Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Gruber joins us this week on The MacRumors Show podcast to discuss the key features of macOS Ventura and upcoming Mac models.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

John is a technology blogger, UI designer, and the inventor of Markdown. He has written for his Apple and technology-focused blog, Daring Fireball, since 2002, and hosts The Talk Show Podcast, which has featured high-profile guests from Apple such as Phil Schiller, Eddy Cue, and Craig Federighi. See John's work on daringfireball.net and follow him on Twitter @gruber.

In this episode, we take a closer look at new features in macOS Ventura like Stage Manager, Continuity Camera, and the redesigned System Settings app. We discuss the current state of the Mac lineup and our favorite models, whether the launch of new Mac models is delayed, and upgrades from next-generation MacBook Pro models. With Apple now passing the initial timeframe it set out to transition the entire Mac lineup to Apple silicon, we also take a look at what to expect from the upcoming Mac Pro.

Listen to The MacRumors Show using apps like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or subscribe by copying our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. You can also watch a video version of the podcast on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the last episode of The MacRumors Show, be sure to catch up for a deep dive into iPadOS 16 and Stage Manager with Federico Viticci.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Sam Kohl, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, Andru Edwards, Jon Prosser, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: John Gruber Talks macOS Ventura and Upcoming Macs

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Gruber has seemed to lost credibility in the Apple community. He took the over enthusiasm for Apple a little too far and didn't sometimes take of the rose colored glasses when Apple made mistakes. Its like the company can't do not wrong in his eyes. Didn't know Steve Jobs quoting you once could go to someone's head so easily.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I know he covers Apple mostly but the only time he talks about other companies in his blog is when they did something bad, or to criticize them.

Reactions: Pitogyro

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Gruber has seemed to lost credibility in the Apple community. He took the over enthusiasm for Apple a little too far and didn't sometimes take of the rose colored glasses when Apple made mistakes. Its like the company can't do not wrong in his eyes. Didn't know Steve Jobs quoting you once could go to someone's head so easily.

That's the problem in a nutshell (bold emphasis mine)

A few years ago now I finally unsubscribed from everything of his, everywhere (social, pods, etc)...after over a decade of following him. It bummed me out honestly, but I realized how little I was getting out of listening to him anymore.

He gets referenced as though he's an "analyst", but he's a pretty biased fan of Apple in all honesty.
If you just want very very pro-Apple slant on things, he's a perfect person to deliver it

Blue Nova

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2021
0:48:24 my comment about delayed Macs. They are late, I hope a new iMacs 27" and 32" with M3, in 2023. They should have released a faster machine when they release the iMacs 24", though they were not for graphics and video production.
Now I am running an iMac (late 2015) on Catalina, I cannot upgrade to new photoshop and other 3D like Adobe
Substance, non of them will work on my iMac. An iMac Pro requires a display which could cost alone $2,500 plus. I still prefer a one in all iMac.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
That's the problem in a nutshell (bold emphasis mine)

A few years ago now I finally unsubscribed from everything of his, everywhere (social, pods, etc)...after over a decade of following him. It bummed me out honestly, but I realized how little I was getting out of listening to him anymore.

He gets referenced as though he's an "analyst", but he's a pretty biased fan of Apple in all honesty.
If you just want very very pro-Apple slant on things, he's a perfect person to deliver it
That's another reason I've stopped following him regularly. He rarely calls Apple out on anything and when/if he ever does he always couches it in the most passive-aggressive terms so as not to upset anyone at Apple and ruin his ability to do softball "interviews" (which are really just prearranged/prescreened pieces of Apple PR) or get prereleased products.

Like a few people here, he's never objectionable.

post_toastie

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Largely agreed with up until they went off the rails about 5G support in the MacBook Pro. Just tether the damn thing to your phone. I’ve not heard anyone else request this.

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

macbetta

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2021
Lol so many haters in these comments. Its almost like if you don't constantly add skepticism to every single thing you say you immediately become the target of comment warriors everywhere.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Lol so many haters in these comments. Its almost like if you don't constantly add skepticism to every single thing you say you immediately become the target of comment warriors everywhere.
No. It's the fact that he never calls out Apple for anything that's the problem. No matter how big the issue is, if it involves Apple, Gruber will go to any lengths he can to minimize it or pretend it doesn't exsist.

He and Rene Richie are two peas in the same pod.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
No matter how big the issue is, if it involves Apple, Gruber will go to any lengths he can to minimize it or pretend it doesn't exsist.
He’s been blasting Stage Manager on iOS and System Settings in Ventura for months now on DF, on The Talk Show, and on Dithering. His vociferous blogging and podcasting about Safari’s new tab layout last summer all but reversed the feature.

Love all the people in this thread outing themselves as not knowing what they’re talking about.

fjauma

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2017
Thanks for the video. Cellular connectivity on a Macbook (When fairily priced) would be the most welcome to me! Macbooks embrace portability also, not to the extends of iPads but connectivity would be a great welcome. Stage Manager needs refinement, but so far a good direction. An basic app to work with PDF's for students and markup on iPad (a bit like preview) would be a great addition.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
Nope.
Gruber is on the same “not willing to risk brain damage by listening to this moron” list as:
iJustine - vacuous to the nth degree
Rene Ritchie - peak sycophantic banality
I usually listen to the podcast but pass when these folks are on. Max Tech would also make the moron list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.