Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Item tracking company Pebblebee today announced the launch of two new products that are designed to integrate with the Find My app. The Pebblebee Clip and the Pebblebee Card are the latest accessories that can be tracked through the Find My network on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

pebblebee-clip-1.jpg

Both the Clip and the Card are similar to Apple's own AirTag and other Find My-compatible tracking devices like the Chipolo ONE Spot. Each one can be added to the items tab in the Find My app with just a couple of taps, and they can be tracked right alongside your other Apple devices.

Like other Find My devices, the Pebblebee Clip and Pebblebee Card take advantage of the Find My network. When attached to an item that is lost or misplaced outside of the range of the item owner, the accessories are able to leverage other nearby Apple devices to relay their position back to the item owner.

pebblebee-card-1.jpg

The Clip and the Card are unique in that they can also alternatively be used with the Pebblebee app to take advantage of the CrowdGPS network, so Apple's Find My app isn't the only tracking solution when purchasing these trackers. Both iPhone and Android users can use the Pebblebee app, so these are cross-platform compatible. You will need to choose Find My or the Pebblebee app, however, as both do not work simultaneously.

Design wise, the Pebblebee Clip is a standard looking black item tracker with a metal frame, and it is designed to attach to keys, bags, bicycles, luggage, and other valuables. It offers a 500 foot tracking range along with water resistance and a loud buzzer to make it easier to locate. The Clip also includes LED lights that are designed to make it easier to locate in the dark.

pebblebee-clip-2.jpg

The Pebblebee Card is best for wallets, bags, coats, passports, and other similar items. It is made from a soft touch black plastic material and it is the thickness of a couple of credit cards. For comparison's sake, the Pebblebee Card is just about the same size as the Chipolo CARD Spot that we reviewed earlier this year. It has a loud leave behind alert and is able to play a notably loud sound when activated through the Find My app.

Unlike the AirTags, the Clip and the Card feature built-in rechargeable batteries, so there is no need to regularly replace the battery. In the Clip, the battery lasts for up to six months on a single charge, and on the Card, the battery works for up to 12 months on one charge.

Recharging the Card can be done through an included proprietary charging cable that attaches to the item trackers magnetically. You'll need to supply your own power adapter and make sure not to lose the charger, but on the whole, it's a better charging solution than a replaceable battery (or non-replaceable like the Chipolo). The Clip is even easier to charge because it includes a USB-C port and can be charged with any USB-C cable.

pebblebee-card-2.jpg

The inclusion of a rechargeable battery in the Clip and Card does not make them much thicker than other item tracking solutions. The Card is slim enough to fit inside even a thin wallet, and the Clip is similar in thickness to the AirTag.

The Pebblebee Clip and the Pebblebee Card can be purchased from the Pebblebee website. Each is priced at $30, and there is a Clip four-pack available for $100.

Article Link: Pebblebee Launches New Clip and Card With Find My Integration

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
While I understand that this is a new tracker, my most recent experience with Pebblebee was awful. Trackers didn't respond when pinged, or were extremely delayed even when they were just 5 feet away. I replaced them with Tile trackers and I've never had a single issue with any of them.

Zero chance I purchase this.

saltukkos

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2022
Wow, I thought that rechargeable battery will lead to weaker battery time, but it seems pretty solid

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Skipped on one point that I'm looking to solve... Any cheap recommendations out there for a pretty decent tracker that isn't tied to a single account? It has to be my biggest misgiving with the Airtag... My wife and I have an object or animal we want to have some chance of finding without needing the other's phone/help, or pointless warnings every time I take the dog for a walk that an airtag has been found nearby... 99.9% sure I know which airtag this is. Surely there's something out there that can be shared between a few people.

