Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple began accepting orders for the Pro Display XDR on December 10, 2019, making the high-end monitor four years old as of today. The monitor has not been updated since, but there have been rumors about a new model being in the works.

Pro-Display-XDR-Yella.jpg

Below, we recap all of the rumors about a potential next-generation Pro Display XDR so far.

New Pro Display XDR

In December 2022, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple was working on multiple new monitors, including an updated Pro Display XDR equipped with an Apple silicon chip. Apple's lower-priced Studio Display has an A13 Bionic chip that enables features like Center Stage, spatial audio, and "Siri"/"Hey Siri" voice commands.

In July 2023, Gurman reiterated that Apple was still working on multiple next-generation monitors for release in 2024 at the very earliest. He said at least one of these monitors could double as a smart home display in a low-power state.

While no other features have been rumored yet for the next Pro Display XDR, some additions that customers are hoping for include a webcam, speakers, and a higher refresh rate. The current model features a 32-inch screen with LED backlighting, a 6K resolution, a 60Hz refresh rate, one Thunderbolt 3 port, and three USB-C ports.

The current Pro Display XDR starts at $4,999 in the U.S., but the Pro Stand costs $999 extra.

Larger iMac

While it would be a different product, the rumored 32-inch iMac would have some similarities to the Pro Display XDR, including the same display size.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

In October 2023, both Gurman and Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple was developing a 32-inch iMac for release in late 2024 or in 2025. Kuo said the larger iMac's screen would feature mini-LED backlighting.

The following month, Apple confirmed that it has no plans to release a 27-inch iMac with an Apple silicon chip. Apple discontinued the Intel-based 27-inch iMac in March 2022. For customers who want a large-screened desktop setup, Apple has recommended pairing the 27-inch Studio Display with a Mac Studio or Mac mini. Apple did not explicitly rule out the possibility of a 32-inch iMac being released in the future.

In the meantime, the 24-inch iMac was recently updated with the M3 chip.

Article Link: Pro Display XDR Turns Four Years Old: When to Expect a New Model

Reactions: bbdani

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I hope one is launched soon so that the used prices of the current XDR displays will drastically drop. I'd love to have a second one on my desk.

It's the best Apple product I've ever purchased and is a joy to use every day.

iSandrotto

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023
If they plan to introduce 120Hz displays, it will require Thunderbolt 5 speeds which the current M3 generation does not support. Therefore, we'll either have to wait for M4 (early 2025?) or the next gen XDR display will still be a 60Hz and feature other advanced specs to make it a worthwhile upgrade.
While the article is a nice summary of the most up to date rumors, nothing new has been added to what is already known. I hope that the likes of Mark Gurman and Ross Young will chime in soon with some new bits of info on this topic as I am eagerly awaiting the next gen displays from Apple to go along with the M3/M4 Studio....

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
If they plan to introduce 120Hz displays, it will require Thunderbolt 5 speeds which the current M3 generation does not support. Therefore, we'll either have to wait for M4 (early 2025?) or the next gen XDR display will still be a 60Hz and feature other advanced specs to make it a worthwhile upgrade.
While the article is a nice summary of the most up to date rumors, nothing new has been added to what is already known. I hope that the likes of Mark Gurman and Ross Young will chime in soon with some new bits of info on this topic as I am eagerly awaiting the next gen displays from Apple to go along with the M3/M4 Studio....

Or two Thunderbolt 3/4 links stitched to make a 6k 120Hz image. The OG 30” Cinema Display was the first to use dual-link DVI back in the day. I can see them making a custom connection on the display side that Y’s out to two USB-C Thunderbolt connections.

Last edited:

iSandrotto

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023
Or two Thunderbolt 3/4 links stitched to make a 6k 120Hz image. The OG 30” Cinema Display was the first to use dual-link DVI back in the day. I can see them making a custom connection on the display side that Y’s out to two USB-C Thunderbolt connections.
Even if it was technically feasible, wouldn't it make more sense to wait for just a few months longer until Thunderbolt 5 will be available with M4 and render such a technical workaround unnecessary? After all, from their perspective, there's no rush as they already have two Apple displays on the market.

