Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss all of the rumors surrounding WWDC 2024 and iOS 18.

Earlier this week, Apple announced that its 2024 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) will take place between June 10 and June 14. The event is almost certain to see the introduction of iOS 18 and all of Apple's other major upcoming software updates.

iOS 18 is expected to focus on artificial intelligence features, likely powered by Google's Gemini. New AI capabilities are rumored to come to Siri, Messages, Shortcuts, Spotlight, Health, Apple Music, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers, but the company is expected to stop short of offering a full-fledged AI chatbot.

Beyond AI, iOS 18 will reportedly bring more flexible Home Screen customization, custom routes and topographic maps in the Maps app, "scenes" in the Freeform app, RCS support, new accessibility features such as a hearing aid mode for the AirPods Pro, and potentially a slight redesign inspired by visionOS.

The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple's rumored plan to refresh the entire AirPods lineup with a series of new models.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the p... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: WWDC Announced and the Latest iOS 18 Rumors

hotstreaks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
WISH LIST

notification center:
iOS & iPadOS unified notifications and widgets (like in macOS)

notes / pages / safari:
buttons to scroll to the top or bottom page

in any app:
can APP LIBRARY be added to BACK TAP please. this would help me open any app not currently in the app switcher. thank you

Last edited:

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
PODCAST REQUEST: chapter markers

I don't have 59:56 minutes to consume the entire podcast, but I do have 10-20 minutes here and there and would still like to engage with the most relevant parts—but I can't find that if there are no chapter markers (or topic markers).

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Beyond AI, iOS 18 will reportedly bring more flexible Home Screen customization, custom routes and topographic maps in the Maps app, "scenes" in the Freeform app, RCS support, new accessibility features such as a hearing aid mode for the AirPods Pro, and potentially a slight redesign inspired by visionOS.
Yes bring on all the beyond AI stuff to iOS/iPadOS 18! :cool:
As for the beefed up Siri as discussed I will believe it when I see it capable of understanding long text compared to now. It’s the biggest target for improvement via some form of cloud based AI.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Should be a big upgrade at last
Big upgrades, and change for change sake are a waste of time, unless those changes are for the better, for most users.

I don't want big updates, or lots of changes… i just a stable, secure OS with decent features and customizability on which to run everything id like to be able to do on Mac, iPhone, ipad etc..

Ive been using Apple devices since 2006… and for the most part, i do the same things, as i imagine most people do too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Big upgrades, and change for change sake are a waste of time, unless those changes are for the better, for most users.

I don't want big updates, or lots of changes… i just a stable, secure OS with decent features and customizability on which to run everything id like to be able to do on Mac, iPhone, ipad etc..
It's stable enough

Features such as place icons anywhere are basic things which iOS should have. Make your phone how you want it to look

Reactions: Fuzzball84

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Also SUPER useful.... lock screen in landscape mode, like when you are watching a movie lying down on the bed (in other words looking at the screen sideways) and need to see the content in landscape.

Umm.... hardware drops?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tailpike1153

GonzoTGreat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Yes bring on all the beyond AI stuff to iOS/iPadOS 18! :cool:
As for the beefed up Siri as discussed I will believe it when I see it capable of understanding long text compared to now. It’s the biggest target for improvement via some form of cloud based AI.
Re: Chapter Markers - Yes, please. Would make a podcast (from YouTube) much easier to navigate!

Reactions: boswald

GonzoTGreat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
PODCAST REQUEST: chapter markers

I don't have 59:56 minutes to consume the entire podcast, but I do have 10-20 minutes here and there and would still like to engage with the most relevant parts—but I can't find that if there are no chapter markers (or topic markers).
Re: Chapter markers (at least on YouTube version of pod): Yes please. This would make the podcast much more accessible for me!

• Love
Reactions: 6749974

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Also SUPER useful.... lock screen in landscape mode, like when you are watching a movie lying down on the bed (in other words looking at the screen sideways) and need to see the content in landscape.

Umm.... hardware drops?
Not really a drop. More like a hardware smash. A wolf spider dropped from the ceiling onto my screen while I was on my iPad Air 3.�� I threw the tarantula wannabe and device across the room, jumped in my boots and stomped both to death.

So I'll be in the market for new device.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: xbjllb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.