Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber and TechnoBuffalo founder Jon Rettinger joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss the iPhone 15 lineup and what it will take to make the iPhone exciting again.

We reflect on some of the iPhone 15 Pro's key upgrades, such as a Thunderbolt USB-C port and a titanium chassis, and the long-term direction of the iPhone. We also talk switching to Android, the state of foldable smartphones and Apple Watch rivals, the possibility of iMessage coming to Android, and the nature of Apple's vehicle project.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up with our discussion about two of the most significantly redesigned devices Apple is rumored to have in store: The "Apple Watch X" and the fourth-generation iPhone SE.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Mark Gurman, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie. You can also head over to... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Can iPhone 15 Make the iPhone Exciting Again? ft. Jon Rettinger

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Not sure if excitement will increase per se, but I do think they will sell many more iPhone 15/15 Plus since they get dynamic island and to the public, that alone is a design change that may be worth upgrading for.
Unless you're with a provider that gives you a good rebated price, I don't really see dynamic island as the game changing feature we'd hoped it would be. But maybe I'm wrong. Personally, it didn't get me excited enough to upgrade from my 12 pro last year and won't this year either.

daveup2bat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
California
Unless you're with a provider that gives you a good rebated price, I don't really see dynamic island as the game changing feature we'd hoped it would be. But maybe I'm wrong. Personally, it didn't get me excited enough to upgrade from my 12 pro last year and won't this year either.
Dynamic island is a short-term feature, once Apple figures out how to remove the need for it and put everything under the glass it will be gone.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The point is dynamic island is a perceived design change, and it is, in the eyes of the public. The 14 looked exactly like the 13. Same notch, same design. The 15 looks like the 14 Pro and people will see that. Nothing to do with how functional it is.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I get excited for each iPhone every year, but I haven’t been blow away in a while. and it is what it is. it’s a smartphone that does a million things. does everything I need it to do.

having both Face ID and Touch ID on the iPhone would be huge for me.

hardware wise, I’m not sure what more I want. USB-C is a very welcome change though.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
The only thing to make the iPhone exciting is a folding display, but given the iffy quality of folding displays even now...

I do think iPhone 16 could go to a new design that pinches a lot of what the Fairphone pioneered, though, especially with the potentially occasional user replacement of batteries.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Nice show. I agree about wanting a more exciting iPhone, especially a fold or flip.

And the Apple watch is the king of smart watches, though the Samsung Galaxy watch 6th gen is getting a lot closer in functionality. I actually like square smart watches rather than round, it works better for text, but I did buy a galaxy watch 6 with my Flip5 purchase, and it's usable. And lighter.

imessage really isn't a draw for me, so I don't really care if Apple brings it to android or not.

cutlub

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
All I want is better battery life because my 14 Pro's is atrocious. I don't need for them to be exciting, just reliable and efficient.

Search for the top 10 best selling phones in America. They aren't exactly the most exciting phones on the market. People on Apple podcasts and tech message board (like me) may want 'excitement'. Most just a good phone.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Dynamic island is a short-term feature, once Apple figures out how to remove the need for it and put everything under the glass it will be gone.
They might still keep it around but it would a lot less obtrusive and users should be able to disable if they don't want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.