Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
Hi, I am thinking to upgrade from ipados 15 to the current version of iPadOS. Is that a mistake? whats your experience with v17 on this Pro 4th gen? I have my doubts in terms of speed, performance, sluggishness etc.

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Since iOS 17 runs well on a 10,5 ipad Pro and iPad air 3 (2nd gen) i'd say you won't have any problems with it.
Added bonus, your device will have a pile of nasty security flaws patched and bugs fixed.
Just make sure you update apps as well so that they are patched along with your new updated OS.

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
Since iOS 17 runs well on a 10,5 ipad Pro and iPad air 3 (2nd gen) i'd say you won't have any problems with it.
Added bonus, your device will have a pile of nasty security flaws patched and bugs fixed.
Just make sure you update apps as well so that they are patched along with your new updated OS.
well, the added bonus will also bring new flaws ;)

Thanks though.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I’ve updated my 4th gen 12.9” iPadPro to v17.4.1, the current version as I write this. Works fine. Don’t notice any differences in the speed of apps I use, nor battery life, nor anything else. I do like and use Stage Manager from time to time though when I’m heads down in a single app, usually ninox, I cancel it and focus on the one app.

Other than above, I do feel better about being on a currently-supported and theoretically safest version of iOS. Big thing for me: v17.4.1 works, works well, works about the same as with previous software, and I’m happy (and perhaps delusional) that I’ve got the security of the most recent software.

Side note: no interest in upgrading to any newer iPadPro at this time. No need to do so for my uses.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’d keep it on iPadOS 15, especially if you have battery life worries. You seem to value performance and battery life (after all, you didn’t mention a specific reason to update).

If you want that, the rule of thumb is to never update. Only update if you specifically need, say, app support and/or compatibility and are willing to lose performance and especially battery life over it. Otherwise, if you will update just for the sake of updating, don’t.

Reactions: Newcerrone

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Runs well on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro is outright false. Battery life isn’t good. On the Air 3 it’s probably better, but not as good as, say, iOS 12.

If you’re going to recommend updating, do so, but please be truthful. Updates are irreversible, and misleading advice by people who recommend updating has directly harmed the experience of thousands of users throughout the years.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Runs well on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro is outright false. Battery life isn’t good. On the Air 3 it’s probably better, but not as good as, say, iOS 12.

If you’re going to recommend updating, do so, but please be truthful. Updates are irreversible, and misleading advice by people who recommend updating have directly harmed the experience of thousands of users throughout the years.
Since you don't run these OS versions how would you know?

Stick to your iOS 12 cult but please, be truthful that its beliefs you provide and not facts.

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
I’d keep it on iPadOS 15, especially if you have battery life worries. You seem to value performance and battery life (after all, you didn’t mention a specific reason to update).

If you want that, the rule of thumb is to never update. Only update if you specifically need, say, app support and/or compatibility and are willing to lose performance and especially battery life over it. Otherwise, if you will update just for the sake of updating, don’t.
Valid points. Thats my thinking as well and has been my modus operandi for the Pro, iPhone and Mini so far (all on 15)

As the v17 seems to run smoothly I am thinking to at least do one upgrade to v17. I am not aware of the ability to upgrade to an older OS, when, say, iPadOS 19 is out for example.

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
I’ve updated my 4th gen 12.9” iPadPro to v17.4.1, the current version as I write this. Works fine. Don’t notice any differences in the speed of apps I use, nor battery life, nor anything else. I do like and use Stage Manager from time to time though when I’m heads down in a single app, usually ninox, I cancel it and focus on the one app.

Other than above, I do feel better about being on a currently-supported and theoretically safest version of iOS. Big thing for me: v17.4.1 works, works well, works about the same as with previous software, and I’m happy (and perhaps delusional) that I’ve got the security of the most recent software.

Side note: no interest in upgrading to any newer iPadPro at this time. No need to do so for my uses.
Can anyone else confirm this? Thank you.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Since you don't run these OS versions how would you know?

