Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
On YouTube, I recently watched a small indoor 1975 concert by Three Dog Night. The video wasn't great for the first song but it was good for the remaining songs.

I was familiar with the songs but not really the group and was surprised that they had three lead singers. The vocals are amazing.

It looks like the group was like many during that era who were destroyed by substance abuse :(.

link

Three Dog Night - Live '75 Soundstage, Chicago

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw Three Dog Night at the University of Maryland circa 1971, great concert! The same place where I saw Black Sabboth, but I can’t remember if these were seperate concerts. I want to say, yes, they were… seperate. 🤔

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like the origin of the group's name. By Australian tradition, one way to keep warm at night is to snuggle up with dogs. If it's really cold, you need three dogs, making it a "three dog night."

Group founder Danny Hutton was originally a solo singer. One of his first recordings (if not the first) was Monster Shindig, perhaps an attempt to clone the success of "Monster Mash".

The recording Funny How Love Can Be was credited to Danny Hutton alone, but the same recording later appeared on a Three Dog Night album, and sounds to me like three-part harmony.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Ah the memories, I had a stereo/record store in upstate NY from 1967 to 1970. Sold a lot of the great albums of the years. Three Dog Night was always a favorite. I remember getting The Beatles Abby Road in and playing it for the first time, fantastic, never heard anything like it before. All the songs on both sides were great.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.