Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber and podcaster Andru Edwards joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss the rumored "iPhone Ultra" model that could emerge next year.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

According to a recent report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple has discussed offering a new top-of-the-line iPhone alongside the "Pro" and "Pro Max" models in 2024 at the earliest. Based on this timeframe, the device would be part of the iPhone 16 lineup or later.

Gurman initially said there was "potential" for an "iPhone 15 Ultra" to replace the "iPhone 15 Pro Max" this year, but he has since revised that prediction, suggesting Apple might release an even higher-end "Ultra" model above both Pro variants next year instead.

Gurman speculated that the future device could feature additional camera improvements, a faster chip, a larger display, and perhaps a portless design without Lightning or USB-C. He also said the device would be "pricier" than the iPhone 14 Pro Max, which starts at $1,099.

iphone-ultra-concept-daehnert.jpeg
iPhone Ultra concept by Jonas Daehnert

We take a look at some of the biggest news from the past week, including reports that Apple may not update the Mac Studio with the M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips due to its similarity with the upcoming Apple silicon Mac Pro, iPhone reverse wireless charging for accessories like AirPods is still in the works, and the second-generation AirPods Max may not launch until the second half of 2024 at the earliest.

Andru also tells us about his recent experience interviewing Apple's Laura Metz, the Director of Product Marketing, Anand Shimpi of Hardware Engineering, and Tuba Yalcin from the Pro Workflow team to discuss the design process behind Apple silicon, the M2 chip, the M2 Max MacBook Pro, the M2 Pro Mac mini, and more. See the full interview over on his YouTube channel, and follow him on Twitter @AndruEdwards.

Finally, we also take a look at when Apple's next event could be and what it could entail, as devices like the company's mixed-reality headset and Apple silicon Mac Pro seemingly approach announcement.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion on Samsung's newly announced Galaxy S23 lineup, reviews of the new HomePod, and the latest rumors around Apple's first foldable device.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Andru Edwards Talks 'iPhone Ultra'

rmiller065

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
the Apple Watch Ultra was to attract those extreme activity users. Not sure why you'd have an iPhone Ultra 🤷

Reactions: Doc Evils

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
One of these days a YouTube channel might employ someone with actual graphic design skills to build a thumbnail. This isn‘t a dig against Macrumors specifically; pretty much every channel is guilty of the gurning look at some point.

They don’t all need to be Lucasfilm movie poster quality but heck, you can be lazy and employ an AI to do it for you for free.

the Apple Watch Ultra was to attract those extreme activity users. Not sure why you'd have an iPhone Ultra 🤷
The market is moving away from low-cost phones.

I would be happy if it just offers
  • Titanium Frame
  • 2500 + nits brightness
  • 48-72 Hours of solid battery life
Also, Dan made some excellent points about the iPhone numbering. It's becoming too much and it's frustrating. Apple needs to go back to keeping the name simple. Heck, leave it as iPhone. Let the customers decide. Too many options and names are not good. (The iPhone names such as Pro/Pro Max/Ultra/Extreme are getting out of hand). Lastly, He seems frustrated with the whole iPhone numbering, hahah! I agree with him. 32:54 - 40:26. Solid points! 👏

Last edited:

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
I think that Apple suffer from one thing. When they wanna adopt new progressive technology it needs to find supplier who can produce that particular part in best quality, huge amount and reasonable price. With much more expensive phone that wont sell in so huge quantities they can put newer tech inside and keep up with other brands who produce many different phones who sells in lower amount and can adopt newest tech much easier.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I hope you guys are wrong about iPhone Ultra because it would be much better if it is 'rugged' like the Watch Ultra. It should be port-less, waterproof to 50 or 100 m, no camera bump because it is thicker, and because it is rugged...a case is perhaps not needed like current iPhones. If you need really fast transfer speeds for video content get iPhone Pro.

Mac Studio should be changed to Mac mini Studio. Studio looks like a taller mini.

The Pro is doing the best likely because everyone wants the best device and most people are getting it from carriers on a 2 year plan.

Last edited:

claude31

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Toulouse, France
There was a long discussion here on which iPhones models and the confusion of todays 14, 14 Plus, Pro and Pro Max.

