Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's price increases for its upcoming iPad Pro models with OLED displays could be up to $160, which is substantially lower than early reports have predicted, claims DigiTimes.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

Apple's current 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799, while the 12.9-inch model with a mini-LED display starts at $1,099. Previous reports have claimed that the pricing for the next-generation 11-inch ‌OLED ‌iPad‌ Pro‌ could start at $1,500, while the 13-inch model might start at $1,800.

One report even quoted up to $2,000 for the larger model, although this could be referring to a higher storage tier available for the 13-inch.

DigiTimes does not cite a source for the $160 price increase figure, but if it is accurate or even approximately correct, that could see the starting price of Apple's 11-inch OLED iPad Pro remain under $1,000, with the 13-inch variant starting at around $1,200 to $1,300.

The increase in cost is attributed to the OLED panels, which Apple has not used in iPads before. OLED panels are more expensive to source than LCD panels, and Apple's specific requirements for the screens, such as a very thin design using a tandem-stack design, contribute to the higher cost of these OLED panels compared to others on the market.

On the plus side, OLED technology not only improves display longevity and efficiency but also allows for higher brightness levels. Apple is sourcing these OLED panels from Samsung and LG Display, who are rumored to be developing these special two-stack tandem OLED panels specifically for Apple.

The new iPad Pro models are expected to be powered by Apple's latest M3 chips. MagSafe charging is a possibility for the upcoming devices, and they are also likely to be accompanied by a refreshed version of the Magic Keyboard that includes a larger trackpad to make the ‌iPad Pro‌ look more like a laptop than the current models.

New ‌iPad Air‌ and ‌‌iPad Pro‌‌ models and accompanying accessories are expected to launch around the end of March. For everything else we know about the forthcoming ‌iPad Pro‌ models, be sure to check out our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: OLED iPad Pro Price Hikes May Be Lower Than Early Reports Suggested

Last edited:

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
So the savings they are making having an OLED panel rather than a cutting-edge full array local dimming mini LED backlights with thousands of zone aren't being passed onto the consumer then? Sounds like Apple are using the excuse of moving to a new technology (for them) to arbitrarily hike prices even further. Samsung have been putting quality OLED displays in their tablets for years and at much lower price points.

Samsung's current massive 14.6" OLED Tab S9 Ultra is £500 cheaper than the current M2 iPad Pro for the 512gb model.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Calling it now they'll get rid of the 128GB variant so people looking to buy it can give themselves the excuse that "well the base storage has also gone up so I guess the price isn't so bad" lol
I keep note of base prices these days, so when new devices get released I can see exactly what prices decreased/increased.

I would skip Apple's website and look elsewhere, because My M3 Pro MacBook Pro RRP is £2,499, but I got a pretty penny off on Amazon and paid £2,280 only the week after release.

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Ross Young about iPad Pro: “There is alot more that can be said about the OLED panels. First OLED tablets with LTPO, first OLED tablets with a tandem stack, brightest and longest life OLEDs in tablets, lightest and thinnest OLEDs tablets as well due to glass thinning and TFE.”

Alpha God Vonn

Suspended
Sep 20, 2021
So the savings they are making having an OLED panel rather than a cutting-edge full array local dimming mini LED backlights with thousands of zone aren't being passed onto the consumer then? Sounds like Apple are using the excuse of moving to a new technology (for them) to arbitrarily hike prices even further. Samsung have been putting quality OLED displays in their tablets for years and at much lower price points.

Samsung's current massive 14.6" OLED Tab S9 Ultra is £500 cheaper than the current M2 iPad Pro for the 512gb model.
They are using a new Dual Layer OLED panels (Two vs 1) to increase the brightness & longevity of the panels.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
still wild that they are increasing the price of a product category that is already not selling. Only Apple would do that
To be fair, Apple plans this device upgrades several years ahead. Remember that we’ve been hearing about a redesigned iPad Pro with MagSafe and a a new glass back well before the M2 iPad Pro was released. Same for the OLED screen. If Apple has been working on this new iPad Pro for, say, 2 or 3 years, they couldn’t foresee the iPad sales decline of 2023, a decline that can be explained because it’s been an exceptional year with no new iPads.

Also, we don’t know if the iPad Pro has been selling better than other categories, we only know the global iPad data, and that includes the Air, the mini and the 10th gen. But yeah, I guess the cheaper base iPads and the Air are selling better than other categories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.