Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Not sure what's going on, but when I'm browsing sites like CNN and BBC with a VPN on, I get asked to sign in to keep reading. This behavior doesn't happen when I have the VPN off. What's going and can I block it with any apps?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Are you connecting to your own hosted VPN service or are you connecting to a commercial hosted VPN service?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What's going and can I block it with any apps?
Those sites probably track your IP address. So when you connect to the VPN and your IP address changes (because you are now connected to a different network), the sites most likely determine you are connecting on a different network and invalidate your session, hence, you have to login.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Those sites probably track your IP address. So when you connect to the VPN and your IP address changes (because you are now connected to a different network), the sites most likely determine you are connecting on a different network and invalidate your session, hence, you have to login.
But these sites, like CNN and BBC, don't require me to sign in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.