Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPowerLvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am getting Spinning Beachballs, and have to Force Quit Messages, when I try to send an Article through Messages. I can email a page, but I have to Force Quit Messages whenever I try to send a message, or when trying to just look at messages. I am running Sonoma 14.5 on a M1 Max, with 64GB of RAM and a 4TB SSD.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure what you mean by sending “an article” - a URL? Text of the article pasted int a message? PDF of an article?

What browser?

Is it going via iMessage or SMS/MMS?

MacPowerLvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Not sure what you mean by sending “an article” - a URL? Text of the article pasted int a message? PDF of an article?

What browser?

Is it going via iMessage or SMS/MMS?
I was on a webpage in Safari, and when I clicked on the Box with the Upward pointing arrow upward, I get the Menu options of sending by Messages(Recent Recipients are shown), Add to Reading List, Add Bookmark, New QuickNote, Add to Dock, Email this Page, etc… I used to be able to pick a recent Recipient, or select to send by Email for example, but now I get the Spinning Beach Ball every time, and not only can’t I send the Page by Message, I’m getting the Beachball until I Force Quit. I can’t even Bookmark the Page, but I can Email the Page from the Menu, anything else gives the Beachball until I Force Quit. I have Restarted the Mac Book pro, but I don’t know what else to do.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Okay, so sending a URL from Safari. If you copy the URL from the address bar and then open Messages, and Paste the URL and send it, does that work okay?

This test will determine if it's an issue with Safari, or with Messages.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I think I encountered this problem. I recall a reboot fixed it (until the next time it happened). Likely a memory leak somewhere.

Reactions: MacPowerLvr

MacPowerLvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Even after a restart, every time I open Messages, I get the Spinning Beach Ball, with 64GB of RAM. I have to Force Quit every time, because I can’t even select another message to read it, or reply. I’m forced to Force Quit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.