Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss Apple Intelligence, the apparent suspension of work on the second-generation Vision Pro headset, and Apple's rumored plans to move to thinner device designs.

Apple Intelligence is Apple's upcoming personalized AI experience for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. We look at the device limitations around the feature and address speculation that older models could have utilized the cloud processing to offer Apple Intelligence. While cloud computing is an important part of Apple's AI solution, on-device processing plays a crucial role in making Apple Intelligence functional, private, and efficient. We discuss these device requirements, including the necessity for M1 or later chips in Macs and iPads, and how these specifications should ensure a good user experience. We also explore the gradual rollout of Apple Intelligence and its implications and consider the potential workflows with Apple Intelligence, contemplating what might be possible with advanced AI integration across apps.

Next, we discuss the suspension of work on the second-generation Apple Vision Pro headset. Although Apple had reportedly been focusing on developing a lower-cost headset for some time, the news of Apple's decision to halt work the second-generation Vision Pro still comes as a surprise. We examine what this means for the future of the Apple Vision product line, including the potential benefits and drawbacks of prioritizing a less expensive model.

Lastly, we turn our attention to the future of Apple's devices, particularly the company's recently reported decision to again move toward thinner and lighter products. We delve into the ongoing debate between the benefits of thinner, more portable devices versus thicker ones with larger batteries. The M4 iPad Pro models and the upcoming "iPhone 17 Slim" demonstrate this trend, touting redesigns that aim to offer a more streamlined form factor without sacrificing battery life. We also discuss the anticipated MacBook Pro models with M4 series chips that are now expected to launch later this year. The MacRumors Show has its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion recorded at Apple Park about all of the major updates coming to Apple's operating systems later this year and Apple Intelligence.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser,... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple Intelligence, Vision Pro 2 Suspended, and Thinner Device Rumors

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
So there’s obviously someone else at Apple that has an obsession with thin devices. I bought a MacBook Air M2 but I actually liked the feel of the chunkier Pro. It felt far more robust and less fragile. But I couldn’t justify buying the Pro only because it’s thicker 😂

Reactions: Huck and Morod

applegeek2024

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2024
SO, **** that they spend major bucks and time on.. car and this.. just a crap. And then as a last effort to haul in AI because they fail to predict this, they are just jumping on the bandwagon by trying to bring chatgpt into the mix(meaning, zero work once again on apple side).

Again, also failure on to bring real OS to ipad.. so what they have done in the past 5 years???

barabba9174-bis

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
As for Mark Gurman: “Prior to the Vision Pro release, Apple shifted resources to the cheaper one, as I wrote earlier this year. Months ago, the Vision Pro 2 was postponed until the end of 2026 at the earliest so engineers could focus on low-end. Nothing has changed.”

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I think Apple isn't doing anything they haven't done before by restricting what they hope to be a big new feature to just their most expensive model. They've got a history of doing it, so I don't see why anyone is surprised by it now.

Anyone who wants ai on their existing phone ipad or mac will have any of the about 8000 other options, from apps to web browsers to plugins, that all use it just fine without having to rely on Apples own apparently very difficult and fragile ai implementation.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Has their been ONE successful product developed solely under Tim Cook's leadership?

Take your time. I'll Wait.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
SO, **** that they spend major bucks and time on.. car and this.. just a crap. And then as a last effort to haul in AI because they fail to predict this, they are just jumping on the bandwagon by trying to bring chatgpt into the mix(meaning, zero work once again on apple side).

Again, also failure on to bring real OS to ipad.. so what they have done in the past 5 years???
Counted money.

• Love
Reactions: arkitect and brgjoe

F-Trunks

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2021
This is the first time i've seen the video of the podcast and that is NOT what I expected Hartley to look like lmao. he's so young!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So there’s obviously someone else at Apple that has an obsession with thin devices. I bought a MacBook Air M2 but I actually liked the feel of the chunkier Pro. It felt far more robust and less fragile. But I couldn’t justify buying the Pro only because it’s thicker 😂
It’s only 200 more than the equivalent Air and for that you get a better screen, better speakers, and active cooling.

Reactions: arkitect

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
It’s only 200 more than the equivalent Air and for that you get a better screen, better speakers, and active cooling.
It was more than 200 unknowns difference in my country.

And I’m not paying 200 plus more to Apple for a thicker device. I didn’t need a better screen, active cooling? I didn’t need that.. speakers? I mean I might watch the odd movie but I’d use my AirPods… so no… rather buy their shares, save the money or spend it on something else.

That’s why they are kings of the upsell. It’s only X more. But if you did that for everything you were buying, a fool would quickly be separated from their money. 😀

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.