Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Samsung Galaxy S22 range of smartphones depreciated almost three times more than the iPhone 13 lineup in the first two months after launch, according to research by SellCell.

samsung-galaxy-s22.jpeg

Samsung announced the Galaxy S22 range in February this year, almost five months after the launch of Apple's iPhone 13 lineup. Just two months after launch, the S22 lineup as a whole lost 46.8 percent of its value. The Google Pixel 6 did not fare much better, losing 41.5 percent of its value two months after launch. In both cases, this is a considerable depreciation compared to the iPhone 13 models, which lost just 16.8 percent of their value two months after launch. The Galaxy S22 is also the only smartphone lineup to continually lose value, experiencing no value recovery after launch, unlike the iPhone and the Pixel.

The 128GB Samsung Galaxy S22+ 5G was the poorest performing model in terms of value retention, losing 53.8 percent of its value by month two, and the 128GB Pixel 6 Pro lost 44.2 percent of its value. On the other hand, the worst performing iPhone model was the 128GB iPhone 13 mini, which lost 29.2 percent of its value by month two.

The best performing Samsung model was the 128GB Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, with a loss of 41.7 percent two months after launch, and this was again beaten by the 128GB Pixel 6 with a loss of 33.1 percent. The best performing iPhone model, the 128GB iPhone 13 Pro Max, lost a diminutive 3.8 percent of its value in that timeframe.

SellCell's findings demonstrate that Android handsets still have some way to go in terms of long-term value retention compared to the iPhone, with similar studies published on an annual basis. See the full report for more detailed information.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S22 Models Depreciated Three Times More Than iPhone 13 Lineup Two Months After Launch

Industrial Tycoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
I think this is probably quite likely for all high end Android Smartphones, while Samsung are now extending their support to 3 years, that's not how Android has typically been over the past decade or so, I'd expect Samsung's pricing to get more stable with time, but given that Apple competes only with itself, it's never going to be a comparison that can be made without caveats - Samsung are top of the Android tree, but there are going to be other devices of similar or even better spec along within months of a phone setting new benchmarks.

Samsung's retail pricing is somewhat obfuscated by crazy trade in deals for existing customers with Samsung handsets, bundled headphones or increased storage for early adopters. I would rather suspect that the price these handsets rest at after a few months (once the deals have got worse/disappeared) would be pretty much the real price. The S22 was also quite poorly received, regarded as a fairly underwhelming upgrade to the previous model so it doesn't surprise me that there hasn't been much long lasting excitement.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
If you make a conscious decision to buy a Samsung or iPhone Mini, you are obviously not gonna get rid of it two months after purchase. I knew my iPhone X was obviously gonna lose value over time even at its extraordinary pricing in 2017.

At the end of the day, it’s what you are getting out of the device. If it does the job, then you shouldn’t have to worry about it’s value.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Like many things, how much of an impact depreciation is can depend on when you buy. A Samsung S22 256GB phone can currently be had new for $599.99 through Samsung (unlocked) or $250 less than MSRP. $250 (or about 30% of the depreciation from MSRP) is from the discount and therefore wouldn't be part of the purchase price value loss to the buyer.

An iPhone 13 256GB is still selling at its original price through Apple which means 100% of the depreciation is purchase price value loss to the buyer.

Most people don't sell their phones within one or two months anyway so these specific SellCell numbers are kind of meaningless.

Last edited:

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Most don't do that and why should you, most want the camera updates.
as well as modem updates, processor etc
Unless the person is a huge photo snob I doubt most people can really see much if any of a difference in a iPhone X, Pixel 2, iPhone 13 and S22 when looking through their Instagram, Facebook or Twitter apps. Let alone if they are on 4G or 5G.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The best performing Samsung model was the 128GB Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, with a loss of 41.7 percent two months after launch...

Where are they getting their prices and how are they calculating depreciation?

I see AT&T has the 128GB Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G priced at $1,199.99 and in recent sales for it on Swappa it sold for an averaged of about $900. That's only a 25 percent loss.

