Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Productivity guru Thomas Frank joins us on The MacRumors Show podcast this week to evaluate the state of the iPad Pro and Mac as productivity tools.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

Thomas is a YouTuber, podcaster, and content creator best known for his personal development video essays, Notion tutorials and templates, and Skillshare courses. We discuss the iPad Pro's hardware and form factor, the advancements and limitations of iPadOS 16, and accessories like the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.

We explore the M2 MacBook Air, share some productivity tips, and weigh up the upsides and downsides of Apple's platforms for getting things done. We also touch on some of our favorite third-party apps like Things 3, Obsidian, Craft, and Notion. See more of Thomas's work on his YouTube channel or his website.

Listen to The MacRumors Show via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or subscribe by copying our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. You can also watch a video version of the podcast on our YouTube channel. If you haven't already listened to the last episode of The MacRumors Show, be sure to catch up for an in-depth chat about Apple's long-rumored foldable iPhone following the launch of Samsung's latest Galaxy Z Flip and Z Fold devices.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Sam Kohl, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, Andru Edwards, Jon Prosser, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover going forward.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Thomas Frank Talks iPad and Mac Productivity

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Those must be some major productivity tips to warrant watching a 67 minute video.
I skimmed through that video. No screenshots, nor videos of workflows in action. Just talking. This makes it great if you want to turn it into a podcast (ie, at the gym, driving, daily commute), but as person who doesn't use MacOS, and not iOS for gaming, I was kind of hoping for video clips of such productivity (to get some specifics as to why creative people prefer MacOS). Oh well. That's something that's been on the back of my mind. I'll put in a mental to do list item to seek other videos. I do know one guy who's a solid Apple user (IIRC, he has about $13K of Mac OS equipment alone), so I'll ask him next time I run into him.

kc2kth

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
I listened to the entire thing while working on some other tasks and paid more attention to some sections than others. Interesting take on the current state of the iPad and Mac platforms.

Dan Barbera

Video Producer
Staff member
Sep 24, 2014
I skimmed through that video. No screenshots, nor videos of workflows in action. Just talking. This makes it great if you want to turn it into a podcast (ie, at the gym, driving, daily commute), but as person who doesn't use MacOS, and not iOS for gaming, I was kind of hoping for video clips of such productivity (to get some specifics as to why creative people prefer MacOS). Oh well. That's something that's been on the back of my mind. I'll put in a mental to do list item to seek other videos. I do know one guy who's a solid Apple user (IIRC, he has about $13K of Mac OS equipment alone), so I'll ask him next time I run into him.
This IS a podcast lol

Rarex

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Enjoyed the format and got some great insights!

Couldn't agree more on the MBA M2 views, its a great machine when maxed out. To my surprise it has been a MBP killer for me thanks to its size and weight and relative power.

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
I do appreciate your videos, each with a different guest, usually one who specializes in something Apple. I've learned to keep notes open on my iPhone - periodically pausing the video to write down learned ideas. For what it's worth, on one occasion when I didn't pause the video (taking a quick note), I accidentally touched the dictation microphone icon and learned that Notes very accurately and quickly types out all that is being said. And lastly, I think your three window format is perfect. It's very easy to watch and listen to, and picking up small body language gestures now and then is pure icing on the cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.