Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Display analyst Ross Young joins us on The MacRumors Show podcast this week to discuss some of his biggest leaks about Apple's plans for the next year and beyond.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

Ross is co-founder and CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC), a leading display market research firm, and has worked throughout the display supply chain. Ross is one of the top sources of information about Apple's plans and has a huge amount of influence on the rumors space, having revealed a plethora of accurate insights about upcoming Apple devices. See some of Ross's rumors that panned out correctly below:

Looking to forecasts for the future, Ross believes:

He has also commented on how the iPad mini 7 is unlikely to feature a ProMotion display, and has expressed skepticism about Apple launching a new 12-inch MacBook.

In this episode, we take a look at some of Ross's biggest leaks and rumors for the year ahead, including details about Apple's plans for larger Apple Watch, iPad, and MacBook Air models. We also delve into the rumored mini-LED external display, as well as long-term progress toward Apple under-display technology and foldables.

Ross gives us some insight into his background, work, and fascinating relationship with Apple over the years. He also explains how DSCC works and exactly how it comes across so much accurate information about what Apple is planning to do.

Listen to The MacRumors Show via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or subscribe by copying our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. You can also watch a video version of the podcast on our YouTube channel. If you haven't already listened to the last episode of The MacRumors Show, be sure to catch up for an in-depth discussion about the return of the HomePod and the new Apple TV with Sam Kohl.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Sam Kohl, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, Andru Edwards, Jon Prosser, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover going forward.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Ross Young Talks Major iPad and Mac Rumors for 2023 and Beyond

Last edited:

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Good Lord! Those prediction read like Apple lineup from mid 90s before Steve returned 🤦🏼‍♂️

Yeah man thats just what we need a really complicated and convoluted line up. Can never make up the mind what to buy. 🤣😂 iPad 15” Air with foldable self walking flying shoes with three screens.

• Haha
Reactions: arkitect

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Nice to meet you Mr Young.

If you’re reading this, is the next iPhone SE still expected to have a 5.7” display? Is there any chance for it to be LCD and not OLED? Thank you

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Glad to see Ross Young on this show. He is usually briefing executives and decision makers who pay him big bucks to for his reports.

The best part about Young's info is there's no way for Apple to hide it.

ToxicBlue

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
I just want an iPad Pro 11" with mini led display to replace my 2018 iPad Pro that still works amazing, that display plus m2 chip sounds like a good reason to buy a new iPad, the chip alone? not so much.

Arnold Ziffel

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Great to see people like Ross Young, who are knowledgeable and devoid of hype.

As for upcoming Apple products, my wife’s iMac got knocked off her desk by one of our cats (who’d slipped into our home office), breaking the glass on the screen while dislodging the whole assembly from the chassis. Amazingly, I was able to plug in the screen cables, tape the screen on, and get it running. This was early 2020, and we decided to wait for what I thought was the inevitable Apple silicon iMac 27”. Well, we waited until this spring and then bought a Mac Studio Ultra with Apple Studio Display. Great setup. Perhaps Apple will make the larger iMac with Apple Si, but we just got tired of waiting.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
The only reason why I can see Apple producing a 14” iPad Pro is because of iOS 16 and the new windowing. I’m using the beta in my iPad Pro 12.9” and while it works well enough, I’m so used to the size if the full screen apps, that the slightly smaller size presented this way is disconcerting at times. The 14 would eliminate some of that annoyance. When using more than one window, the oils way was terrible most of the time. With 16, it’s much better, so a larger screen would work even better. Therefore, even if that screen were “only” 60 Hz, it would be acceptable for the use case - mostly. That could be enough for it to be a success.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2018
Good Lord! Those prediction read like Apple lineup from mid 90s before Steve returned 🤦🏼‍♂️
Apple's lineup for years now has been going the way of the old Microsoft lineup. Convoluted and confusing. Remember when it was simple? Now I have to explain to people what the versions are, that the newer iPad only supports the Pencil gen1 but an older one supports Pencil gen2 etc. It's a disaster, but what can you expect when a bean counter is running the show. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: transphasic

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Apple's lineup for years now has been going the way of the old Microsoft lineup. Convoluted and confusing. Remember when it was simple? Now I have to explain to people what the versions are, that the newer iPad only supports the Pencil gen1 but an older one supports Pencil gen2 etc. It's a disaster, but what can you expect when a bean counter is running the show. 🤷‍♂️
I certainly do - my machines are from 2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014 … what we have today is incredible display of marketing stupidity (colors) and zero product management (compatibility, ports, overlapping specs)

• Love
Reactions: TracesOfArsenic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.