(Yes, I'm aware that as a percentage it depreciated more than an 128GB or 256GB iPhone 13 Pro Max)

If you calculate based on what the phone actually sells for/what the buyer pays for it, the depreciation on the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G would be less since carriers offer better deals on them vs iPhones to help move units.

Last edited:

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Unless the person is a huge photo snob I doubt most people can really see much if any of a difference in a iPhone X, Pixel 2, iPhone 13 and S22 when looking through their Instagram, Facebook or Twitter apps. Let alone if they are on 4G or 5G.
maybe not, depends on the person but each iPhone has had upgrades in functionality for its camera.
as well as the other upgrades. I got rid of cable so now I use my iPhone 12 max for internet
at my home, with the 5g, which my 11 pro didn't have. So I guess it depends what
you are looking for when you upgrade. I think 4 years is a little to long to wait,
but that's just me.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
Same with Samsung TVs. Wait 1 year until the successor is released and the model you want is already -50%.

Nevertheless, they are garbage. Mine is slowly bending in half.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Doesn’t really matter how fast a phone depreciates if you keep it 4 years like you should. They’re all worth virtually nothing after 4 years.

Or you sell it after 1 year and get most of your money back and get the new one - let some other poor fool deal with the same phone for 4 years and lose all his money.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
well yeah, 40 androids come out a year at least.

for iPhone its 4.
The iPhone conserves more its value because it received the latest updates as soon as they are released for the latest flagship. My 5 years old iPhone runs the same iOS as iPhone 13 Pro.

Reactions: SFjohn

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I think this is probably quite likely for all high end Android Smartphones, while Samsung are now extending their support to 3 years, that's not how Android has typically been over the past decade or so, I'd expect Samsung's pricing to get more stable with time, but given that Apple competes only with itself, it's never going to be a comparison that can be made without caveats - Samsung are top of the Android tree, but there are going to be other devices of similar or even better spec along within months of a phone setting new benchmarks.

Samsung's retail pricing is somewhat obfuscated by crazy trade in deals for existing customers with Samsung handsets, bundled headphones or increased storage for early adopters. I would rather suspect that the price these handsets rest at after a few months (once the deals have got worse/disappeared) would be pretty much the real price. The S22 was also quite poorly received, regarded as a fairly underwhelming upgrade to the previous model so it doesn't surprise me that there hasn't been much long lasting excitement.
Apple stopped completing only with itself with the iPhone 5, its a tunkt that they don’t care about competition.
Samsung makes more money with other products so they care rather little about the resale value of their phones.
Also,
Apple wants to be recognised as a premium brand and basically make money that way.
Samsung wants to chime in but is ultimately happy to have their phones in as many peoples hands as possible.
Also there’s still the Androids won’t last stigma, which is actually also still partially true, so, yeah.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
And why do customers care that much? How long do you plan on owning a mobile device like a phone that is slowly dying anyways ? Get over it already . My XS is only worth 100 bucks and never used it still in the box. oh boohoo.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
This is great news if, like me you buy a lot of second hand phones! The Galaxy linep has been brilliant since the S8 which was a heck of a phone.

In my experience of buying a LOT of them 2nd hand iPhones past 2 years of usage are barely worth it because the battery health will be crap. My last phone was an iPhone XR on about 80% and that just about got through a day but I didn't use it for much.

Up until the last year or 2 Android phones had much higher MAH specs and so any battery degradation was neligable. I have a spare P20 Pro with a cracked screen I use as a camera (because the camera is still that good) and I can use it all day for hours at a time for that and Fortnite and the battery is still really good.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
If you make a conscious decision to buy a Samsung or iPhone Mini, you are obviously not gonna get rid of it two months after purchase. I knew my iPhone X was obviously gonna lose value over time even at its extraordinary pricing in 2017.

At the end of the day, it’s what you are getting out of the device. If it does the job, then you shouldn’t have to worry about it’s value.
what this tells you is wait if you want a Samsung. why pay high value if you can get it for a lot less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.