Wrylachlan2

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Even if it was technically feasible, wouldn't it make more sense to wait for just a few months longer until Thunderbolt 5 will be available with M4 and render such a technical workaround unnecessary? After all, from their perspective, there's no rush as they already have two Apple displays on the market.
This. With TB5 right around the corner it would make zero sense for Apple to release new displays before it lands. That said, the M4 generation and TB5 displays could land in October of ‘24 - though I think a ‘25 release in conjunction with M4 Studios/Mac Pros is more likely.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
This. With TB5 right around the corner it would make zero sense for Apple to release new displays before it lands. That said, the M4 generation and TB5 displays could land in October of ‘24 - though I think a ‘25 release in conjunction with M4 Studios/Mac Pros is more likely.
I think you get an updated studio display first then XDR down the road, they will bring the studio display up to current silicon to just save a buck and offer some more perks. The issue is no one in supply chains have any sort of hint at a brighter 5k panel nor HDR nor multiline dimming, and lets face it normally for something like this by now there are hints of whats coming. The display guru are mute on the subject, as it seems everyone is in a holding pattern for QD-OLED and the extremely reduced burn in of them to take a foot hold in the display industry.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
Apple did not explicitly rule out the possibility of a 32-inch iMac being released in the future.
Between how long it took to get an update from the M1 iMac to the M3 iMac (a record 914 days!) and how little the specs changed, I think it's safe to say that the iMac is an afterthought for Apple these days. 😭

If they can't be bothered to update the RAM or storage on a $1300 device after over two years, I'm pretty sure they're not about to make a 32 inch version of it. 😥

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
If the resolution remains the same, it still won't require DisplayPort 2.1 since Pro Display XDR already uses DSC which compresses the 6K and 60Hz signal to "visually lossless".

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
As a photographer, screen glare is a major issue for me, and Apple's nano-texture displays, while reducing glare, unfortunately soften images too much. It makes texts appear unsharp, like there's a layer of dirt you can't clean off. The specific cleaning requirements add to the inconvenience. My current 4K BenQ display with its matte finish is excellent, and it's puzzling why Apple can't offer something similar for both Studio Display and Pro Display XDR. If I had to choose I would pick regular glass even though it would cause inconvenience since I just can't stand blurry text.

I fondly remember the matte finish of my old 17" MacBook Pro and yearn for Apple to reintroduce that matte texture to their MacBooks and displays. If Apple were to offer a standard matte finish on the Pro Display XDR, along with superior build-in speakers (even better than those on the Studio Display) and a straightforward webcam, I'd find its current price justifiable. However, the last thing I would want is for it to be equipped with another Apple chip. In my experience, these chips introduce more complications than benefits. I'd prefer it if Apple kept it as a straightforward display, free from unnecessary frills and complexities.

Last edited:

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
The 30” Cinema Display was $3299 in June 2004 when it launched. I think the price dropped to $1999 before they killed it in July 2010. I paid $200 for mine in 2020.

I’m hoping to pick up one of these Pro displays a few years after they are discontinued, but if history is any guide, it won’t be for another 6 years that they are at or below $1000.

I can wait.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I'm hoping for a quality display that has multiple inputs allowing me to use my work PC and personal Mac on the same display.
Especially if it actually has a HDMI 2.1 port, then the current M2 Studios/Pros can work with this monitor. While this would be great, I highly doubt Apple will do it. They would prefer everyone buy new machines with Thunderbolt 5.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think you get an updated studio display first then XDR down the road, they will bring the studio display up to current silicon to just save a buck and offer some more perks. The issue is no one in supply chains have any sort of hint at a brighter 5k panel nor HDR nor multiline dimming, and lets face it normally for something like this by now there are hints of whats coming. The display guru are mute on the subject, as it seems everyone is in a holding pattern for QD-OLED and the extremely reduced burn in of them to take a foot hold in the display industry.
Sadly the panel industry isn't really interested in hiDPI panels. Things are simply going to higher and higher refresh rates and a slight move towards ultrawides. Still hoping for a 7k3k 21:9 display, but I think i'll be waiting a while...

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
I'm hoping for a quality display that has multiple inputs allowing me to use my work PC and personal Mac on the same display.
This is one thing I hate about the latests apple displays.
For example I have an apple TV (so in the end apple got my money), but couldn't attach it to my apple purchased display...
I know there's ther apple TV app, but this limits my choices.
Having USB-C only for displays is not a good choice...

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
It IS only 6k… Should be 8k for that price tbh.

I am still convinced both of Apples recent displays where supposed to be the mid and top-tier imacs. But the market wouldn’t be receptive due to market research/price. Fair assessment I guess. But they would have been pretty juicy with an M3 Max… 🤤

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.