Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Umm… good question. But RCS is based off SMS protocol and the iPad does not support native SMS text (in the Messaging app), will there be a toggle for RCS support? Highly doubt it.

However, iPad has text forwarding.. so I wonder how RCS text would work.

Reactions: Wizec

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Umm… good question. But RCS is based off SMS protocol and the iPad does not support native SMS text (in the Messaging app), will there be a toggle for RCS support? Highly doubt it.

However, iPad has text forwarding.. so I wonder how RCS text would work.

I expect RCS will be forwarded to iPad similar to SMS/MMS. I’ll try installing the beta on my spare SE3 and see if forwards RCS messages to my Air 5.

Does Google Voice support RCS? Most of my contacts are on iPhone and I forgot my Android phone at the office.

Reactions: Wizec

Quasium

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2024
Is RCS going to be supported on iPadOS 18 as well?
iPad does not support SMS messaging protocol and RCS is based off of SMS. Basically any kind of Cellular specific Communication (one that cannot be done on Wi-Fi) will not work on the iPads.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
iPad does not support SMS messaging protocol and RCS is based off of SMS. Basically any kind of Cellular specific Communication (one that cannot be done on Wi-Fi) will not work on the iPads.
I can send SMS text from my WiFi iPad due to the text forwarding feature on the iPhone.

Reactions: Mariogolf

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
RCS is working for me from my iPad.

Good to know.

I installed the beta on my backup phone. Unfortunately, Tello doesn’t support RCS on iPhone for now. I’m curious if there are any prepaid MVNOs that support RCS on iOS 18 Beta.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
RCS shows for me and it uses WiFi. SMS has nothing to do with it, it’s an sms replacement.

I guess the question is:
- can the iPad send an RCS message directly (like with iMessage)
- or is it using the iPhone as a relay (same say you can type and send an SMS in the Messages App on your iPad, but the SMS is actually sent by the iPhone associated to the same iCloud account).

The way to verify this would be to try to send an RCS message when the iPhone is turned-off. If it works is means the iPad is using RCS directly, and if it doesn't work it means the iPad is relying on the iPhone as a relay to send RCS messages.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I guess the question is:
- can the iPad send an RCS message directly (like with iMessage)
- or is it using the iPhone as a relay (same say you can type and send an SMS in the Messages App on your iPad, but the SMS is actually sent by the iPhone associated to the same iCloud account).

The way to verify this would be to try to send an RCS message when the iPhone is turned-off. If it works is means the iPad is using RCS directly, and if it doesn't work it means the iPad is relying on the iPhone as a relay to send RCS messages.

I think it’s safe to assume RCS uses the iPhone as relay same as SMS/MMS.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
I expect RCS will be forwarded to iPad similar to SMS/MMS. I’ll try installing the beta on my spare SE3 and see if forwards RCS messages to my Air 5.

Does Google Voice support RCS? Most of my contacts are on iPhone and I forgot my Android phone at the office.

Google voice doesn't have RCS support.

Reactions: rui no onna

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Google voice doesn't have RCS support.
For a company which has bragged Apple for years to adopt RCS it’s funny how this part of Google doesn’t have it lol

On the other hand it’s interesting that iPads can support RCS

The 7th Gen iPad with its A10 can support RCS but the iPhone X can’t

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For a company which has bragged Apple for years to adopt RCS it’s funny how this part of Google doesn’t have it lol

On the other hand it’s interesting that iPads can support RCS

The 7th Gen iPad with its A10 can support RCS but the iPhone X can’t

It’s not the like iPad itself supports RCS. The actual RCS part is handled by iPhone Xr or newer. The messages just get forwarded to iPad.

I have Tello (T-Mobile MVNO) on my backup phone and they haven’t enabled RCS for iOS 18 yet so neither my iPhone nor iPad has RCS.

Reactions: Homme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.