Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss the announcement of Apple's upcoming "Let loose" event, where the company is widely expected to announce new iPad models and accessories.

Apple's event invite shows an artistic render of an Apple Pencil, suggesting that iPads will be a focus of the event. Apple CEO Tim Cook has also alluded to the Apple Pencil in relation to the event and a series of promotional Apple logos appear to hint at upcoming illustration capabilities. Apple has not released any new iPads since October 2022, so this event has been a long time coming.

Apple is expected to announce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, along with updated Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard accessories. Here is everything that has been rumored:
Apple's upcoming special event will take place on Tuesday, May 7 at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (10 a.m. Eastern Time), with a live stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube as usual. The event invitation does not mention an in-person component, with Apple inviting the media to watch online alongside the general public. It will take place just over a month before Apple's annual developers conference WWDC, which runs from June 10 through June 14.

The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the latest AI consumer technology and Apple's rumored plans to bring major AI-focused hardware enhancements to the Mac later this year.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sul... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple's iPad Event Finally Announced!

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
ipad pro ipad air magic keyboard and new apple pencil...if all these 4 are announced Mark G has 100% accuracy
Good for him

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

barabba9174-bis

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
The Independent said there's an event in London (maybe they are invited? they are based in London) and they said that's the reason of the early time. "Apple will stream the launch as a live video around the world, but it will be accompanied by an event in London, which may explain the unusually early launch. The company has almost held its launches at its home in California, and holding it in the UK represents a break with tradition."

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I want to buy my wife an iPad for mother's day. She just gave birth to our first baby in Feb and she's done an amazing job as a mother so far. The last time I bought her an iPad was 8 years ago (16gb iPad mini) and she used it every day until it died a couple years ago. Which one should I get her?

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA

Apple today announced iPad and iPad Pro, featuring an industry-first hypercolor-infused back glass with a stunning, textured matte finish, and a new contoured edge on the titanium enclosure. Both models feature the new Dynamic Archipelago, and an advanced camera system designed to help users take fantastic photos of everyday moments in their lives. A powerful 49MP Main camera enables super-duper-high-resolution photos and a new 2x Telephoto option to give users a total of three optical zoom levels — like having a third camera. The iPap lineup also introduces the next generation of pencils, making it easier to scribble cat drawings with great detail and paper-like performance. Building on Apple’s innovative satellite infrastructure, Apple Drones via satellite can connect users to the App Store if they need the latest Candy Crush while off the grid. With M3 Mobile for powerful, proven performance; a Thunderbolt 4 connector; Precision AI for Siri; and industry-leading durability features, iPad and iPad Pro represent a huge leap forward.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss the announcement of Apple's upcoming "Let loose" event, where the company is widely expected to announce new iPad models and accessories.

Apple's event invite shows an artistic render of an Apple Pencil, suggesting that iPads will be a focus of the event. Apple CEO Tim Cook has also alluded to the Apple Pencil in relation to the event and a series of promotional Apple logos appear to hint at upcoming illustration capabilities. Apple has not released any new iPads since October 2022, so this event has been a long time coming.

Apple is expected to announce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, along with updated Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard accessories. Here is everything that has been rumored:

Apple's upcoming special event will take place on Tuesday, May 7 at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (10 a.m. Eastern Time), with a live stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube as usual. The event invitation does not mention an in-person component, with Apple inviting the media to watch online alongside the general public. It will take place just over a month before Apple's annual developers conference WWDC, which runs from June 10 through June 14.

The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the latest AI consumer technology and Apple's rumored plans to bring major AI-focused hardware enhancements to the Mac later this year.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sul... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple's iPad Event Finally Announced!

The Ipad is too heavy, especially to read books or text/web, and as a replacement to a desktop with a big screen (or macbook hooked up to a big creen), it's a joke, starting with no finder, etc..

My dream Ipad would be a mini one (or just a tad bigger), but really light, 150/190 g or something like that, good screen, power I don't care that much, don't care about games

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Hmm, what Apple accessory has been done in white and silver?

Attachments

• 6474573_sd.jpg
    6474573_sd.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 28

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Funny, I just bought a 2021 entry iPad. We also have a ... 2018 model i think in the house. For our purposes they are indistinguishable.

