficiency, M1 is by far the best chip we've ever created."

Benchmark results quickly revealed that even the MacBook Air with the M1 chip outperformed a maxed-out Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro, and the first Apple silicon Macs received overwhelmingly positive reviews for their performance.

Apple expanded the M1 chip to a new 24-inch iMac in April, and last month it unveiled even faster M1 Pro and M1 Max chips for the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

"No one has ever applied a system-on-a-chip design to a pro system until today with M1 Pro and M1 Max," said Srouji. "With massive gains in CPU and GPU performance, up to six times the memory bandwidth [compared to the M1 chip], a new media engine with ProRes accelerators, and other advanced technologies, M1 Pro and M1 Max take Apple silicon even further, and are unlike anything else in a pro notebook."

At this moment, the 27-inch iMac, the high-end Mac mini, and the Mac Pro tower are the only remaining Intel-based Macs that Apple still sells, but even those models are expected to transition to Apple silicon within the next year or so.

The Information's Wayne Ma recently claimed that the next Mac Pro will use a variant of the M1 Max chip with at least two dies for even faster performance, adding that a future high-end Apple silicon chip could offer up to a 40-core CPU.

Last month, when asked if Intel has given up on the idea of the Mac running on Intel processors in the future, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said that he hopes to win back this segment of Apple's business over time by making better chips than Apple. In the meantime, Intel has run ads promoting Intel-based PCs over Macs, and it even recruited actor Justin Long from Apple's iconic "I'm a Mac" ads for the campaign.

A replay of Apple's November 2020 event is available on Apple's website and on YouTube.

Article Link: Today Marks the One Year Anniversary of the First Apple Silicon Macs

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Really looking forward to seeing what Apple does with the 27" iMac in 2022, hopefully in the first half of the year. Been aching to upgrade my '19 Intel iMac. A new design is a given, so perhaps we'll finally witness a modern, chinless iMac.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Really looking forward to seeing what Apple does with the 27" iMac in 2022, hopefully in the first half of the year. Been aching to upgrade my '19 Intel iMac. A new design is a given, so perhaps we'll finally witness a modern, chinless iMac.
Unfortunately I don't think we will get a chinless iMac as they will do something similar to the 24".

But there is a slight hope as the MacBook Pro brought back features lost in a past update. Maybe the iMac will get back the chinless, height-adjustable features of the G4 version.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Replacement for the Intel Mac Mini that is still for sale today?
Ah, I didn't realise they were still selling an Intel Mac Mini (the Mac Mini is one of those machines that's always flown under my radar for whatever reason).

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Great transition. Great devices. Great Apple.

I owned M1 MBA and M1 Pro 14 MBP and could not be happier.
How is the size on the 14 compared to MBA ? I'm tempted to get onr (mainly because of the display) but wondering how big of a difference the screen makes ,like is it rly bigger ?

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Chin is here to stay.
Guarantee you the 24 inch iMac is a good benchmark of what the 27 inch iMac will look like, just with black borders instead of white ones.
Maybe slap a notch on top for giggles and memes, but even that is unlikely.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Ah, I didn't realise they were still selling an Intel Mac Mini (the Mac Mini is one of those machines that's always flown under my radar for whatever reason).

Perhaps no more. In general, same chip = same power. Rumors of Mac Mini Max could mean all of the power of MBpro Max in a Mac that costs less than a "maxed" out MBpro Max.

Given my "working Mac" need for real Windows too in a post-bootcamp world, I'm starting to imagine a crazy idea of Mac Mini MAX + Windows NUC (or stick-based Windows computer) + Screen + Keyboard all separately packed in a travel bag... a kind of (not)laptop made of individual pieces. Yes, seems very crazy but if a "working Mac" professional would otherwise need to pack TWO laptops to cover all working bases, does the weight and/or potential thickness of the bag actually change that much (one less screen, one less keyboard, etc)

Might even be able to switch into a mode of using HDMI out to leverage hotel TVs and such for the "away" screen. It's going to be interesting.

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Couldn’t be happier with my M1 Air.
Likewise! Before that event happened, I was unsure that the switch from Intel to Apple's own ARM-based silicon chips similar to their iOS devices could lead to a decrease in performance. Boy, was I wrong with the first M1 Macs were released! And among hearing more good things about them, that was when I decided to jump right onto the Apple Silicon bandwagon and get an M1 MacBook Air, and it's currently my fastest and most powerful Mac on hand.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Intel are in Cloud Cuckooland if they think the Mac will switch back to using their CPUs.

Reactions: BWhaler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.