Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikedis

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
The ceramic Edition Apple Watch died officially with the Series 5, possibly due to low sales, though more likely due to Jony Ive's departure. With Ive out of the picture, the chances of a new series Ceramic are very very low.

However, I was just looking back on that Series 10 49mm render that 91mobiles leaked, and I noticed something... odd...

Those leaks show this very large shelf between the body and the display. Go ahead, and check your watch, and you'll see the display flows pretty seamlessly into the body. Except on the ceramic models.

image0.jpg

On the ceramic models, the display doesn't sit flush, because the body is actually a little thicker in all dimensions. Ceramic is hard, but it's also brittle, so they have to be thicker to support an internal steel skeleton, and just hold up better to dings and drops. This thicker structure creates a pronounced lip under the display.

IMG_9376.jpg

I could be reaching, just something interesting I noticed in the cad render. I saw in one news post a while ago that a 10th anniversary edition watch was going to be it's own standalone thing. What if it's not, but instead just a special case material?

What're your guys' thoughts?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The ceramic Edition Apple Watch died officially with the Series 5, possibly due to low sales, though more likely due to Jony Ive's departure. With Ive out of the picture, the chances of a new series Ceramic are very very low.

However, I was just looking back on that Series 10 49mm render that 91mobiles leaked, and I noticed something... odd...

Those leaks show this very large shelf between the body and the display. Go ahead, and check your watch, and you'll see the display flows pretty seamlessly into the body. Except on the ceramic models.

image0.jpg

On the ceramic models, the display doesn't sit flush, because the body is actually a little thicker in all dimensions. Ceramic is hard, but it's also brittle, so they have to be thicker to support an internal steel skeleton, and just hold up better to dings and drops. This thicker structure creates a pronounced lip under the display.

IMG_9376.jpg

I could be reaching, just something interesting I noticed in the cad render. I saw in one news post a while ago that a 10th anniversary edition watch was going to be it's own standalone thing. What if it's not, but instead just a special case material?

What're your guys' thoughts?
good catch, but, watch rumors have not really been "good" rumors, or, they turned out to be false ...

So I take these "renders" with a huge grain of salt

mikedis

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
good catch, but, watch rumors have not really been "good" rumors, or, they turned out to be false ...

So I take these "renders" with a huge grain of salt
Yeah, 91mobles is super cryptic about it and the mic/speaker placement makes me think its just a S5 ceramic model they squished a bit, if it’s official at all.

But if real, I’d like a ceramic!

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It most certainly didn’t
you mean make money?
Wasn't the ceramic like $1k more than the equivalent Alu? I find it hard to believe that the casing would cost that much, and even if they only had 10% yield, seems to me that was a high margin product

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yeah, 91mobles is super cryptic about it and the mic/speaker placement makes me think its just a S5 ceramic model they squished a bit, if it’s official at all.

But if real, I’d like a ceramic!
I wholeheartedly agree on the ceramic option! I would find it hard to believe though that it would be released in the first year, maybe next year ...
But who knows

mikedis

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I would be so down for a Ceramic watch - forever kicking myself for not spending on a bright white S5!
It's pretty sad now how the S5 is still selling on eBay for $500+ when it's about to drop support for new WatchOS. I feel like those watches shouldn't be worth more than $300 at this point.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's a beautiful watch - an instant buy for me if they ever re-introduce it. It's also incredibly durable, which is a rare combination - e.g the Watch Ultra is durable, but nowhere near as elegant as the Ceramics.

Reactions: xpxp2002

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Ceramic isn't coming back for a variety of reasons, but last year Apple made a huge deal out of how environmental friendly Apple watch production is.

Making cases out of ceramic material is definitely not environmentally friendly.

And I say this as the owner of a S5 ceramic that I wore to work on Monday this week. It was replaced by Apple last fall when the battery life finally dropped below 80%, and aside from how rapidly a "new" S5 battery drains on the latest watchos and the fact it will no longer be supported in future watchos releases, I'll still wear it. And like others have said, if Apple somehow re-introduced Ceramic as an option in the coming years, I'd buy it instantly.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I like black and prefer the DLC finish. My S7 SBTi still looks like new and a battery at 100%. My Ultra 2 replaced it but I still wear occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.