Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
New Apple Watch user. Deciding between Ultra 2 and Series 9 Stainless. Returning one.

I am aware there is an expected refresh in a few months.

Trying to sort out which to keep before likely upgrading and trading in for credit. Ordinarily would wait and not have an Ultra 2 or Series 9 before then but have found significant use for the device between now and then.

Some outdoors activities. Not a diver. Prefer S9's slightly slimmer case. Torn between aesthetics between it and the Ultra 2 though err towards more "dressy" (S9) than sporty (Ultra 2).

However, the significant battery life advantage on the Ultra 2 is a big pro.

Curious as to the experiences or insight of anyone who was in a similar position or had similar preliminary impressions.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
New Apple Watch user. Deciding between Ultra 2 and Series 9 Stainless. Returning one.

Trying to sort out which to keep before likely upgrading and trading in for credit. Ordinarily would wait and not have an Ultra 2 or Series 9 before then but have found significant use for the device between now and then.

Some outdoors activities. Not a diver. Prefer S9's slightly slimmer case. Torn between aesthetics between it and the Ultra 2 though err towards more "dressy" (S9) than sporty (Ultra 2).

Curious as to the experiences or insight of anyone who was in a similar position or had similar preliminary impressions.
I had S0/4/4/7/U1 and now U2.
For me:
. Bigger, flat screen is much easier to read
. The fact that it is rated for diving makes it a no brainer to go into the ocean, diving or not
. Battery life is great, but I was used to charge overnight anyways

There are plenty threads here on that pic, and lots of opinions on the “look” …

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I recently sold my AWU 2 after eight months and went back to my Series 7 Graphite. I prefer the look and feel of the stainless models. But I use a Garmin for running and cycling workouts, and HRV tracking during sleep, so the reduced battery life of the S7 isn’t an issue.

That being said, I seem to recall that the Apple trade in value for the AWU last year was more fair than that offered for the S8 models. Maybe look through some older threads to confirm.

If I had an immediate need but knew I’d want a newer model in the fall I’d opt for a used or refurbished watch now to reduce the depreciation hit I’d take when upgrading. I’d probably look for an AWU or Series 8 stainless in that case.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I considered the Ultra and decided to go for the 9. Great watch, especially in an aluminium case. I came from a series 5, so was a massive upgrade for me especially in terms of battery life.

I'd say for me with the Ultra was too big and cumbersome. I even went from a 45mm S5 to a 41mm S9 and I do not miss the screen space with the former.

Reactions: gotong

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I recently sold my AWU 2 after eight months and went back to my Series 7 Graphite. I prefer the look and feel of the stainless models. But I use a Garmin for running and cycling workouts, and HRV tracking during sleep, so the reduced battery life of the S7 isn’t an issue.

That being said, I seem to recall that the Apple trade in value for the AWU last year was more fair than that offered for the S8 models. Maybe look through some older threads to confirm.

If I had an immediate need but knew I’d want a newer model in the fall I’d opt for a used or refurbished watch now to reduce the depreciation hit I’d take when upgrading. I’d probably look for an AWU or Series 8 stainless in that case.
Sleeping with the AWU is the worst. I also switched back to an SS Series 7 that amazon sold renewed for under $200. The battery was like 96%. You can’t really beat that. I loved the screen size of the ultra though and battery life, but even at $400 used, that’s still double what the S7 is and Apple hasn't added much since that release.

Reactions: gotong and schrax

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Sleeping with the AWU is the worst. I also switched back to an SS Series 7 that amazon sold renewed for under $200. The battery was like 96%. You can’t really beat that. I loved the screen size of the ultra though and battery life, but even at $400 used, that’s still double what the S7 is and Apple hasn't added much since that release.
Having had both the AWU 2 and S7 Graphite side by side for 8 months, the difference in screen size wasn’t significant for me. But I definitely appreciated the action button and could always use more battery life.

I just started noticing that once the novelty wore off when I wasn’t running with my Garmin I usually grabbed the S7 to wear over the AWU. Towards the end I was only doing workouts with the AWU and using my S7 as my daily driver, so that’s when I decided to bail.

Reactions: rillrill

han42solo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
Seattle-ish

I bought an AWU2 as an upgrade from an SE2 (GPS) several months ago and returned it within 3 days for an S9 45mm SS. I’m SO glad I did.

In my opinion and for my use case, the only thing the Ultra had going for it was the battery. It felt too bulky on my wrist (and I don’t have little wrists or hands) and the “height” of it above my wrist interfered with a lot of my day-to-day activities, often bumping against walls and such. Additionally, the titanium “nub” that sticks out to protect the crown and the other button really prevented my wrist from flexing and moving, based on where I like to wear my watch. The Ultra display was great, I won’t lie…but the comfort issues were the deciding factor. I saw one commenter mention that sleeping with the Ultra was an issue and I have to agree…it was so bulky that it was distracting.

My S9 SS is one of my most favorite pieces of Apple tech I’ve ever owned...and I go way back. I love to hike, and I’m really enjoying the Health/Activity monitoring features, and how I can see the results on my iPad. I DO need to charge it daily…I usually do it when I get home from work so I can wear it to bed. Sometimes a quick charge in the morning. ALSO: do yourself a favor and spend the $3.99/month for Apple Care+ (I do NOT work for Apple.). Happy Trails!

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
The trade in value for these is abysmal - easily a $500+ bath for just 2 months of use. The Ultra will fare a bit better though.

If you *need* something now, just grab an aluminum on discount from Amazon so the trade in loss will be about $150 or so.

Last edited:

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I sold my Ultra and went back to a Series 8 because I much prefer that sleeker design for many reasons. But I’m an avid runner who does a lot of cellular streaming of music. Due to battery issues I went back to the Ultra 2 this year. I just can’t get around the better battery life.

Also, I have come to love the action button. I don’t want to give that up. However, I don’t think the lower left corner is the best place for it due to accidental triggers.

My best case scenario would be that Apple brought back 3D Touch and just made the entire face the “action button” for ALL watch models.

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I moved from a Series 8 to an Ultra 2, mostly for the diving abilities, and I love the look and feel of the Ultra 2. I don't see myself going back to a Series watch again. The Ultra 2 feels much more premium, and the battery life is a treat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.