Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Studio Display enables the "Hey Siri" voice command on several older Macs that previously did not support the feature.

hey-siri-banner-apple.jpg

For example, while "Hey Siri" normally requires a MacBook Pro released in 2018 or later, the feature can be used on 2016 and 2017 models of the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro while connected to a Studio Display. Likewise, while "Hey Siri" normally requires an iMac released in 2020 or later, the feature can be used on 2017 through 2019 models of the 21.5-inch iMac and 27-inch iMac while connected to a Studio Display.

The Studio Display also enables "Hey Siri" on Mac desktops that previously did not support the feature when paired with a non-Apple-branded display, including the 2019 Mac Pro and 2018 and newer models of the Mac mini.

"Hey Siri" is one of several features powered by the Studio Display's built-in A13 Bionic chip, with others including Spatial Audio and the Center Stage camera feature that helps keep you centered within the frame during video calls.

The full list of Macs compatible with the Studio Display on macOS Monterey 12.3 or later:
  • Mac Studio
  • 14-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2021
  • 16-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2019 or later
  • 13-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
  • MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
  • iMac introduced in 2017 or later
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
  • Mac Pro introduced in 2019
Released last week, key features of the Studio Display include a 27-inch screen size, 5K resolution, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with Center Stage, a six-speaker sound system with Spatial Audio, one Thunderbolt 3 port, and three USB-C ports. Pricing starts at $1,599 in the United States for a model with standard glass and a tilt-adjustable stand, with upgrade options like nano-texture glass and a VESA mount adapter available.

Article Link: Studio Display Enables 'Hey Siri' on Several Older Macs

Slix

macrumors 65832
Mar 24, 2010
This is a nice feature to have on a Mac that didn’t have it before connecting to the Studio Display.

Anyone saying this is “creepy” doesn’t seem to understand how Hey Siri works or how this display can enable it.

embraceware

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
One interesting note on this... If you connect a new "closed" MacBook Pro to the Studio Display, it prevents "Hey Siri" from working 🤦‍♂️. Hopefully it gets fixed in an update to be smart enough to know that the Studio Display can handle it when connected with the lid closed.

FOT-jCFUYAQUC26.jpeg

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
One interesting note on this... If you connect a new "closed" MacBook Pro to the Studio Display, it prevents "Hey Siri" from working ?‍♂️. Hopefully it gets fixed in an update to be smart enough to know that the Studio Display can handle it when connected with the lid closed.

View attachment 1978159

This pop-up dialog only talks about setting up "Hey Siri" though, not about using it after it was set up.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Just in case the phone sitting next to it doesn’t catch enuf of what you’re sayin…
"Hey Siri" is actually smart enough to deal with this; when I say "Hey Siri", both my iPad and iPhone will hear it and light up. But only one will respond. It seems to prefer the phone most times, but sometimes the iPad will respond if the phone didn't quite hear me.

I think they coordinate over the network and have some kind of a vote to determine which device responds. I should sniff the network to see if it's all done locally or involves Apple's servers.

embraceware

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
This pop-up dialog only talks about setting up "Hey Siri" though, not about using it after it was set up.
The popup appears when I try to enable "Hey Siri" - which prevents it from being switched on. So a connected closed MacBook Pro to Studio Display = no "Hey Siri" functionality. When really the display should be able to do it and treat the closed MacBook as a Mac that doesn't have "Hey Siri" support.

Reactions: sos47

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One interesting note on this... If you connect a new "closed" MacBook Pro to the Studio Display, it prevents "Hey Siri" from working ?‍♂️. Hopefully it gets fixed in an update to be smart enough to know that the Studio Display can handle it when connected with the lid closed.

View attachment 1978159
I'm curious, how well do the new M1 Macbook Pros work in clamshell mode? I'm trying to decide between buying a Studio Display + Mac Studio, or a Studio Display + Macbook Pro. The latter would stay home "docked" most of the time, but it would be more flexible to be able to take the laptop with me sometimes.

But for this to be a suitable setup the Macbook Pro would have to be rock solid in clamshell mode. At least as reliable as an iMac.

Reactions: Sandstorm

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
"Hey Siri" is actually smart enough to deal with this; when I say "Hey Siri", both my iPad and iPhone will hear it and light up. But only one will respond. It seems to prefer the phone most times, but sometimes the iPad will respond if the phone didn't quite hear me.

I think they coordinate over the network and have some kind of a vote to determine which device responds. I should sniff the network to see if it's all done locally or involves Apple's servers.
The problem I have with that is if I want Siri to do something on device X (like setting a timer or alarm) it often does it on other nearby device Y, and there seem to be no provisions to tell Siri which device I want to perform the action on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandstorm

embraceware

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
I'm curious, how well do the new M1 Macbook Pros work in clamshell mode? I'm trying to decide between buying a Studio Display + Mac Studio, or a Studio Display + Macbook Pro. The latter would stay home "docked" most of the time, but it would be more flexible to be able to take the laptop with me sometimes.

But for this to be a suitable setup the Macbook Pro would have to be rock solid in clamshell mode. At least as reliable as an iMac.
I use my MacBook Pro Max in clamshell mode 100% of the time at home. I was doing this with the LG UltraFine 5K until I picked up the Studio Display. I use the BookArc by Twelve South. Having a single Mac that can be used at home and away is great. Especially now that the performance is comparable.

Check out the smarts in the battery charging menu which learns when a full charge is needed. It knows that I'm "Rarely on battery" ?

CleanShot 2022-03-21 at 16.45.22@2x.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.