Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After briefly going up for pre-order on Amazon last week, Samsung's new ViewFinity S9 5K Display is now officially available to order from Samsung and Amazon in the United States.

samsung-viewfinity-s9.jpg

The Samsung ViewFinity S9 is one of the few 27-inch 5K displays on the market, going head-to-head with the Apple Studio Display in offering ideal pixel density for full Retina quality.

The ViewFinity S9 is priced at $1,599.99, essentially the same as the ‌Apple Studio Display‌, although Samsung includes a tilt- and height-adjustable stand while Apple charges $400 for that upgrade. The ViewFinity S9 can also be pivoted to a portrait orientation using the included stand.

samsung-viewfinity-s9-4.jpg

The ViewFinity S9 features a Thunderbolt 4 port, three USB-C ports, and a Mini DisplayPort, and it includes 90 watts of power for machines connected through the Thunderbolt 4 port. A removable 4K SlimFit webcam supports tilt adjustments, as well as Auto Framing of subjects in the shot, similar to Apple's Center Stage feature. Built-in speakers with an Adaptive Sound+ option to automatically adjust noise levels are also included.

Built-in Smart TV apps and a remote control allow the display to function as a TV without being connected to a computer, with support for popular streaming apps and the Samsung Gaming Hub for playing cloud-based games from Xbox, NVIDIA, and more.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung and Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Samsung's ViewFinity S9 5K Display Launches in the U.S.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don't understand how the market continues to sell so many 27" monitors. I upgraded to 32" a few years ago, and I will never look back. The ACD 30" was the big thing in 2011, and let's face it, 4K and 5K really shines at 30"+
I went from 32” to 27” because I needed the display to be closer. Different preferences.

Wishing for a 27” 4K+ OLED.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I don’t see why any Mac user would buy this over the excellent Apple Studio Display.

My ASD has been superb, but for some reason it attracts a lot of negative comments in this forum. It works perfectly with my Mac, it integrates beautifully with MacOS, it sounds good, it’s more HDR than some HDR displays I’ve tested, it’s 600 nits, and its webcam is adequate for work meetings. Oh and it’s perfectly color calibrated to my MacBook right out of the box. Yet, people who don’t have one tells me it sucks!!

My only reservation with it was that it was expensive, however, the release of Samsungs display, seems to show that quality 5K displays are not cheap to make or sell.

And, please no more complaints that it’s only 60hz not 120hz or 144hz. Existing cables cannot carry 120hz at 5K. The tech doesn’t exist!!

Corrected statement. The current tech on MacBooks can't even drive 5K at higher than 60hz. (I only have TB4 and HDMI 2.0 on my current MacBook Pro (14" 2021 M1 Pro). At the time the ASD came out, I don't think there were many Macs that could use a 5K panel beyond 60hz.

EDIT

Since the thread has gotten so long, and I keep getting quoted on this, I see that no-one sees the later post where I corrected what I meant to say! I have lined through my original poorly worded statement. And have restated what I meant to say in italics. It's not that the tech doesn't exist, it's that it doesn't exist on MacBooks.

Last edited:

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Better stand that allows height change and rotation and more connectivity by the look of it for the same price.

I still think it’s too expensive.

Every monitor stand I’ve ever had has been plastic and been absolutely fine.
I think that’s why you don’t know the difference. For Apple users “fine” is usually not enough.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Why would anyone pay the same price for a plastic build monitor, am I missing something?
Street price will likely go down significantly, different from Apple. It is matte, which means you don’t have to pay the nano-texture premium if you don’t like glossy. It supports HDR which the ASD doesn’t. It supports AirPlay which the ASD doesn’t. And you can switch between stand and VESA mount out-of-the-box.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Why would anyone pay the same price for a plastic build monitor, am I missing something?

This product is DOA. For the price I'd take Apple's any day.

My guess is this monitor will see regular discounts in the 1299 range. If they hit 999 in the next year or two I might need to have 2 that will replace my Dell 27" 1440s.

Last edited:

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Totally agree. Got mine refurbed, $250 less than MSRP, part of which went toward the VESA mount. Still a bargain.

Also, pro-tip: turn off Centerstage and the web-cam gets a lot better. I think the wide-angle camera gathers too much light to keep the centerstaged image sharp at 5K. With Centerstage off it's still a bit washed out, but sharper.

danny1305

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2018
I don't understand how the market continues to sell so many 27" monitors. I upgraded to 32" a few years ago, and I will never look back. The ACD 30" was the big thing in 2011, and let's face it, 4K and 5K really shines at 30"+
“I like 30” better than 27”, so everybody else should too” Lol…different use cases, different spaces, etc. Everyone isn’t using the exact setup you are

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.