Stick to your iOS 12 cult but please, be truthful that its beliefs you provide and not facts.
Ample users reports and screenshots. Where’s your screenshot showing that battery life is good on iPadOS 17? No updated user ever provides one. I have provided one every single time.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Valid points. Thats my thinking as well and has been my modus operandi for the Pro, iPhone and Mini so far (all on 15)

As the v17 seems to run smoothly I am thinking to at least do one upgrade to v17. I am not aware of the ability to upgrade to an older OS, when, say, iPadOS 19 is out for example.
You do not have that ability. It’s the latest version or nothing. When iPadOS 19 comes out, it will be iPadOS 19 or nothing.

It’s like I always say: I have an unpopular opinion when it comes to this. Not many people stay behind. You can update if the masses convince you, because in the end, it’s not me who suffers the consequences, it’s you.

I have no agenda, I gain nothing by telling people not to update. I sincerely think it’s the best option.

If you absolutely need iPadOS 17 for the compatibility, don’t wait... or wait a little. Right before iPadOS 18 is released, update to the latest possible version of iPadOS 17. It’s probably the most stable one. But that’s if you absolutely need to update. That’s what I’d do.

Why do you want to update? Is there a specific reason? A specific need?

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
You do not have that ability. It’s the latest version or nothing. When iPadOS 19 comes out, it will be iPadOS 19 or nothing.

It’s like I always say: I have an unpopular opinion when it comes to this. Not many people stay behind. You can update if the masses convince you, because in the end, it’s not me who suffers the consequences, it’s you.

I have no agenda, I gain nothing by telling people not to update. I sincerely think it’s the best option.

If you absolutely need iPadOS 17 for the compatibility, don’t wait... or wait a little. Right before iPadOS 18 is released, update to the latest possible version of iPadOS 17. It’s probably the most stable one. But that’s if you absolutely need to update. That’s what I’d do.

Why do you want to update? Is there a specific reason? A specific need?
Thank you.

Well, There are a couple of apps that I use more or less regularly that want me to make an upgrade. However, I practically 98% of the time, I use the Pro to read PDFs.

My wife has a 4th gen 11 Pro”. 17 runs well on that one, so I just upgrade the Mini to 17. iPhone and 12.9 Pro will stay on 15 for now.

I used to be nerd in that regard but since there’s hardly anything new apart from new fancy features that don’t provide much value to me, I’d rather not upgrade.

Since Apple neeeeeeds to sell hardware, they have every little incentive to make folks upgrade.

Besides, a friend runs iOS 17 on an XS. Looked pretty smooth to me, however, I got no idea how the battery does on 17. Battery quality is at 74 %.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Thank you.

Well, There are a couple of apps that I use more or less regularly that want me to make an upgrade. However, I practically 98% of the time, I use the Pro to read PDFs.

My wife has a 4th gen 11 Pro”. 17 runs well on that one, so I just upgrade the Mini to 17. iPhone and 12.9 Pro will stay on 15 for now.

I used to be nerd in that regard but since there’s hardly anything new apart from new fancy features that don’t provide much value to me, I’d rather not upgrade.

Since Apple neeeeeeds to sell hardware, they have every little incentive to make folks upgrade.

Besides, a friend runs iOS 17 on an XS. Looked pretty smooth to me, however, I got no idea how the battery does on 17. Battery quality is at 74 %.
You say “apps that want me to update”. They want you to update for what? To use them, or to update them to the latest version? It’s one thing if they require an update to work, a very different one if their latest version doesn’t support iPadOS 15. The latter still works, the former doesn’t.

If you have another iPad on iPadOS 17 there’s exactly zero reason to update imo. Everything goes out the window if you have another device fully updated.

iOS 17 on an iPhone XS will work decently well in terms of performance. Battery life will be very poor however. Don’t take my work for it, ask your friend. I’d be surprised if their screen-on time is anywhere near a decent number. They may be a light enough user for them to tell you “it works for me”, but check actual screen-on time. I’m pretty sure it won’t be good.

Last edited:

Newcerrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
Sorry for the delay.

> You say “apps that want me to update
PressReader needed an app update (which required at least iPadOS 16) to read the WSJ and a couple of others.

> iOS 17 on an iPhone XS will work decently well in terms of performance. Battery life will be very poor however. Don’t take my work for it, ask your friend.
I did. Screen-on time is not great. But he also doesn't mind charging all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.