Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Polk Audio today debuted its latest flagship sound bar systems, the MagniFi Max AX and AX SR. The compact systems both include an 11-speaker-array sound bar with dedicated center channels and up-firing height speakers, as well as a 10-inch wireless subwoofer. The SR system adds two additional wireless surround speakers.

polk-magnifi-max-ax-sr-lifestyle.jpg

The new sound bars support both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X along with Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) technology for immersive sound, and AirPlay 2 is a welcome inclusion for Apple fans. Google Chromecast, Spotify Connect, and Works with Alexa services are also supported thanks to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.

polk-magnifi-max-ax-sr.jpg

One-touch modes optimize the systems for movies, TV, or music, while Night Mode turns down the bass to reduce potentially disruptive bass sounds and Polk's VoiceAdjust technology ensures that voices are intelligible above the rest of the audio. Connections include 3-in/1-out 4K HDMI ports with eARC, as well as an optical input. A subtle OLED display on the front panel shows your adjustments but dims when not in use.

The MagniFi Max AX ($799) and MagniFi Max AX SR ($899) systems are available to order starting today and will begin shipping next month.

Article Link: Polk Audio Introduces New MagniFi Max AX Sound Bar Systems With Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and AirPlay 2

Reactions: HMFIC03

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I wish these things would compete on robustness and reliability rather than persnickety audio claims that no-one cares about.
eg my LG Soundbar + satellite speakers sounds great and is mostly robust, but once a month or so it refuses to wake up when the rest of the system wakes up, so I get audio through the TV until I power cycle the soundbar.

IMHO this is unacceptable in consumer electronics, but no review tracks stuff like this; they'd rather tell you about the 96KHz response curve or something equally irrelevant to normal use cases.

applewatchpro

Suspended
Sep 6, 2022
I'd really like to know how this compares to a Sonos system. This whole system costs as much as 1 piece of the Sonos system.

I've still yet to buy the Sonos sub because I just can't bring myself to pay another $700+ for just the sub, when the Sonos Arc and Sonos One(s) already put me over $1200. But the system lacks any depth without the sub.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I never been a fan of Polk audio products as far as sound or build quality. Looks like another typical budget soundbar solution. Although at $799 you have some competing brands choices to go with. :)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I hope that one Apple will make a Dolby Atmos system. Would buy it instantaneously.
All the current Apple built in speakers supporting Dolby Atmos implementations are a bit similar. (High-fidelity six-speaker system with force-cancelling woofers)
I am currently using a 6 speaker M1 24" iMac along with a 6 speaker 16" M1 Max MBP that supports that.

It would be neat if Apple provided an larger updated HomePod design supporting Dolby Atmos where a pair of them could form an alternative to a sounder and woofer solution for TV or computer usage.

dunos

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
I've still yet to buy the Sonos sub because I just can't bring myself to pay another $700+ for just the sub, when the Sonos Arc and Sonos One(s) already put me over $1200. But the system lacks any depth without the sub.

There are rumours of a Sonos mini-sub that might be priced lower than the sub.

I tried the sub but took it back. It was way too much for my row house. I hope the mini-sub will be more appropriate.

I can't believe there are people out there who actually have two subs!

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I really need to dump my current speaker/receiver setup for something like this. This would take up so much less space. Wouldn't sound as good, but I really love the size.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Sonys surround system HT-A9 is getting decent reviews, bit pricey especially when you add the Sub but I suppose it’s smaller than a receiver etc

I’m just looking for a decent receiver with wireless speakers, anyone got any suggestions? Or do I just go with a wireless adaptor for the rears?

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I've never understood how I would benefit from wireless surrounds. They still have to be plugged in for power, and copper audio wires from a receiver can be virtually any length (since you can cut them yourself) and are so much easier to run under carpets or along walls. With the bluetooth surrounds, that power cable is going to be a pain to compromise between where the speaker should be placed vs where the outlet is, right?

Chicagoblah

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
There are rumours of a Sonos mini-sub that might be priced lower than the sub.

