Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, Christopher Lawley joins us to discuss iPadOS 17 and the next-generation iPad Pro.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

Christopher is a YouTuber dedicated to the iPad, automation, and productivity. He was a full-time iPad user for several years, conducting all of his content creation, including video editing and podcasting, from the device, before feeling forced to switch back to the Mac due to the direction of iPadOS.

We get his insights on Apple's upcoming iPadOS 17 update and the areas he feels Apple should focus on this year, with particular attention to some of the key issues he believes Apple needs to address with Stage Manager. We also touch on the need for "Pro" apps like Final Cut Pro and Xcode, a Notification Center and Control Center redesign, Lock Screen customization, and more.

In addition, we talk through some of the most important information around the next-generation iPad Pro models, which are rumored to sport 11.1-inch and 13-inch OLED displays, thinner and lighter designs, the M3 chip, and wireless charging. We also briefly discuss the rumored price rises that are planned for the device owing to its more costly OLED display components – meaning that the 11.1- and 13-inch models could start at approximately $1,500 and $1,800, respectively.

As usual, we look at some of the week's biggest rumors, including the iPhone 15 Pro's slimmer bezels and new mute button, as well as the delay of Apple's first HomePod with a display. See more of Christopher's work on his YouTube channel and follow him on Mastodon @ChrisLawley.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about some of the key health and fitness features rumored to come to future AirPods models.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Frank McShan, David Lewis, Andru Edwards, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, and Mark Gurman. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Christopher Lawley Talks iPadOS 17 and Next-Gen iPad Pro

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
There were three things from this episode I want to address

1. I would love a macrumers article on shortcuts, like what they are, how to create them, and just a Mac style Shortcuts 101 guide. I was trying to use shortcuts for a time and got incredibly confused and gave up. I'm sure I can have a good use for Shortcuts (especially with Music and trying not to use my phone while driving a lot, since I can't use Car Play and had to settle for a mount), but I wish it was more simplified because I feel dumb when I see that main screen and not know what to do.

2. I love Meatloaf sandwiches. Heck, I think I love Meatloaf sandwiches more than the actual Meatloaf dinner itself.

3. I would love interactive widgets on the Ipad. It seems like I sould be able to get a live stock tracker on it, or be able to use Fidelity's app easily on it more than the Iphone. I use the Ipad mostly for reading or surfing the web or watching Sports, but I need more uses for it. Why would I have the mac and the Ipad together. They both should be able to do the same kind of work, meaning just get rid of IpadOS and make MacOS much bigger by merging the two.

Last edited:

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
iPad OS needs to be revamped!
How so? Parts of it? The entire thing--both hardware and software? Without specifics, this suggestion has no meaning to me.
In addition, I really want Apple to release a 16" iPad Pro.
Way too big and cumbersome. How will you handle it physically and use it? Upright, tilted, flat. What are the advantages of this over an MacBookAir of MacBookPro at that size?

Rooster 🐓

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
How so? Parts of it? The entire thing--both hardware and software? Without specifics, this suggestion has no meaning to me.

Way too big and cumbersome. How will you handle it physically and use it? Upright, tilted, flat. What are the advantages of this over an MacBookAir of MacBookPro at that size?
On an adjustable magnet Smart Connector stand with no wires and an Apple Pencil - like an artist with a big canvas on an easel. Great device for media consumption too. How big was the first issue iPhone??

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
iPad OS needs to be revamped! In addition, I really want Apple to release a 16" iPad Pro.
Unless/Until Apple does something more with the iPad OS, I don't really see the point. I know several people who really wanted to use the 12.9" as more of a laptop replacement and ended up giving up on it and it wasn't because the screen wasn't big enough, it was because the OS didn't do what they wanted.

DPL145$

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Why are we discussing 'rumors' shouldn't this have all come out at the March Event with all the new devices.....oh wait, the rumors of a March Event were more then a little off....... lets face it, current 'rumors' have been rumors for months...the youtuber world has more then beaten iPad rumors to death, and then some. They really have NO clue as to what is coming and when. Really loving my M3 15in Macbook Air....oh wait....that doesn't exist yet-What happened youtubers had it scheduled it for March...

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
YES, big time... To be honest I'm not even sure why I'm here in the first place... maybe to check if there is someone else with this opinion.... I mean 15 minutes brainstorming about position of the button... But as I'm sure you know, they'll keep making these as long as we keep clicking...
I’m not clicking any of these kinds of videos.

There’s no substantial leak and really no meaningful news on the next thing in iPads.

Nothing changes just because they bring on popular tech-sphere person X.

The perpetual rumor mill and hunger for new tech products is embarrassing at this point.

The video and this post and all our comments are meaningless because there’s absolutely nothing to talk about right now.

-A giant nothing burger is all it is!

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
How-much-ever Apple and Tim Cook do "Chest Thumping" that iPadOS is desktop replacement, everyone and their dog knows that it is just a glorified iOS and limited in every possible way with iPad Pros costing more than entry level full fledged MBPs.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
How-much-ever Apple and Tim Cook do "Chest Thumping" that iPadOS is desktop replacement, everyone and their dog knows that it is just a glorified iOS and limited in every possible way with iPad Pros costing more than entry level full fledged MBPs.
Nobody at Apple has ever called an iPad a desktop replacement or even a laptop replacement. All three types have overlapping functionality, but none of the three can completely replace any of the other two. Apple called it a computer, not a laptop or desktop.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

Maybe not this year but I'm convinced we'll get a whole new generation of OS to coincide with the launch of the touchscreen Mac's. This will see iPad and Mac share the same core OS with the interface adapting on input method (touch or pointer). This will crucially bring touch to Mac, but also bring Mac like functionality to the iPad.

• Disagree
Reactions: David1964

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
1500 starting price for a computing device without multi-tasking capability? Hope that rumor is off otherwise this will probably be DOA
It does have multitasking in a few different forms just not at the same level as a Mac

• Haha
Reactions: nvmls

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Chris Lawley is the best iPad Pro specific YouTuber out there. His video are always informative, but also, they have a nice aesthetic to them.

I go back and forth with my MBA and iPad Pro. But I always come back to my iPad Pro. I am definitely always going to own one. I’ll probably end up with a 15” MBA and the 11” iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.