Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller believes the iPad Pro can be both a PC replacement and a supplementary device to the Mac.

ipad-pro-vs-mac-800x400.jpg

In a wide-ranging interview with T3 about the iPad Pro and other Apple products, including the iPhone X, iMac Pro, HomePod, and AirPods, Schiller said the iPad Pro's exact use case ultimately varies by customer.
What we've learned, truthfully, is that it's both, and that depends on the user. For some people, iPad Pro is a replacement for their computer. Not that you throw away your computer. People don't often do that.
Schiller added that, for many customers, the iPad Pro becomes their primary computing device, especially while traveling.
But that it becomes your primary computing device. The way you mostly hear about this is people say, 'I use a computer at my desk' or 'I use a notebook at my desk, but when I travel, I travel just with my iPad Pro'. It is so great in that situation.

So for those customers, the iPad has become their primary device, but they don't think of it in their brains as competing with their previous computer. It's just the computer they spend the most time with.
Schiller acknowledged that this isn't the case for everyone, as some customers may only use an iPad Pro for certain tasks where a tablet can provide a better experience, such as reading or watching movie and TV shows.
So depending on what those tasks are, for those customers they're augmenting. And what we try to do is not tell the customer that either direction is the right or wrong way. It's almost like they're making a distinction between the two, even though the uses are overlapping, and one is replacing the other frequently.
Schiller referred to the iPad Pro as a computer on a few occasions, which contrasts with Apple's latest "What's a Computer?" ad for the tablet.

At the end of the video, a mother asks her young daughter "what are you doing on your computer?" and the daughter responds by asking "what's a computer?" to imply that the iPad Pro is not a computer.

While the ad might suggest Apple's increasing focus on the iPad over the Mac, Schiller ensured that the company "cares deeply" about its pro customers. "We love that so much is created on Mac," he said.

To address the needs of those professionals, Apple is launching a powerful iMac Pro this week. The company is also working on a modular Mac Pro that will be accompanied by Apple-branded pro displays.

Interview: Apple's Phil Schiller on How the iPhone X 'Seemed Impossible at the Start'

Article Link: Phil Schiller Says iPad Pro Can Both Supplement and Replace the Mac

Reactions: sunwukong

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I use my iPad Pro 10.5 for school for nearly 90% of what I need, but the other 10% is vital to keep my MBP around so his assessment is spot on. I think Apple has definitely made big strides with iOS 11 on the iPad productivity side too and makes even more compelling as an every day all around device.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Mouse is not so much important in iOS world, but mouse needs to be allowed in third party apps. I actually believe it, citrix app I think allows it, but it is not mainstream. Remote desktop needs to have mouse available. I remote into my virtual desktop work computer from my personal mac anyway. I would love to be able to login into my servers/vdi from a mac and using a mouse.

GabrielMoro

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
It sure can replace the MacBook. But not in a "Pro" way. The device shouldn't be labeled "Pro", because it isn't. You can't do any proper 3D modeling, powerful video editing (with Final Cut Pro), use multiple professional apps at the same time intuitively... But I do believe they could achieve this if they worked hard enough. Focus on great apps, add the OPTION of using it like you would use a Mac. Then it is a computer.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
There are a few important things which are not technical, but Apple Policy that is preventing people to use iPad as laptop replacements.
1. Application Walled garden: For my phone and dedicated mobile devices, this isn't a big deal as the large number of apps do what I would on the device. However on my Laptop I will want to do some more computational things, such as programming, system administration, and working with new software.

2. Single User interface: I may want to share the device with others with different settings and history. Also I sometimes make myself different accounts to test different things.

3. Long term support for apps: I have a handful of apps which will not work in iOS 11. I don't know why and I don't care, If I downloaded them and paid for them I should be able to use them.

There are also some technical reasons such as long high CPU usage. Speed and upgradability.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
8553BD48-2B29-4CC8-9FD1-09741F5BE7B0.jpeg

Okay now that I got that out of my system, if you look at his actual words it’s all marketing doublespeak and he’s not really committing himself or Apple one way or another. People like me who can replace a desktop with an iPad Pro will hear that part of what he said and agree. People who need a full computer for their workflow will nod and agree with that part of it. For once he hedged well enough not to dig himself into a hole.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Front-end web developer and sometimes full-stack dev here. No way. I work for a huge airline on their front-facing site, and there's no way I can do my work on an iPad outside of email and mobile web testing.

That being said, I work on a Macbook Pro at work and at home, and it's wonderful. Until iPads can run full-scale developer tools like Eclipse/intelliJ, debug a web server running on the same iPad, etc... I don't see it being viable from a software development perspective. It'd be slick as hell though if I could "work from beach" on an iPad with a keyboard... but I think we're probably 5-10 years from that dream unless I go through the awkward hassle of virtuals, VM, remote desktop, etc.

Maybe if you're an administrative assistant that sends emails, answers calls, and uses Word?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The iPad Pro can replace a laptop for some of the everyday people, for example my dad who uses my old 2015 iPad Pro now that I’ve upgraded to the 2017 version, he uses it to check and write emails, Facebook, FaceTime, browsing the web, buying things from Amazon and so on, for him it’s replaced his old and rubbish Acer laptop. For people such as myself who still love the Mac and both write a lot and edit a little (especially if you use Final Cut X) it won replace a Mac.

I don’t think the iPad Pro needs to replace a Mac, there is room for both, I certainly love to use both my iMac, iPad Pro and my MacBook Pro, they all serve different purposes.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That is certainly a more sound argument. It depends on the user. For some, it's their primary computer. For others, including myself, it compliments the Mac. This is the slant I hope they continue to take: Primary for some, secondary for others.

This is one of the most sound interviews Schiller has given this year (along with early April's Mac discussion), and it actually makes me understand what Apple are trying to do. The blatant hype-speak is obnoxious, but when this is tempered with actual observations, usage and results I will give them my ear. Yes, he's a high mucky muck in marketing and will say things to incite (as he has with me), and attempt to get folks to buy the products and services - that is his job. But reading more balanced less hyped pieces like this make me more interested in what he is discussing and trying to sell.

I do not think I'd be so hard on Apple's company talk if they gave more interviews like this. Through weighted conversation I learn a lot more about the products. That helps me decide whether I want to try, and/or buy instead of immediately turning me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.