Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jonathan Morrison joins us on The MacRumors Show podcast this week to take a deep dive into Spatial Audio and Apple's audio technologies.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

Jonathan is a leading tech YouTuber and has moved into professional music production in recent years. He has a wealth of knowledge about audio technology and first-hand experience mixing tracks for Spatial Audio. See more of Jonathan's work on his YouTube channel.

In this episode, we discuss Spatial Audio in detail, including the new personalized Spatial Audio feature in iOS 16, thoughts on Spatialize Stereo, Spatial Audio support on devices like the Studio Display and MacBook Pro, where the technology is headed next, and more. We also take a look at future AirPods, including the AirPods Pro 2, and evaluate the state of Apple Music.

Listen to The MacRumors Show via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or subscribe by copying our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. You can also watch a video version of the podcast on our YouTube channel. If you haven't already listened to the last episode of The MacRumors Show, be sure to catch up for an in-depth chat with iJustine about the new MacBook Air.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Ross Young, Sam Kohl, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, Andru Edwards, Jon Prosser, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover going forward.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Jonathan Morrison Talks Spatial Audio

• Haha
Reactions: ikir and true god

NightfallOrchid

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2019
I like the idea of spatial audio for music, but it seems that it works best for certain styles of music, for metal (e.g. Mastodon) it just sounds very weak, but I think it sounds nice for mellower stuff, like Pink Floyd’s Division Bell or Momentary Lapse of Reason

Reactions: yadmonkey

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Just want to use this as an opportunity to say that embedded YouTube’s on iPhone in safari NEVER EVER WORK CORRECTLY. Either the volume doesn’t work, it just doesn’t play, or the gyro doesn’t work. What happened to IT JUST WORKS?

Also, whoever said you should get MKBHD? lol yeah Im sure macrumors entire yearly budget might cover a 20
Minute interview with such a character.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I like the idea of spatial audio for music, but it seems that it works best for certain styles of music, for metal (e.g. Mastodon) it just sounds very weak, but I think it sounds nice for mellower stuff, like Pink Floyd’s Division Bell or Momentary Lapse of Reason
Yeah, I was listening to Angel Dust by Faith No More on my Airpods Pro and wondering why it sounded like total crap until I realized spacial was on. Very hit or miss for me with other stuff. Would be nice to have a preference for individual albums to toggle it on or off.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Yeah, I was listening to Angel Dust by Faith No More on my Airpods Pro and wondering why it sounded like total crap until I realized spacial was on. Very hit or miss for me with other stuff. Would be nice to have a preference for individual albums to toggle it on or off.
That might actually be pretty cool on some of the Bungle or Fantomas tunes though..

Reactions: yadmonkey

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
It’s cool and all, but a perfect mix on a good pair of speakers is already 3D. We’ve forgotten that with the digitization and compression of music over the decades.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Morrison is a huge Apple shill.

Also--I guess I am just old--the music he works with is just so awful. It's antiseptic, non-threatening, has zero edge, is anodyne and is more like a sedative than anything. It's just trash, like most of the "music" produced these days.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
he bought a $5500 Apogee audio interface.

I have been in and out of lots of professional recording studios. No one uses Apogee in pro studios where they cut Tons of Albums

They use an SSL console.

What a joke. $5500 for an apogee connected to a 14 inch MacBook Pro M1. LOL

Good luck paying that off.

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

robbo_syd

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
I agree with those saying this should be more opt in by app/content. My AppleTV likes to enable it to the AirPods periodically (maybe after an update) and it just completely ruins the "fullness" of normal stereo content, and instead you feel like you are listening to TV in a hospital ward. The number of non-tech users who now think their headphones are faulty must be out of control. Note that it's not just Apple, my new Windows 11 work laptop also has "enhance audio" on by default, which does anything BUT enhance the audio...

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
he bought a $5500 Apogee audio interface.

I have been in and out of lots of professional recording studios. No one uses Apogee in pro studios where they cut Tons of Albums

They use an SSL console.

What a joke. $5500 for an apogee connected to a 14 inch MacBook Pro M1. LOL

Good luck paying that off.

You forgot Tridents, Neves, APIs, Neotek, Toft, etc.. SSL isnt the only console out there and not a lot of folks want to pay more than the cost of their car every year for the HVAC and electricity to keep a 4000/9000 series running.

• Love
Reactions: -DMN- and ToxicBlue

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
1. Please - introduce all three of you. Assume new folks like me would like to hear what you have to say and would like to know the names of the people doing the talking. For this posting I'll call you L, M, & R (left, middle, right).

2. C pointed out that he uses the AirPods 3 for reference when doing spacial audio work. L interpreted C's comment for us as: C uses worst case earbuds. It became clear that that's not at all what C meant. It became clear that C has significant respect for the AirPods 3 - even over other AirPods.

3. Qobuz was not mentioned as an excellent lossless hi res streaming source. I think it's the best. It hails from Europe but it is available here in the U.S. Using AirPods Max via Qobuz I'm currently listening to M's suggested Julie Wolf's Hot Killer album on Qobuz. Wow - wicked Bass.

4. My streamed music comes from a BlueSound Node 2i Bluetooth streamer (I also use it hardwired to an amp and STAX earphones). The Node 2i works well with the Sonys, with Sennheiser TW2s, and with B&W's Pi7s, and now my AirPods Max (finally fixed the Bluetooth connection).

Last edited:

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
My brother who’s a bit of an audiophile was really impressed with all this stuff

I couldn’t hear anything special but then again I’ve got tinnitus in my left ear so god knows what was playing 😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.