Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2023
Anyone played with the Passwords app? Is it even in the beta yet? It might be early days, but I'm interested in some specifics to know if I might be able to switch to this.

I've seen a couple of demos of the iOS version, but not the macOS version, which matters more to me. I have reasonable confidence that the experience with the iOS version will be "fine".
  • Can it be used to fetch TOTP codes (i.e. "Google Authenticator" 6-digit codes)? — looking like yes, from what I see.
  • Can it be used to autofill passwords in browsers other than Safari (on macOS)?
    • I guess this might require an extension which could be planned but not yet available.
    • I saw that Apple is planning to support Apple Pay in third-party browsers on macOS in Sequoia, so surely they realize that people use them!
  • Can it autofill passwords in apps that are not a web browser? (i.e. using virtual keyboard input)
    • If so, can you change how the password is filled in? (I.e. enter vs. tab to switch fields)
Anyone else have any questions? I'm very interested to try this but can't set up a Sequoia install to mess with it just yet. Also, I need to see if the Windows version is workable and it doesn't look like they've made that available yet.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Yes, it does those things and it's pretty decent. I was tempted to switch from Bitwarden but I reminded myself my first rule of "not keeping all eggs in one basket" so I changed my mind. There are two things I want to keep as independent services (event with each other): email and password manager.

Reactions: PotentPeas

nycjdc

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Yes, it does those things and it's pretty decent. I was tempted to switch from Bitwarden but I reminded myself my first rule of "not keeping all eggs in one basket" so I changed my mind. There are two things I want to keep as independent services (event with each other): email and password manager.

Interesting. I was interested in dropping 1Password in late fall 2024, but what you say makes me conclude spending ~$30 for another year isn't that big of deal. Thanks.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
So many pieces missing, there is no way this can replace 1Password.

Login Notes only on Mac for now? (created)
No attachments
No Tags

No custom categories for different info... bank account, software license
No "identities" (Profiles)

Would love to see hidemymail integrated as well

Line_Noise

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2023
Has anyone worked out a sane SSH key workflow with it yet? Particularly one spanning multiple Macs and iOS?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I absolutely agree. But we (and most other MacRumor readers) are not the target. It is for Apple users who have never used a password manager and have bad password management (e.g. duplicate or simple passwords).

What may happen is that new sales of 1P (and other pw managers) take a hit.

Reactions: iGeneo

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Question about the Apple Passwords app. On iOS/iPadOS and maybe MacOS, it is secured by FaceID, ok. But when FaceID fails, does it fall back on the device's 4 or 6 digit password? Is that then all you need to unlock the Passwords app and expose all information in it?

1Pw user from day 1, but considering switching to APasswords.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Quick testing: MacOS prompts for both TouchID and your user password at the same time. Pick one.

iOS refuses to unlock if FaceTime isn't working. I've not tried deleting/changing my faceTime image.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Can it be used to fetch TOTP codes (i.e. "Google Authenticator" 6-digit codes)? — looking like yes, from what I see.
FYI, you can already do this on your Mac in the existing passwords implementation. I went to passwords under settings on Sonoma and I'm looking at a TOTP code I set up in iOS settings.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Question about the Apple Passwords app. On iOS/iPadOS and maybe MacOS, it is secured by FaceID, ok. But when FaceID fails, does it fall back on the device's 4 or 6 digit password? Is that then all you need to unlock the Passwords app and expose all information in it?

1Pw user from day 1, but considering switching to APasswords.
That's a good question and without looking it up I wonder if they added that to something covered by having stolen device protection turned on.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Quick testing: MacOS prompts for both TouchID and your user password at the same time. Pick one.

iOS refuses to unlock if FaceTime isn't working. I've not tried deleting/changing my faceTime image.
So just to clarify, on iOS, if FaceTime is turned on, but the phone does not recognize your face/or you block the camera, the Passwords app just won't unlock? In other words, it doesn't do what the phone's Lock Screen does, i.e. after two unsuccessful FaceID attempts, it doesn't offer to put in your 4 or 6 digit PIN?

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019

Login Notes only on Mac for now? (created)
No attachments
No Tags

No custom categories for different info... bank account, software license
No "identities" (Profiles)

Would love to see hidemymail integrated as well
Apple usually rolls out features slowly to make it easier to onboard non-techies (the majority of their customers) and not overwhelm them. With a new app, Apple likes to keep things simple in version 1.0.

It's highly likely Apple will add many of the features you mention in macOS 16/iOS 19.

• Haha
Reactions: bsmr and rmadsen3

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Anyone checked what does happen to 3rd party password managers within new macOS release? Can they still use native autofill and how will it be setup?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Is there any chance to protect passwords.app via TouchID/FaceID and/or password only!

At the moment you do have a fallback to enter the device PIN and you‘re in. I don‘t want that.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
So just to clarify, on iOS, if FaceTime is turned on, but the phone does not recognize your face/or you block the camera, the Passwords app just won't unlock? In other words, it doesn't do what the phone's Lock Screen does, i.e. after two unsuccessful FaceID attempts, it doesn't offer to put in your 4 or 6 digit PIN?
Is this also the case for devices not using 'stolen device protection'?

Within iOS17 we do have the same function for iPhones which activated the protection. This is not possible for iPads and Macs.

So is it the same like in iOS17 or did they really make it harder to access the passwords.app?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.