Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtwdwrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I'm having difficulty finding where to change the sleep settings in Sonoma. I have a lan messenger app that I want to keep connected all of the time at work. I have my display set to shut off after a period of time to save battery but it seems when it shuts off it also shuts off the app. I'm thinking that the sleep mode is paired with the display shutting off but I can't find a place like I think there was in Ventura to keep the apps connected while the display goes off. Thanks.

Reactions: jagooch

mtwdwrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Battery -> "Options..." at the bottom
I have looked in there before now that I know where it is. It does have a toggle to keep the mac from sleeping on power adapter when display goes dark but not on battery. I do have the setting to keep the mac network access awake set to always but it doesn't seem to do the trick for this particular app.

Reactions: jagooch and owidhh

gc3182

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
I just did the hunt myself, which is how I found this thread.

I think what you're looking for is actually with the Lock Screen settings.
It's split into two setttings, neither of which contain the word "sleep":
"Turn display off on xxx when inactive", where xxx is either "battery" or "power adapter".

Personally, I find the Settings app to be a giant pain, both because I cannot put the top-level list in alphabetical order (which made finding things easy prior to Ventura), but also because in the event the search is helpful, I cannot even find how to get to the desired pane the next time _without_ search because the back button no longer represents the path back to the top.

ojobson

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
you could try opening system settings and search for 'sleep', see what your options are...

Whilst the setting does appear - it is listed under "Lock Screen" it is not intuitive that the sleep settings are in here.

I just did the hunt myself, which is how I found this thread.

I think what you're looking for is actually with the Lock Screen settings.
It's split into two setttings, neither of which contain the word "sleep":
"Turn display off on xxx when inactive", where xxx is either "battery" or "power adapter".

Personally, I find the Settings app to be a giant pain, both because I cannot put the top-level list in alphabetical order (which made finding things easy prior to Ventura), but also because in the event the search is helpful, I cannot even find how to get to the desired pane the next time _without_ search because the back button no longer represents the path back to the top.

Awesome - thanks. Took a while to find it.

BananaManAcaciaRoad

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
UK
I'm having a weird issue in Sonoma when [Energy Saver> Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off] is enabled. As soon as the display is set to sleep [Lock Screen> turn off display when inactive 5 minutes] the monitor cycles on and off like it's still receiving a signal every time it puts itself to sleep (LG display attached via displayport input via thunderbolt/USB).

I can disable the Prevent automatic sleeping, under energy saver to stop this, but this means puts the system to sleep which I don't want, as it interrupts other background processes and sleeps attached external drives.

Other than switching off the monitor power I don't know what to do. I really want the system not to sleep at all. Sounds like bug to me any ideas?

BananaManAcaciaRoad

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
UK
I'm having a weird issue in Sonoma when [Energy Saver> Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off] is enabled. As soon as the display is set to sleep [Lock Screen> turn off display when inactive 5 minutes] the monitor cycles on and off like it's still receiving a signal every time it puts itself to sleep (LG display attached via displayport input via thunderbolt/USB).

I can disable the Prevent automatic sleeping, under energy saver to stop this, but this means puts the system to sleep which I don't want, as it interrupts other background processes and sleeps attached external drives.

Other than switching off the monitor power I don't know what to do. I really want the system not to sleep at all. Sounds like bug to me any ideas?
After some playing I found my issue is linked to the display sleep (under Lock Screen). Even with the Prevent automatic sleeping option enabled in Energy Saver, the system will still sleep but only momentarily as soon as the display sleeps, causing any attached USB devices to power down including any drives, and human interfaces, then these flick back up. So the cycling of the monitor goes on and off 2 times in the process.

This could be potentially damaging to any external SSD drives and interrupt any system processes going on.

Solution:
I've now set the display sleep to never, and just allow the screensaver to kick in after a couple of minutes. I've also left the Prevent automatically sleeping on. I'm now turning off the monitor manually, and this seems to be fine the system does not go to sleep when the display is physically powered off - at least in the short time I tested.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 19.28.41.png

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
I want to piggyback on this thread instead of starting a new one - although that may be wise as this is slightly different

IIRC, with the old messages, Monterey and before I believe, there was a setting of how long after the display sleeps for the computer to go to sleep.
It could be display off in 2 minutes, but computer sleep 10 minutes after that.

This doesn't seem to exist in Ventura or Sonoma.

The only alternative now seems to be, screen saver for 2 minutes, then display off after 10 minutes, after which the computer will sleep on its own.

Anyone else noticed this or found a different approach?

thanks in advance!

Johnny McCash

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I believe "sudo pmset -a displaysleep 2 sleep 10" in Terminal will accomplish that.
This is the sort of answer that should've been the first. This cancerous settings app from whatever version it was introduced (upgrading from High Sierra to Sonoma here) forces us to have to use the underlying tools. "Yay, we've made everything easier now, now you aren't confused about an option to make your computer never sleep, now it just sleeps instead, isn't it great and so so easy?" Go F yourselves, Cupertino. This app is what you get when you have too many developers employed, and they're trying to stay relevant. Apple needs to fire developers, not hire more, and the software will improve. Disclosure: I'm a developer.

pmset is also where you go to get rid of hibernation if you're serious about your Mac actually being a server that shouldn't sleep. I.e., sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

Also, the command to turn off sleep completely:
sudo pmset -a sleep 0
(The -a for all profiles, which means it won't sleep even if your Mac is a laptop and it's on battery)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.