If you're not a graphic artist [1] and don't want to pay as much as for a laptop for a tablet and keyboard combo, do the newer/more expensive iPads bring any benefits now?

[1] I know about drawing on ipads, I have a relative who uses one all the time. It just doesn't help me with anything.

Reactions: Fuzzball84 and Huck

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple does need to improve the pencil. They need to stay ahead of all the $10 pencil sellers on Amazon and Aliexpress. I have one, paid $12 for it and in some ways, it is better than Apple's and in some ways not as good.

Apple needs to raise the bar (and lower the price)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Funny, I just bought a 2021 entry iPad. We also have a ... 2018 model i think in the house. For our purposes they are indistinguishable.

If you're not a graphic artist [1] and don't want to pay as much as for a laptop for a tablet and keyboard combo, do the newer/more expensive iPads bring any benefits now?

[1] I know about drawing on ipads, I have a relative who uses one all the time. It just doesn't help me with anything.
You are 100% correct, if you only want to watch Youtube cat videos and order stuff from Amazon, buy a $200 Chromebook. They realy are a great value.

The iPad is best if you need to run apps that take lots of INPUT from the user, like drawing or note-taking, and at the same time you need maximum portability. They are perfect for a student. But you need a "real computer" at home

The keyboard accessory makes the iPad as big and heavy as at Macbook Air, The air is a better computer if that is what you need.

I have a Mac Mini (M2-Pro) and a 10th gen iPad. The combination works well.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
You are 100% correct, if you only want to watch Youtube cat videos and order stuff from Amazon, buy a $200 Chromebook. They realy are a great value.

I don't know, the iPad works much better for reading and watching cat videos in bed than anything in a laptop form factor, no matter how cheap.

The iPad is best if you need to run apps that take lots of INPUT from the user, like drawing or note-taking, and at the same time you need maximum portability. They are perfect for a student. But you need a "real computer" at home

Ah sorry, I'm an old fart and lug around spiral A4 math notebooks for taking notes. Get off my lawn!

The keyboard accessory makes the iPad as big and heavy as at Macbook Air, The air is a better computer if that is what you need.

I have a Mac Mini (M2-Pro) and a 10th gen iPad. The combination works well.

Oh don't ask how many desktops and laptops I have at home, Apple or not. I'm just wondering if there is an use case that I missed for the "powerful" tablets.

Reactions: Seanm87

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
THE IPAD IS WAY TOO HEAVY
I have to admit I continue to be surprised how heavy my M1 12.9" iPad Pro is with the Magic Keyboard when I shoulder a sling bag with this rig. I've even resorted to adding a wider shoulder strap with a padded, semi-stretchy strap pad, and that helps a little. Unfortunately I can use small backpack style bags due to a shoulder injury.

I'm guessing the new iPad Pro 13" isn't going to be much better weight wise. Some days, as I wait for the release of the new iPad Pro I wonder if I should be looking at an iPad Air? I would miss the iPad's screen and built in cellular.

So currently, for trips I tote the M1 iPad with only the plain, non-keyboard/trackpad folio, and pack the Magic Keyboard in my luggage.

• Haha
Reactions: David1964

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
I want to buy my wife an iPad for mother's day. She just gave birth to our first baby in Feb and she's done an amazing job as a mother so far. The last time I bought her an iPad was 8 years ago (16gb iPad mini) and she used it every day until it died a couple years ago. Which one should I get her?
The latest Air is perfect for most needs/uses.

Reactions: GREEN4U

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Trying to find a good Cribbage app for my iPad. Want to pay for it, and ensure it does not show ads or in-app purchases. Is there a way to filter out apps that do this when searching on "Cribbage" (first app shown is an ad for Gin Rummy)?? Man the app store is a slimy, scary place which I guess Apple likes (more rev I'd guess from ads/in-app vs. straight buy). TIA. NSC.

Andy N 500

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024

Imagine if a new Apple Pencil worked on AND off screen. So it would function as both a pen when doing drawings, and then a hover mouse on most surfaces. It would sure increase the range of the IPad in work mode.

The pencil would be “Let Loose” to wander across surfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.