Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's embrace of titanium for its latest iPhone 15 Pro chassis appears to have impressed Samsung enough that the Korean rival plans to adopt the material for the next version of its flagship smartphone.

1technizo-concept-ultra-s24.jpeg
Samsung S24 Ultra concept render by Technizo Concept

The Galaxy S24 Ultra will be the first Samsung phone to use titanium and the company intends to expand the application depending on users' reception, according to The Elec.

For the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, Apple is using a new titanium frame rather than a stainless steel frame, which cuts down on weight. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are approximately nine percent lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

The iPhone 15 Pro weighs 187 grams, down from 206 grams for the iPhone 14 Pro, while the iPhone 15 Pro Max weighs 221 grams, down from 240 grams for the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

According to the report, Samsung's adoption of titanium for the S24 Ultra is unlikely to lead to an equivalent weight reduction compared to the S23 Ultra, since Samsung currently uses light aluminum in its flagship devices, whereas Apple previously used heavier but more durable stainless steel.

According to The Elec's sources, Samsung has been mulling using titanium cases for around two years, although the decision to go ahead with its commercializtion only came recently – but not without cost. Titanium is widely used in the aerospace sector. However, it is more difficult to handle in cutting and processing, and its low heat conductivity makes it harder to cut cleanly.

Samsung is therefore bracing itself for lower yield rates, which will push up the price of the frames. The aluminum cases in the company's premium phones currently cost less than $20, while titanium versions could cost up to $100, according to the report. Samsung is said to have "tentatively" set a goal to make 15 million frame units – the same number of Galaxy S23 Ultra models it shipped this year.

Article Link: Samsung to Follow iPhone 15 Pro and Use Titanium for Galaxy S24 Ultra

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
its low heat conductivity makes it harder to cut cleanly.
a) Does ability to cleanly cut go directly in relation to thermal conductivity (at least for metals)? Are lead, tungsten and cast iron easier to cut cleanly? (I suspect a lot depends on definition of "cleanly" and "easier".)

b) Does titanium have to be cut to be usable? Is 3D printing not an option?

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I absolutely HATE that sharp corners design of their Ultra. It’s just a block. The Non-Ultra looks much better. It reminds me of those Sony phones no one cares about. Are those still being made?

Might consider a Fold though, if they ever decide to make the outer screen finally wider

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
The difference here though is that Apple strips things out of the lower priced models to make the top device look better whereas Samsung cram more into it to treat their top-spending customers.

Take away the 5x zoom and VRR for a second and what else does the Max offer the average consumer (not a pro videographer) that they cannot buy on the cheaper iPhones?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Good old Samesung. ;)

They really can’t resist can they!
What are they stealing from Apple these days? The last thing they followed Apple on was not including a charging block. Samsung hardware is quite unique from Apple’s and there are many impressive things they’ve done with their hardware and software totally unique from Apple. I would argue in many cases objectively better. The zoom, multitasking, the included pen.
Exynos = no deal
The new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 appears to be beyond the A17 Pro in many new benchmarks. I absolutely love my 15 Pro Max, but other than some software stuff that separates iOS from Android, there’s not anything anymore superior about an iPhone hardware or software wise from the latest Android flagships. Doesn’t mean I want an Android but Apple has no edge on Android any more.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
The aluminum cases in the company's premium phones currently cost less than $20, while titanium versions could cost up to $100, according to the report.
Does this mean an incredibly expensive phone will become even more expensive, and for minimal improvements in weight? Seems like an interesting business plan. :p

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪

The Galaxy S24 Ultra will be the first Samsung phone to use titanium and the company intends to expand the application depending on users' reception, according to The Elec.
As if users are going to say, “hey, look, we don’t want titanium”. Failure, or otherwise, of Galaxy S24 Ultra will depend on other factors other than titanium. Although knowing Android fanboys, I think they’d be drooling over having titanium too 😄

Reactions: iBluetooth

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I'm happy with my Galaxy S10+ but I wish Samsung would bring back the S21 Ultra form factor to the 2024/2025 release...

Reactions: jamezr

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
The new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 appears to be beyond the A17 Pro in many new benchmarks. I absolutely love my 15 Pro Max, but other than some software stuff that separates iOS from Android, there’s not anything anymore superior about an iPhone hardware or software wise from the latest Android flagships. Doesn’t mean I want an Android but Apple has no edge on Android any more.
Meh, Qualcomm usually tackles benchmarks before release. E.g. for Snapdragon X Elite they showed two models, 23W and 80W, but it's THERMAL profile wattage, not peak consumed power.

So i will not be surprised if their geekbench scores for Gen3 were taken on liquid cooled chip or something.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple's embrace of titanium for its latest iPhone 15 Pro chassis appears to have impressed Samsung enough that the Korean rival plans to adopt the material for the next version of its flagship smartphone.

1technizo-concept-ultra-s24.jpeg

Samsung S24 Ultra concept render by Technizo Concept

For the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, Apple is using a new titanium frame rather than a stainless steel frame, which cuts down on weight. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are approximately nine percent lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

The iPhone 15 Pro weighs 187 grams, down from 206 grams for the iPhone 14 Pro, while the iPhone 15 Pro Max weighs 221 grams, down from 240 grams for the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

According to the report, Samsung's adoption of titanium for the S24 Ultra is unlikely to lead to an equivalent weight reduction compared to the S23 Ultra, since Samsung currently uses light aluminum in its flagship devices, whereas Apple previously used heavier but more durable stainless steel.

According to The Elec's sources, Samsung has been mulling using titanium cases for around two years, although the decision to go ahead with its commercializtion only came recently – but not without cost. Titanium is widely used in the aerospace sector. However, it is more difficult to handle in cutting and processing, and its low heat conductivity makes it harder to cut cleanly.

Samsung is therefore bracing itself for lower yield rates, which will push up the price of the frames. The aluminum cases in the company's premium phones currently cost less than $20, while titanium versions could cost up to $100, according to the report. Samsung is said to have "tentatively" set a goal to make 15 million frame units – the same number of Galaxy S23 Ultra models it shipped this year.

Article Link: Samsung to Follow iPhone 15 Pro and Use Titanium for Galaxy S24 Ultra
They always copy iPhone 🤣
After all, when Apple does something, they do it right and the sheep follow.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I have an S22 Ultra, and based on that image I won't be upgrading next year. It's ugly...

... and possibly with worse thermals because of the titanium...

• Disagree
Reactions: FILIPSN007

lenningj

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2023
Looking forward to see the price for this compared to the titanium 15 pro max. Will samsung charge $100+ for this change in material from the s23 ultra

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
What are they stealing from Apple these days? The last thing they followed Apple on was not including a charging block. Samsung hardware is quite unique from Apple’s and there are many impressive things they’ve done with their hardware and software totally unique from Apple. I would argue in many cases objectively better. The zoom, multitasking, the included pen.

Apple Eco System, Face ID, iMessage, Face Time, App optimisation, longevity & price retention and Apple Pay works every time 🤣....just a few big differentiators!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.