Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
For years I've been using the tiling feature to view two apps (Mail and Stocks) on a single desktop. It worked great.

Now, I'm jumping from Mojave to Sonoma and am having difficulty with getting it to work the same. I want to have the Mail app on the left to use about 75% of the desktop and the Stocks app to use 25%. This was no issue with Mojave.

With Sonoma I can't seem to get any ratio greater than 60% / 40%. The vertical separator bar has a very limited range of motion.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks!

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
I know I'm doing something wrong
how do you know that?

you probably aren't.

I would use a third-party app like magnet for now. It supports 2/3rd and 1/3rd display on my studio display. If you have something like an ultra wide you can get quarters or even sixths.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I use Moom. It can do regular tiling just fine, but the "killer" feature, for me, is the fully customisable "Arrange Windows". If you have window arrangements you use regularly – or simply want to resize app windows to you preferred sizes – then once saved, they're only a keystroke away.

Reactions: gregmac19

colodane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Thanks, folks, for the responses. Will save me lots of time trying to get it to work on Sonoma 🙂

Thinking that Sonoma had to do everything that Mojave did was a bad assumption on my part!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
For years I've been using the tiling feature to view two apps (Mail and Stocks) on a single desktop. It worked great.

Now, I'm jumping from Mojave to Sonoma and am having difficulty with getting it to work the same. I want to have the Mail app on the left to use about 75% of the desktop and the Stocks app to use 25%. This was no issue with Mojave.

With Sonoma I can't seem to get any ratio greater than 60% / 40%. The vertical separator bar has a very limited range of motion.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks!
I'm not sure what the problem with your setup is, but I just tried Mail and Stocks app as you described and had no issue at all with a 75/25% ratio (or any other ratio).

Out of curiosity, have you tried holding the Option key down while dragging the separator bar? Theoretically, this shouldn't make any difference, but I've found that it sometimes kicks the OS in the nuts and fixes minor issues.

• Haha
Reactions: kevcube

colodane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, just tried it with option key and that made no difference.
Happy 4th !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.