Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Tried and tried and I just find the Contact Posters to be a downgrade.
I like having my contacts managed across devices and systems and having iOS specific setup with "Posters" doesnt work for me.
Would appreciate simple setting to disable them.

Also - new dialing screen seems... strangely positioned.
Icons positions in the lower part of the screen (to acomodate for Contact Poster) seems somehow misplaced - and this type of UI decisons is not something I would have ever expected to see from Apple.

Wondered if there are any similar thoughts.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Icons positions in the lower part of the screen (to acomodate for Contact Poster) seems somehow misplaced - and this type of UI decisons is not something I would have ever expected to see from Apple.
I disagree with this strongly.

Especially now in the age of large phones, and especially with the chance that next year’s models will be even bigger, the call controls being at the very bottom is crucial.

Most people are holding their phones where their thumb’s range is going to be the bottom 1/3rd to 1/4th of the screen. Having the controls at the bottom makes them immediately more accessible, which is crucial with one handed use.

I’m surprised it actually took this long for Apple to do it, as most other large screen devices take this same approach for the same reason, and have for years.

Center buttons worked when we had 3-5” screens, but we’re pushing past 6”, potentially hitting the border of 7” next year. If anything, even more facets of the system can be changed to be more accessible on large screens.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
I agree with your complaint overall. My issue isn't with the placement of the UI for the Phone.app. It is in a different place so I'm kind of having to build a new muscle memory and that's always a new challenge. But I do find that some contact photos, when enlarged for contact posters, do present a reduced contrast with the UI. As the contact poster's lower third is frosted behind the Phone.app UI, they sometimes don't contrast well. I don't like that form has been potentially chosen over function there.

The other issue that I have is that a small contact photo in the center portion of the screen below the caller's name, is a far smaller, less ostentatious, and far more professional look. I'd like the option to select if my phone blanket defaults to contact photos or contact posters.

A like that I would have is that I can set it like focus control. During a time frame in the day, contact photos. In a different part of the day, contact posters. I don't want to see contact posters full screen during a call while I'm working or in a professional environment. Someone might update their poster to something not business appropriate. There can be many things that can be casual appropriate but not business appropriate and I'd like to be able to switch that off and on.

Reactions: 814MB

814MB

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2023
PA
I would love to turn contact posters off - full stop. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro, and when I want to select a contact in the contacts app it is supper sluggish to open. Plus I’m in my 40’s, working a corporate job and I use my phone for both personal and business use. My contact list is not a fun, whimsical app I need to customize like I’m 14. Granted, everyone is different and some will love this option. I just want the option to turn that feature off (both for my info and for my contact list) and use it as a boring digital Rolodex.

iOS 17 is the first update that’s making me seriously look into making the jump to an Android device, such as the Pixels.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
I would love to turn contact posters off - full stop. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro, and when I want to select a contact in the contacts app it is supper sluggish to open. Plus I’m in my 40’s, working a corporate job and I use my phone for both personal and business use. My contact list is not a fun, whimsical app I need to customize like I’m 14. Granted, everyone is different and some will love this option. I just want the option to turn that feature off (both for my info and for my contact list) and use it as a boring digital Rolodex.

iOS 17 is the first update that’s making me seriously look into making the jump to an Android device, such as the Pixels.
I’m not loving iOS 17 either. Especially the fact that all custom tones and vibrations for notifications are gone now. I like neither their heartbeat vibration nor do I appreciate the same notification sound for every single app on iPhone. This makes it hard to know what’s seeking attention.

But you can set contacts to request permission for a user to update their photo and this will keep their contact poster turned off. You can also set a plain, non-full screen contact poster that is way toned down. It isn’t the same though. I’m with you. I’m not a youngin’ and I prefer professional and understated most of the time.

I wouldn’t mind a mode that allows it on a periodic basis, like the focus feature.

Reactions: 814MB

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I like having my contacts managed across devices and systems and having iOS specific setup with "Posters" doesnt work for me.

I find it odd that Contact Posters was not implemented in iOS a decade earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: iLuddite

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I really don't know what they were going for with this "feature". What did it solve? It just made the call UI ugly and now there's a storage bug where call posters take up way too much space

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
So, to clarify, there is no way to get rid of it? When I open a contact I see a poster or, more often, their initials in huge letters, but have to scroll down to see their phone number, email address etc i.e. look at the contact details

gmoney18

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Does anyone think Apple would ever revert back to the old dark transparent call screen? Or least give us the option vs the new phone call screen? It seems odd that you have to edit each phone number’s contact poster to change it, very time consuming. The new grey screen is ugly and looks like it was designed by a toddler. I know this is coming across as nitpicky but I believe there should be more overall call screen personalization vs individual personalizing.

Reactions: DomC

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
Sorry I just saw this. If you still need it. Open the contact card for the caller in question. Choose the contact photo and poster option and change the option from poster to custom photo. This will make contacts ask permission to update the picture.

You can then treat their poster like it is yours. Change it to monogram, customize and choose the pic you want. advance to the next screen and choose update. Tap the AA in the lower right and keep or delete the monogram and click update.

The caller will show as a great screen with name and small round photo at the top.

aliakio

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
Does anyone think Apple would ever revert back to the old dark transparent call screen? Or least give us the option vs the new phone call screen? It seems odd that you have to edit each phone number’s contact poster to change it, very time consuming. The new grey screen is ugly and looks like it was designed by a toddler. I know this is coming across as nitpicky but I believe there should be more overall call screen personalization vs individual personalizing.
iOS 17.4 is bringing back the old call screen!

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018

I’m 100% there with you. The fact that it’s on by default is wrong. What some people also think is an appropriate photo that they then turn into a poster, isn’t acceptable. Some people really aren’t all that they think they are. And everyone doesn’t want to see your summer swimsuit by the pool pic as a contact poster. It’s not great and it’s certainly not professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.