Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber and content creator Sara Dietschy joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss some of our favorite Apple accessories and more.

We talk through Sara's thoughts on the iPhone 15 Pro, the utility of the Apple Watch, and Google's newly announced Pixel devices, featuring a range of AI-powered photography capabilities. We also discuss some of our favorite accessories designed for the iPhone and iPad, Mac, and smart home. See Sara's work on her YouTube channel and follow her on X @saradietschy. Take a look at LAB22, her range of accessories for the iPhone and iPad, on Moment's website.

The MacRumors Show is now on X (formerly Twitter) @macrumorsshowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast!

Listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the latest Apple Watch models, who should upgrade, and consider whether it is worth waiting for the rumored "Apple Watch X."

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Sara Dietschy Talks Favorite Apple Accessories

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
That was an interesting conversation about the Apple Watch. One of the big discussions happening on Reddit right now is the whole idea of streaks and the anxiety that causes and now we have 3 contributors to a podcast basically saying they don't use the watch (or don't have one) that much at all. I'm even considering going a day without wearing the watch (And ending my move streak) mainly because I don't want to be a slave to this thing. I might even turn off the challenge notifications so I don't feel the anxiety at the end of the month. I think the surprising thing I got from this podcast was the idea of people maybe turning away from the Apple Watch because it is kind of a flawed device.

darkharbour

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020
Unceded Wolastoqey Territory
That was an interesting conversation about the Apple Watch. One of the big discussions happening on Reddit right now is the whole idea of streaks and the anxiety that causes and now we have 3 contributors to a podcast basically saying they don't use the watch (or don't have one) that much at all. I'm even considering going a day without wearing the watch (And ending my move streak) mainly because I don't want to be a slave to this thing. I might even turn off the challenge notifications so I don't feel the anxiety at the end of the month. I think the surprising thing I got from this podcast was the idea of people maybe turning away from the Apple Watch because it is kind of a flawed device.
I stopped wearing mine partially for this reason 6 months ago and will not go back. Life is a lot better without the constant attachment and guilt associated with the watch notifications and movement reminders, and I'm physically no less healthy without those either.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I stopped wearing mine partially for this reason 6 months ago and will not go back. Life is a lot better without the constant attachment and guilt associated with the watch notifications and movement reminders, and I'm physically no less healthy without those either.
I gave on up streaks a long time ago. I close my rings 5 days a week, and weekends are rest days. Apple Watch remains a good motivator to keep moving, but there's no need to feel anxious about closing rings.

juareza94

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
San Diego
Torrey Lander cases. Those were perfect. Very comfy, not much more bulb, an attachable strap for when needed, and the thermaline did help with maintaining temps (great for when I'm in Palm Springs). It's a shame these didn't support MagSafe and stopped after the 13. This case was my goto and perfect.

OneillSG

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
I enjoy the Apple Watch quite a bit it’s very handy to be able to glance at notifications when I’m working instead of pulling out the phone and I use Apple Pay on the watch a lot.

I also appreciate the health tracking but I’m not one to become obsessed with it or have any issues if I don’t close a ring one day.

In the end to each their own

carloslegarda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I found that the hosts were so easily swayed from their convictions by their female guest. Send her a link to one of your articles that show newbies how to set up their Apple Watch properly.
The Apple Watch, just like the iPhone, can be customized and notifications can be turned off if they bother you so much. You can use Focus modes for that or just turn them off completely. When I used to live in a country where Apple Pay works and the public transport system allows, I felt using the Apple Watch for tapping in and out was so much more covenient. And on days where I forget my iPhone and wallet at home, a God send for allowing me to pay if I realize that I’d forgotten them just as I’m about to pay. I also use my Apple watch as a flash light to not disturb/wake my partner or toddler when looking for my fallen Airpod is also very useful. I also don’t need a mattres to vibrate for me to wake up because the Apple Watch does that. Set your alarm, turn on theater mode and you are set, no matter how many alarms you need to wake up.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
So much hate on the AW today. I find it highly useful for many things. There is so much more one can use it for than the hosts and the guest gave it credit for.

I do like Apple Pay and how easy that is. I don't hate the watch, but I need to learn that the Watch doesn't need to give me anxiety, as crazy as that sounds.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
You need someone to tell you these things?

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Turned all of Apple’s activity stuff off after the first week. I found them distracting, intrusive and not at all useful. I had a Polar tracker before the AW and they understood the need for rest days during the week much better. I feel like the AW features are designed for a Californian software engineer who doesn’t do regular hard exercise. 3rd party apps work much better. Stand notifications are dumb on the AW for some reason, too little customization maybe.

I enjoy the better workout tracking, better looks and glanceability of the watch but most of what Apple touts in their keynotes has very little use.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Let me sing my praises again: Dan and Hartley are awesome podcasters

I really enjoy these episodes :D

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017
One of the big discussions happening on Reddit right now is the whole idea of streaks and the anxiety that causes and now we have 3 contributors to a podcast basically saying they don't use the watch (or don't have one) that much at all.
Maybe I’m getting old but that is the most millennial, first world thing I’ve heard all year: if a silly electronic device gives you anxiety, you have no real worries…

Crazy thought: wear the watch but don’t use that particular feature.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
As someone who heavily uses his watch for fitness tracking — both the rings and workouts — I fully don’t get this. If you don’t meet your goal one day, you just…don’t. It’s not like anyone’s going to chastise you or worse. It’s the watch nudging, but not requiring, you to do things that are good for you (provided you’re doing so safely, etc., the usual caveats). And if the notifications stress you out, you’re able to turn those off.

Goals and challenges are exactly that: goals and challenges. Sometimes you won’t make it across the finish line on time or at all. That’s alright. If you do manage it, you get a freaking 3D animated fake badge that you can spin around with your finger. Neato.

Viale Montanane

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Regarding the shape of the case of the Apple Watch, the use of shapes beside basically rectangular or circular should be considered, for example the Reuleaux triangle. This is a better shape than a circle because for us time does not flow equably, as a circle suggests, but faster at times and then slower at others. It is superior to a rectangle/square because the rectangle suggests the static aspect of the world.

If a different case shape seems too exteme for consideration, then at least offer a face complication that uses the Reuleaux triangle as the major element. E.g. a Reuleaux triangle rotor inside a rectangle would be interesting. See the Wiki reference below.

Hamilton makes something similar to a Reuleaux case in its Elvis80 line.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.