Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Really disappointing that Apple has not given us the more granular battery charging settings on the iPad as they have on the iPhone.

I typically don’t go places with my iPhone, so having a 95% settings works really well for me since I have my iPhone on a MagSafe charging stand while I’m at work.

My iPad stays plugged in about 95% of the time, and I’d like to have the 90% setting that’s offered on the iPhone. That way when I do take it off, it’s nearly fully, but only charging to 90% limits the battery damage from staying plugged in so much. 80% is too little for the times I unplug and move around with it.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Really disappointing that Apple has not given us the more granular battery charging settings on the iPad as they have on the iPhone.

I typically don’t go places with my iPhone, so having a 95% settings works really well for me since I have my iPhone on a MagSafe charging stand while I’m at work.

My iPad stays plugged in about 95% of the time, and I’d like to have the 90% setting that’s offered on the iPhone. That way when I do take it off, it’s nearly fully, but only charging to 90% limits the battery damage from staying plugged in so much. 80% is too little for the times I unplug and move around with it.
Must be something to do with the iphone 15 hardware else it would be on the older iphones, which it isnt.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Must be something to do with the iphone 15 hardware else it would be on the older iphones, which it isnt.
Possibly, but I don’t think that’s likely given the fact that the new M4 iPad Pro does have a limit charging option to begin with.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Possibly, but I don’t think that’s likely given the fact that the new M4 iPad Pro does have a limit charging option to begin with.
Ok, but your ipad and my phones don't have it

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Ok, but your ipad and my phones don't have it
My M4 iPad does have charge limiting though… it’s just restricted to 80%, rather than being as granular as the iPhone… my whole original point.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
My M4 iPad does have charge limiting though… it’s just restricted to 80%, rather than being as granular as the iPhone… my whole original point.
So back to my original point then.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
So back to my original point then.
😂 hardly. Apple has chosen to not provide as granular options on the iPad as on the iPhone. This is most likely them using their infinite wisdom (sarcasm) to limit user choice. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the SOC and everything to do with Apple limiting choice because they think they know better.

Also, they can absolutely provide these features on older phones. There are tools and apps that do exactly this. They are using this as a way to entice power users to upgrade to move more units. 💸

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
iOS 18 beta does come with a more "customer" controlled battery slider. From 80%, 85%, 90%, 95%, or 100%

Since this post was made in the iPadOS beta, i'm assuming the OP does not have iPadOS beta installed?

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
iOS 18 beta does come with a more "customer" controlled battery slider. From 80%, 85%, 90%, 95%, or 100%

Since this post was made in the iPadOS beta, i'm assuming the OP does not have iPadOS beta installed?
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

I have iPadOS 18 developer beta 3 installed on my iPad Pro M4. It only offers an 80% charging limit. This is different from iOS 18 beta 3 which offers more choices for the charge limit… which is what I’ve already conveyed here a few times in different ways.

Last edited:

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

I have iPadOS 18 developer beta 3 installed on my iPad Pro M4. It only offers an 80% charging limit. This is different from iOS 18 beta 3 which offers more choices for the charge limit… which is what I’ve already conveyed here a few times in different ways.
My ipad 10 on beta 3 (still currently sold by Apple) has no battery options whatsoever. My (currently still sold) SE2022 iphone has optimised charging on or off, no other options. It is very much hardware related, whether a ruse to sell better models, or simply the battery does not have the required chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.