I tried the sub but took it back. It was way too much for my row house. I hope the mini-sub will be more appropriate.

I can't believe there are people out there who actually have two subs!
Two subs can help with a lot of room issues, there is usually a sweet spot when it comes to the bass frequency response and seating position , adding a second sub can really help with this sort of thing and its usually more about accuracy than it being loud.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
You literally aren't listening to a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos recording from a single source or 2 or 3 source. The point of surround in its true sense requires the solution to be in the recorded positions recommended by Dolby when recording with Atmos.

As usual this is a binaural panner, time delayed solution that simulates it on a budget.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I'd really like to know how this compares to a Sonos system. This whole system costs as much as 1 piece of the Sonos system.

Polk are a very established audio manufacturer and have made high quality speakers since before it was cool ( :) ). I had a great setup that included Polk speakers in the mid 90s. I’d hope that these are solid.

No hate for Sonos, but they certainly charge for their gear, and enjoy quite a return on their marketing efforts.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Sonys surround system HT-A9 is getting decent reviews, bit pricey especially when you add the Sub but I suppose it’s smaller than a receiver etc

I’m just looking for a decent receiver with wireless speakers, anyone got any suggestions? Or do I just go with a wireless adaptor for the rears?
Edit: my suggestion is redundant as you don’t want a soundbar I assume.

I got the Sony HT-7000 and SA-SW5 sub a few months ago and the recently released SA-RS5 wireless upfiring rears a couple of weeks ago. Very hefty price overall, but sounds incredible, is well specced if you’re hooking up consoles etc and it gets updates. VRR pass through support is hopefully incoming, but I’m a few years off having a VRR tv anyway.

I go 10 years plus between hi fi setups typically, old one was from 2008, so I don’t mind the hefty price. Bought it to coincide with move to a detached house so there’s no real limit on how loud I can have it, unlike my last place 😃

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I've never understood how I would benefit from wireless surrounds. They still have to be plugged in for power, and copper audio wires from a receiver can be virtually any length (since you can cut them yourself) and are so much easier to run under carpets or along walls. With the bluetooth surrounds, that power cable is going to be a pain to compromise between where the speaker should be placed vs where the outlet is, right?
The difference is that a modern US house (I have no idea about your house) has I don't know, maybe 8 electrical sockets in a TV/family room, including both sockets near the front of the room (power TV, sound bar, bass) and at the back of the room (power satellites).
This means that for most people a system with something like soundbar + bass + two satellites is fairly easy to plug in and manage. (Eg I put my two satellites on book cases that are mounted against the back wall).

I don't know exactly what the current CA code is, but it seems to be something like a power point every linear 6 feet of wall.
Which might sound ridiculous (and looks like overkill when you see a bare room) but it turns out to be SO nice when you actually live in the house and rarely have to either run long cables or use aggressive power splitters.

Reactions: redscull

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
What's the smartest sound system these days? Like it knows what codec is coming in and processes the right way with the least amount of user selection? I find a lot of traditional AV's like Denon, Yamaha etc have all these settings for movies music etc but often kind of screw up the sound or override things like Dolby Atmos etc when selected. I guess what's the best system for auto-selecting how the incoming sound should be processed?

I'm guessing maybe sonos?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Edit: my suggestion is redundant as you don’t want a soundbar I assume.

I got the Sony HT-7000 and SA-SW5 sub a few months ago and the recently released SA-RS5 wireless upfiring rears a couple of weeks ago. Very hefty price overall, but sounds incredible, is well specced if you’re hooking up consoles etc and it gets updates. VRR pass through support is hopefully incoming, but I’m a few years off having a VRR tv anyway.

I go 10 years plus between hi fi setups typically, old one was from 2008, so I don’t mind the hefty price. Bought it to coincide with move to a detached house so there’s no real limit on how loud I can have it, unlike my last place 😃
Im not competely closed off to sound bar solutions, I just think that if I am going to spend a considerable amount I could just geta reciever with 7+ HDMI inputs etc. I know the wife would prefer somethnig smaller tho (queue the jokes:p )

Reactions: yegon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.