Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I saw a couple of places where people referenced it in the "what's broken" thread, but I can't find if anyone found a solution, so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Any one find a solution? If I click on Screen Time in settings, it just crashes the settings app.

When I get a Screen Time request from one of my kids, it doesn't work right when I go to approve time. Which I click options (or choose it from the notifications) and choose a time, it just goes back to just showing "options" and most of the time the approval doesn't go through to my kid's devices (although sometimes it has? It's been weird).

Anyone else seeing this and found any work around or way to fix it? Maybe beta 2 will just fix it, but in case someone else has found a fix, I thought I'd ask.

Reactions: addamas

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
BTW, before anyone says it... yes, I'm aware it's a beta and prone to issues. That doesn't bother me.

Nor does this issue bother me that much... but I am curious if anyone has found a fix :)

Mapjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
I saw a couple of places where people referenced it in the "what's broken" thread, but I can't find if anyone found a solution, so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Any one find a solution? If I click on Screen Time in settings, it just crashes the settings app.

When I get a Screen Time request from one of my kids, it doesn't work right when I go to approve time. Which I click options (or choose it from the notifications) and choose a time, it just goes back to just showing "options" and most of the time the approval doesn't go through to my kid's devices (although sometimes it has? It's been weird).

Anyone else seeing this and found any work around or way to fix it? Maybe beta 2 will just fix it, but in case someone else has found a fix, I thought I'd ask.
Yes, same thing here, I don't even have notification from my kids anymore when they ask for more time. Doesn't work with my Mac on Sequoia either. Guess we'll have to wait the next wave of betas...

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
The new beta doesn't seem to fix it, sadly. Settings doesn't crash when I click on Screen Time, but instead it just freezes. Nothing happens. It's just been installed so we'll see if something changes once everything settles, but it appears to still be broken in Beta 2

• Sad

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Well, you can try the several fixes that worked in iOS 17, which might work in iOS 18.

But at least you can try:

1. Low Power Mode can interfere with iPhone Screen Time Limits.
2. If Share Across Devices is enabled, it may conflict in Screen Time because that sync your Screen Time settings with your other devices.
3. Reset App Limit preferences on your iPhone. Go to settings > Screen Time > App Limits.
4. Allow the app to access the Screen Time feature on your iPhone.

Lastly, you can also try the DownTime feature instead of Screen Time, as it is offered by Screen Time.

I have mentioned several fixes here. However, you can check out this post for other fixes where I got the reference: https://www.igeeksblog.com/iphone-screen-time-not-working/

Let me know if any of the solutions fix your problem.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Beta 3 has seemed to fix it; I can approve my kids requests once again, so that's good

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Well, you can try the several fixes that worked in iOS 17, which might work in iOS 18.

But at least you can try:

1. Low Power Mode can interfere with iPhone Screen Time Limits.
2. If Share Across Devices is enabled, it may conflict in Screen Time because that sync your Screen Time settings with your other devices.
3. Reset App Limit preferences on your iPhone. Go to settings > Screen Time > App Limits.
4. Allow the app to access the Screen Time feature on your iPhone.

Lastly, you can also try the DownTime feature instead of Screen Time, as it is offered by Screen Time.

I have mentioned several fixes here. However, you can check out this post for other fixes where I got the reference: https://www.igeeksblog.com/iphone-screen-time-not-working/

Let me know if any of the solutions fix your problem.
Sorry, missed this response until now. I think this more would've fixed if I had screen time issues for my own device; the problem was it was more not working on approving it for the kids (or even accessing their settings from my phone). Thankfully, Beta 3 seems to have mostly fixed the problems there.

Wizpod96

macrumors member
May 4, 2017
It’s still not working for me with the public beta, the settings menu still freezes most of the time and screen time requests don’t come through.
Still having the issue myself I set limits for social media apps for myself basically after 9pm I can’t use my phone haha.

• Wow
Reactions: Dan555
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.