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
NOT going to be easily usable between the two tracking networks offered. Website quote:
Pebblebee Clip gives you the option to use either the Apple Find My™ app or the Pebblebee app, which is compatible with both Android and iOS. The choice is yours.
Works with Pebblebee App or Apple Find My

Using the Apple Find My network prohibits the use of the Pebblebee App, and vice versa. You may not operate simultaneously on the Apple Find My network and Pebblebee network. In order to change networks you must reset the device to factory settings.
Oh dear. Skip I guess.

Although at least it's nice to have more options given the Find My network has been here for ages with few products supporting it (eg. only one bicycle from Van Moof – given bikes are easily stolen, why have no other bike brands bothered??).

Reactions: GhostOS

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Got the card. I was looking for something for my wallet - so hopefully I like it when it arrives. Let's see.

Only got it because of the Find My network compatibility tbh. Otherwise, would have passed.

Reactions: nostaws

jdavid_rp

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2020
NOT going to be easily usable between the two tracking networks offered. Website quote:

Oh dear. Skip I guess.

Although at least it's nice to have more options given the Find My network has been here for ages with few products supporting it (eg. only one bicycle from Van Moof – given bikes are easily stolen, why have no other bike brands bothered??).
I think that was an apple requirement when they were forced to open the find my network, if a company wants to use it, they cant use their own network at the same time.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Major Con: Cannot use this in checked airline baggage due to rules preventing rechargeable batteries in checked baggage. Check your carrier and local rules. Apple's AirTags have an advantage here.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Find My integration AND rechargeable batteries? If this works the way it should, I may replace my AirTags.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Please note that the customer assumes all responsibility for the cost of return shipping and that return shipping will not be reimbursed. Further, please note that returns are subject to a 20% repackaging and restocking fee.

Never mind ... Cancelled.

AttoA

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2021
Major Con: Cannot use this in checked airline baggage due to rules preventing rechargeable batteries in checked baggage. Check your carrier and local rules. Apple's AirTags have an advantage here.
This is a commonly held belief, even by airline staff, but it is not actually true in most cases.

It IS the case that you cannot put spare lithium-ion batteries in checked luggage (e.g. power banks). However, batteries that are installed into electronic devices (like a smartphone, or one of these tags) can be checked.

FAA source:
Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device.

Example airline source (Delta):
Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry-on baggage.

Similarly, for United:
You can pack personal devices that have lithium batteries of less than 100-watt hours in your checked and carry-on bags.

Similar rules apply internationally, at least from my experience.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Recharging the Card can be done through an included proprietary charging cable that attaches to the item trackers magnetically. You'll need to supply your own power adapter and make sure not to lose the charger, but on the whole, it's a better charging solution than a replaceable battery (or non-replaceable like the Chipolo).
Not sure I agree that this is a better solution. When the built-in battery wears out, this is dead. The AirTag's battery can just be swapped out time after time, theoretically. Also not at all a fan of getting a special cable to keep track of.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Skipped on one point that I'm looking to solve... Any cheap recommendations out there for a pretty decent tracker that isn't tied to a single account? It has to be my biggest misgiving with the Airtag... My wife and I have an object or animal we want to have some chance of finding without needing the other's phone/help, or pointless warnings every time I take the dog for a walk that an airtag has been found nearby... 99.9% sure I know which airtag this is. Surely there's something out there that can be shared between a few people.
100% this. I'm really surprised Apple hasn't seen fit to make the AirTag play along with Family Sharing.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Just had another Chipolo card/One Spot delivered, but these look like they may have been a better bet.

It is good to see more competition in this space though. I cannot wait for Find My to start being incorporated into other devices, such as cameras though.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Not sure I agree that this is a better solution. When the built-in battery wears out, this is dead. The AirTag's battery can just be swapped out time after time, theoretically. Also not at all a fan of getting a special cable to keep track of.

Yes, a fair argument. I have been frustrated having to buy new batteries for AirTags 2x now, so I like the rechargeable functionality.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Cool, when my Tile Slim dies, I'll order the Card, I like that it is rechargeable as opposed to the Tile Slim. Tile Slim is supposed to last 3 years and mine is 2.5 years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.