Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Google updated its Authenticator app to enable the backup and syncing of 2FA codes across devices using a Google Account. Now an examination by Mysk security researchers has found that the sensitive one-time passcodes being synced to the cloud aren't end-to-end encrypted, leaving them potentially exposed to bad actors.

google-authenticator.jpg

Prior to the integration of Google Account support, all codes in the Google Authenticator app were stored on device, which meant that if the device was lost, so too were the one-time passcodes, potentially causing loss of account access as well. But it seems that by enabling cloud-based syncing, Google has opened up users to a security risk of a different sort.

"We analyzed the network traffic when the app syncs the secrets, and it turns out the traffic is not end-to-end encrypted," said Mysk via Twitter. "This means that Google can see the secrets, likely even while they're stored on their servers. There is no option to add a passphrase to protect the secrets, to make them accessible only by the user."

"Secrets" is a term used to refer to private pieces of information that act as keys to unlock protected resources or sensitive information; in this case, one-time passcodes.

Mysk said that its tests found the unencrypted traffic contains a "seed" that's used to generate the 2FA codes. According to the researchers, anyone with access to that seed can generate their own codes for the same accounts and break in to them.

"If Google servers were compromised, secrets would leak," Mysk told Gizmodo. Since the QR codes involved with setting up two-factor authentication contain the name of the account or service, the attacker can also identify the accounts. "This is particularly risky if you're an activist and run other Twitter accounts anonymously," added the researchers.

Mysk subsequently advised users not to enable the Google account feature that syncs 2FA codes across devices and the cloud.

Responding to the warning, a Google spokesperson told CNET it had added the sync feature early for convenience's sake, but that end-to-end encryption is still on its way:
End-to-End Encryption (E2EE) is a powerful feature that provides extra protections, but at the cost of enabling users to get locked out of their own data without recovery. To ensure that we're offering a full set of options for users, we have also begun rolling out optional E2EE in some of our products, and we plan to offer E2EE for Google Authenticator in the future."
Until that happens, there are alternative services for syncing authentication codes across devices, such as Apple's own 2FA code generator and third-party apps like Authy.

Article Link: PSA: Google Authenticator's Cloud-Synced 2FA Codes Aren't End-to-End Encrypted

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Shocking! /s

This, along with the privacy scorecard, makes this a hard pass.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 3.55.03 PM.png

Keep in mind, this is an authenticator app, what could it possibly need all that identifiable data for besides wholesale collection? This is basically spyware!

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Way top destroy the reputation of this service by launching early. End-to-end encryption for 2FA Codes is a must and should be ready on day one. This not only demonstrates that the service itself might be vulnerable but also that Google is not serious about security and encryption and only implementing it as kind of an afterthought.

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I'm going to urge people away from the closed source Authy and towards 2FAS, Aegis Authenticator, or Raivo OTP.

Authy doesn't even offer a way to export, though I hear there's a hack for that. That alone should make people nervous.
I’m happy with OTP Auth as well.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I’d rather just not use 2FA. Google authenticator is nothing but troubke

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Question for the thread to an Android user:

I get that Android allows for more tweaking and potentially (subjectively) a more fun experience. ,All operating systems have to be assumed to be insecure, but Android (by Google/Alphabet) is openly promising to be a direct link to into private, saleable data. Why do people ignore the massive chasm of security between Android and Apple?

Reactions: philosoraptor1

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
I use LastPass Authenticator (for work) and Dashlane Authenticator (personal). I'm curious if both of them are any better than Google Authenticator.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
I'm going to urge people away from the closed source Authy and towards 2FAS, Aegis Authenticator, or Raivo OTP.

Authy doesn't even offer a way to export, though I hear there's a hack for that. That alone should make people nervous.
2FAS looks interesting because it also has a browser extension. Unfortunate that Authy does not have an export, since importing into 2FAS would be nice.

Reactions: MaxBurn

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Shocking! /s

This, along with the privacy scorecard, makes this a hard pass.

View attachment 2194342

Keep in mind, this is an authenticator app, what could it possibly need all that identifiable data for besides wholesale collection? This is basically spyware!

Wait until you see how much data is linked to you from this "wholesale collection" app :p

music.png

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Way top destroy the reputation of this service by launching early. End-to-end encryption for 2FA Codes is a must and should be ready on day one. This not only demonstrates that the service itself might be vulnerable but also that Google is not serious about security and encryption and only implementing it as kind of an afterthought.
I work with Google's cloud at work (AWS and Azure, too). Google's cloud has waaaay too many insecure defaults for me. Their security layer (IAM / identity and access management) is a toy compared to other cloud providers. Personally, hard pass on anything from Google. They just aren't serious about security.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Wait until you see how much data is linked to you from this "wholesale collection" app :p

View attachment 2194366

Yup, well aware and not happy about that either.

Boils down to who you trust more with your data. I'll take Apple vs the likes of Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft.

The main point is Google seems to be collecting data well outside what is needed for an authenticator.

Last edited:

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018

View attachment 2194366
how do you expect the artist to be paid if they dont now what you played?
its a music service, that data is necessary for any of that to work

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
I work with Google's cloud at work (AWS and Azure, too). Google's cloud has waaaay too many insecure defaults for me. Their security layer (IAM / identity and access management) is a toy compared to other cloud providers. Personally, hard pass on anything from Google. They just aren't serious about security.

Apple is now Google's largest corporate customer for cloud storage​

Jun 29, 2021
Apple has dramatically increased the amount of data that it stores on Google's cloud services, suggesting that its storage needs have grown faster than it can handle with its own servers.

Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...-largest-corporate-customer-for-cloud-storage

qnssekr

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Will I be locked out of a government website that I set up with google 2fA if I deactivate my google 2FA app? I forgot which gov site I used and assumed it’s important. I tried searching my privacy settings to see what site this maybe but can find any info. Please help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.