Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Acclaimed Apple content creator Rene Ritchie joins us on The MacRumors Show podcast this week to reflect on the all-new Mac Studio and Studio Display now that users have had a chance to spend some time with the machines.

The eighth episode of The MacRumors Show takes a look at the Mac Studio and Studio Display's real-world performance, ports, and pricing, as we try to get to the bottom of exactly who these devices are meant for. We also take a closer look at the mixed to negative reaction to the Studio Display and discuss whether it is justified, and cast an eye toward what could be next for Apple silicon Macs and Apple external displays.

We were glad to be joined by Rene Ritchie, the prolific YouTuber, podcaster, blogger, writer, and all-round Apple content creator. Rene is the former executive editor of iMore, a founding member of video streaming service Nebula, and has been a prominent voice in the Apple space for over a decade. Business Insider has said that Rene is one of the top 100 most influential tech people on Twitter, one of the top 25 Gadget Gurus, and one of the 15 most important Apple analysts and writers.

Listen to The MacRumors Show via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or subscribe by copying our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. You can also watch a video version of the podcast on our YouTube channel. If you haven't already listened to the last episode of The MacRumors Show, be sure to catch up for an in-depth discussion about everything Apple announced at its spring event.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests, such as Mark Gurman, Jon Prosser, and Andru Edwards. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover going forward.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Rene Ritchie Talks Mac Studio Performance and Studio Display Controversy

Last edited:

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
What has to be said, that has not already be said ad nauseam ?

Every tiny tidbit gets blown into a major controversy, just to create clicks/income for the youtubers.
there is no longer a real objective view of newly released tech, it is al just clickbait :(

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Many successful Apple journalists, YouTubers, pundits etc…have become so because they know who butters their toast.

You don’t get advance products to review or invited to private showings if you say something negative towards Apple. These perks mean exclusive videos on their channel which equates to greater viewership and revenue.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
That’s because Apple will only ever get “mixed” reviews, instead of flat out negative reviews.
Well to be fair they made a good product which is priced a bit high. Isn’t that exactly what Apple is about.

• Love
Reactions: Argoduck

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
You need to get Tim Cook on your podcast. Tell him MacRumors has been around for many years. Tell Tim anthogag said "hello". He might pretend he doesn't know who anthogag is.

Reactions: Madhava

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
Rene Ritchie, he’s a pretty balanced and fair guy. That’s a good pick for the podcast.
Wow, someone who actually knows what's up. You are correct, he's one of the best. The characterizations I'm seeing here are people repeating what they heard other people say, because if they actually paid attention to the information he shares, it's always technically correct. Don't like his delivery? Listen to the podcast, don't watch the Youtube video. That's what I do.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Wow, someone who actually knows what's up. You are correct, he's one of the best. The characterizations I'm seeing here are people repeating what they heard other people say, because if they actually paid attention to the information he shares, it's always technically correct. Don't like his delivery? Listen to the podcast, don't watch the Youtube video. That's what I do.

pfft -- please

Rene is so far in the bag for Apple he can't even see daylight out the top

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

As a relatively regular MacBreak Weekly listener I can assure you Rene will never say anything bad about Apple. He always has some explanation for any missteps or embarrassments. He even covered for Apple during the 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard debacle. He is anything but impartial.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
This is a great comparison of Apple silicon and the latest Intel chip.

Keep in mind Intels Raptor Lake 24 core chip is coming and fits in the same cpu socket as Alder Lake.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Rene Ritchie, he’s a pretty balanced and fair guy. That’s a good pick for the podcast.

I agree. Overall it was an excellent discussion with useful information for anyone that's thinking about purchasing a Mac Studio and/or Apple Display. I was also very impressed with Ritchie and his thoughtfulness, reasoning, and subject matter breadth. And Dan did an outstanding job putting it all together and his moderation keeping the discussion focused.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
You are incorrect. It's really good. For $300 more than the LG product they used to sell, this is a great deal. It's not frail and vulnerable plastic. Apple's firmware update was flawless, and now it has a nice webcam (not great mind you, but who cares?)
How's it look in portrait?

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
He's a shill. Complete Apple propagandist. Apple's version of Baghdad Bob. He's shameful.

NPC Compliant

Suspended
Feb 6, 2019
Australia
What has to be said, that has not already be said ad nauseam ?

Every tiny tidbit gets blown into a major controversy, just to create clicks/income for the youtubers.
there is no longer a real objective view of newly released tech, it is al just clickbait :(

Mac Studio great (if not a bit overpriced for the ultra upgrade), Studio Display trash

Da_Hood

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2017
Australia
Apple users deserve their own Gamer Nexus style content. Imagine a Steve Burke type melting an M1 during thermal testing. Getting real GPU performance figures.

Reactions: PortoMavericks
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.