Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss Apple's upcoming iPad Air models, which are expected to be announced in just a matter of weeks.

The sixth-generation iPad Air is rumored to feature the M2 chip, a redesigned rear camera, and specification upgrades like Bluetooth 5.3 and Wi-Fi 6E. Most significantly, the iPad Air is expected to come in two sizes for the first time, just like the Apple Watch, iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. One of the size options will be the same as the previous two generations at 10.9-inches, while the new addition to the lineup will mirror the iPad Pro's 12.9-inch model. The new devices should be announced alongside new iPad Pro models in late March or April. We also discuss iPad workflows, the new MacBook Air, and the positioning of each of the models in the current iPad lineup.

The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple's new MacBook Air models featuring the M3 chip.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests you would like to see in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Will the New iPad Air Be a Big Enough Upgrade?

• Sad
Reactions: serzhs1

TimTheSheriff

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
NW Florida
NO. Ipad OS needs a major overhaul. To be like macOS. Then it becomes a laptop replacement.

Dam. it costs just as much as a Mac. why not.
100%. It also needs multiuser support. I can understand why Apple wouldn’t add multiuser support (so that they can sell more devices) but, if a Chromebook can handle multiple user accounts on a single device, why can’t iPads — at last the Pros?

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Unless your iPad is ancient, I guess not 🤔 I don't notice a huge difference between the M1 iPad and the 8th gen iPad with the home button when it comes to performance. I think I'm going to go for an iPad mini if that ever gets updated, or not upgrade the iPad at all. Currently I don't see any value in the product category of iPads in general, just one more thing to charge. But I draw sometimes and it's great for that. Not that I need the M1 let alone the M3 to do that. It's just a big iPhone and I've never felt my iPhone is small.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Out of curiosity, what upgrades are people hoping for?
  • M3 with OLED for iPad Pro both sizes.
  • Larger iPad Air with standard display, likely using a M3.
  • iPad mini with a different display that is slightly larger w/new controller. Maybe M3 based rather than A17. A16 is too old to use on a update.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
  • M3 with OLED for iPad Pro both sizes.
  • Larger iPad Air with standard display, likely using a M3.
  • iPad mini with a different display that is slightly larger w/new controller. Maybe M3 based rather than A17. A16 is too old to use on a update.
There’s rumors of an ipad mini this month??

Reactions: Stenik

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
There’s rumors of an ipad mini this month??
The iPad Air was last updated in March 2022, The iPad mini was last updated September 2021. Gurman thinks that because of the larger Air rumor will mean all Airs see an update in March/April. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple just did the iPad Pros before that. BTW he said the 15" MBA was first coming late 2021, then it took until WWDC 2023 for it to show. I tend to believe that iPad mini is just as likely to see an update this time of year in spite of Gurman ignoring it, while others have. MacWorld example
It’s been more than two years since the 6th generation iPad mini launched in September 2021, and, based on the dates when other iPad mini models have launched, a fall 2023 update for the iPad mini would have made sense. However, there was no new iPad mini in 2023 so a spring launch at an Apple Event in March or April is conceivable, but we could have an even longer wait.

Reactions: Stenik

Lukelyke765

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
NO. Ipad OS needs a major overhaul. To be like macOS. Then it becomes a laptop replacement.

Dam. it costs just as much as a Mac. why not.
The whole point is that iPad does not become Mac. The same as MacBook will not have touch screen. Any of these scenarios would be eating the other product. This way you have a need for both products.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The whole point is that iPad does not become Mac. The same as MacBook will not have touch screen. Any of these scenarios would be eating the other product. This way you have a need for both products.
Apple chose to be different with all their devices. The iPhone vs iPad vs Mac all are honed for different usages. It's not like you can use just one for everything or not feel the benefit of using all three.

Reactions: SFjohn

JLOAKS

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2016
  • iPadOS needs a dedicated "desktop" mode when mouse and keyboard is connected.
  • It also needs a Safari overhaul as it's just not as well optimized on iPad versus its macOS counterpart.
  • Also needs the ability to create web apps like macOS as the "iPad" app variants are just blown up iPhone apps which feel terrible to use both through touch and KB&M.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA

I think you are right, unfortunately.

Instead, Apple should think what is best for the user and put the price tag that is best for them to that.

(After 10+ years of having iPad and Mac, I replaced iPad with Apple Vision Pro. There just is no need for iPad any more.)

Reactions: SFjohn

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
They really need to make the dimensions of the smaller iPad different... so that the new iPad Air is not compatible with the old Magic Keyboard for iPad... so they can sell you the new Magic Keyboard for iPad and make more money 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Re-flow my work flow, increasing cash flow for the show show... scarily fast, M2 or I walk past...

I do hope the new iPad is compatible with my current Magic Keyboard for iPad... its still in such good condition :rolleyes:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Will the Ipad Air 12.9 get the mini LED display (non Promotion) from the current IPP 12.9 though? Probably not, but could be a surprise from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.