My 2 cents on this.

Presently, there are 2 dimensions in organising the iPhone 14 models:
- "Performance" (processor, dynamic island…)
- Screen size
Which gives the following segmentation:
6.7.....Plus.....Pro Max
6.1.....14.......Pro
........<--- Perf --->

How adding an ultra there ? Probably not adding an Ultra at top right or replacing Pro max by Ultra. But drop Plus which does not differentiate enough
6.7...............Pro Max.......Ultra
6.1.....15.......Pro
..........<------ Perf --------->

Making 15 really entry point, only small screen. Pro and Pro Max as of today, for the 2 sizes. And Ultra only in large size and more performance (a la Watch Ultra).

That creates a clear choice logic from 15 to Ultra.

Last edited:

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Wow. Apple copying Samsung, or we just pretending it’s not a thing.

And let me guess, gonna milk this body shape another year and then give us the privilege of foldable a for $2.5k? Lol I’m so done

Apple needs to diversify industries or something where they can innovate because phones ain’t it

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Wow. Apple copying Samsung, or we just pretending it’s not a thing.

And let me guess, gonna milk this body shape another year and then give us the privilege of foldable a for $2.5k? Lol I’m so done

Apple needs to diversify industries or something where they can innovate because phones ain’t it
If Apple includes USB 3 in an iPhone for the first time, it would be copying Samsung who did it 10 years ago in 2013 with the Note 3.

At this point, Apple should at least include Thunderbolt 4 since it is currently included in Macs.

Tim Cook is a mediocre MBA suit who shamelessly cuts as many corners as possible to increase profits. There's a reason why despite the latest iPad having a USB-C connecter (which is a good thing), it is still limited to USB 2.0 speeds, just like the first iPad nearly released around 13 years ago in 2010, and just like the 4th generation iPod released around 19 years ago in 2004.

Reactions: alphasports

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
At first I thought that an even higher priced Ultra iphone was a sneaky way of charging more for features that should be on the iphone pro max… but then I read about it possibly being portless, and it makes sense that Apple would want to test the waters this way. See if people will buy it.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Unless they can bring out an iPhone that can clean my house for me, there really isn't anything they could do to make the Pro Max any better. Sure their marketing BS can paint a pretty picture of it, but even the Pro Max is overpriced and doesn't really live up to the hype at all. The cameras are total garbage when compared to traditional cameras. Even the 1" sensor cameras blow smartphone cameras out of the water, and APS-C and FF are way better. Photons don't scale, they are always proton-sized, so a small POS of a sensor is not going to let in enough light to take decent photos. I don't care what kind of digital processing you do to those photos, they are garbage for anything other than posting your ugly mug on social media! And trying to take photos from a useless camera interface is like pulling your own teeth, it is excruciatingly painful! iPhone "Ultra" will equal nothing but an overpriced phone worth at most only about $500.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Let’s get hot and bothered over a phone that we’re just gonna use to comment to Macrumors podcasts and upload pictures to social media that will just be downgraded anyway. Has anyone on the forums made a movie yet from their iPhone 13/14 Pro/Max device? I was expecting YouTube to be flooded with free content by now.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
LOL, I don't know why Apple needs another extreme pro iPhone? It's already as expensive as it is, and now Apple wants more of your $$$ with another gigantic phone?

Next, it will come with orange buttons, and having options of alpine rugged case, along with trail and ocean silicon case?

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I been buying the Pro iPhone because I wanted the best in the world and I could afford it. But if Ultra is going to be pushing the best in the world to a price I can't afford, I wonder if I would still buy the Pro or if I would just settle for the regular iPhone. Or even the iPhone SE.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Smartphones are dead. Nearly everything has been said and done regarding this topic and there is little evolution as long as hardware is concerned.
We can expect software evolution, something like a dramatically enhanced Siri or maybe Europs DMA will allow us to install another Voice assistant as the default one. Bit those things happen in the cloud and you don't need a different hardware.

Ultra, Max, Pro, Super Deluxe - whatever. Is this everything Apple can do today? 100% bugfree iOS would be something I'm really interested in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.