Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss the design of Apple's upcoming mixed-reality headset with professional product designer Marcus Kane.

AXR-Marcus-Kane-Feature-1.jpg

Marcus is an industrial designer and UX consultant who uses virtual and augmented reality headsets on a daily basis to support his workflow. He recently created detailed concept renders of what he expects Apple's mixed-reality headset will look like with YouTuber David Lewis based on rumors, Apple patent filings, and his own expertise.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

We talk through Marcus's approach to the design and what existing Apple products inspired him, looking at some of the key aspects that Apple will have had to consider with the device. We also discuss the broader user experience with the headset, including its rumored waist-mounted battery pack – which Marcus has envisioned as enclosed in a pouch on a shoulder-strap that also contains a cable to power the device, potential restriction to indoors use only, and real-world passthrough with a "reality dial."

AXR-Marcus-Kane-Feature-2.jpg

Since Marcus uses existing headset products to support his design work, we learn about some of practical use-cases for this category of device, where Apple could compete, and what key software features the company could deliver. See more of Marcus's work over in David Lewis's latest video, and follow him on Instagram and Twitter.

We also discuss some of this week's latest Apple news, including the rumor that watchOS 10 will include significant UI changes, iOS 17's purported Control Center redesign, display changes for 2025's iPhone lineup, and more.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about WWDC 2023 and whether Apple's headset will finally emerge at the event.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like

Full Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Product Designer Marcus Kane Envisions What Apple's AR/VR Headset Could Look Like

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
No way the carrying case is going to be that sensible.
Anyway, it'll be wirelessly charged from a battery hidden in a Peaky Blinders style cap

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973 and R2FX

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Is that small size really realistic of today's technology? I'm thinking of the Magic Leap which seems to be the smallest unit out there, and it's still significantly larger than these concepts, and I belive that's only AR and not VR. Initially priced at I believe $2300 I would think Apple is using similar component technology. Although that was a few years ago so maybe technology has caught up and components are smaller, plus the battery is offloaded.

I'm still having trouble seeing anyone outside of specialized industries really wearing a goggles like design, I would think it would be closer to some sort of device that's easy on/off like glasses. At least now it has a nylon band, instead of the other idiotic concept with a fluoroelastomer band. Man, this is going to be really crazy when released with all the buildup.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Apple is hoping on the same role out as the Apple Watch where it will find its identity and build momentum in a few years. It will hopefully buy them some time to perfect the technology. They might downgrade it and make it a hobby for a while like the Apple TV.

Reactions: Tagbert

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
AR seems cool but VR has zero utility to me. I don't want to escape my actual reality to enter some virtual reality. I'm perfectly happy with my actual reality and I prefer being surrounded by physical people instead of a bunch digital avatars. I want to watch TV with other people on a shared screen, laughing together where we can see each other, not in some virtual movie theater where we each have these massive goggles on us and are rendered as Memoji.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
If it looks like anything resembling a sleeping mask it will be a no-buy for me.

Apple has got to do 10x better than Meta, HTC, and Sony at designing a beautiful headset that people will actually want to wear in public and won’t make them objects of ridicule like the Google Glass. And that was a headset that only obscured a small part of your face!

It’s a tall order, but Apple are the ones who could make this a socially desirable AR/VR product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.