Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Is this feature only available to pro models or is this another “coming soon”, I’m not seeing it as an option yet and I need to fix my chimpanzee handwriting lol

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I read on the apple web site for smart script:

Available on iPad Pro (M4), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation and later), iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation and later)

Which I really don't get, supported on 11inch 3rd Gen iPad Pro but not 12.9 inch 3rd Gen iPad Pro (what I have), very similar hardware and one is supported that other not ??

Anyone know why ?

A.

Last edited:

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I read on the apple web site for smart script:

Available on iPad Pro (M4), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation and later), iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation and later)

Which I really don't get, supported on 11inch 3rd Gen iPad Pro but not 12.9 inch 3rd Gen iPad Pro (what I have), very similar hardware and one is supported that other not ??

Anyone know why ?

A.
I guess it needs a Mx.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014

Click on the plus sign in the bottom right in the "Handwriting with Smart Script box" and you get a description with a reference to point 1, which is what I pasted above (point 1 can be found at the bottom of the page as always).

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
mm I am guessing that this is terminology... most people think of the 3rd gen as the iPad released in 2018 in both 11 and 12.9 inch... but one could also see this as the 3rd generation of 12.9 and this (2018 model) was the first generation of 11inch... this would make sense at the 5th gen 12.9 and 3rd gen 11inch both released at the same time, the first iPads with M1... so @DaniTheFox was right.... bummer ..

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Would never have thought to look in that particular menu to set this up. Apple certainly has a way about burying the settings for featured features in obscure places. And they wonder why some have such low adoption rates.

It does work. My handwriting is bad even on paper is really bad. On glass it's even worse. So this could be a game changer. So far, as noted above, it's subtle. Perhaps as it learns my handwriting (ha!) it will get even better. I don't want Comic Sans, but I also want to be able to read what I write, which has been the principal impediment to my using the Pencil to take notes.

Now to see if this is a PencilKit universal feature or just in Notes.

Reactions: Cbarnett202

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Would never have thought to look in that particular menu to set this up. Apple certainly has a way about burying the settings for featured features in obscure places. And they wonder why some have such low adoption rates.

It does work. My handwriting is bad even on paper is really bad. On glass it's even worse. So this could be a game changer. So far, as noted above, it's subtle. Perhaps as it learns my handwriting (ha!) it will get even better. I don't want Comic Sans, but I also want to be able to read what I write, which has been the principal impediment to my using the Pencil to take notes.

Now to see if this is a PencilKit universal feature or just in Notes.
Re your last point, in PDF markup there is the option for me but it says it will enable when connected to wifi (which I already am). I'm hopeful that other apps will be able to switch it on once they've integrated the new pencil kit API...

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Re your last point, in PDF markup there is the option for me but it says it will enable when connected to wifi (which I already am). I'm hopeful that other apps will be able to switch it on once they've integrated the new pencil kit API...

It is working for me marking up PDFs attached in the Notes app. But not using PDF Expert.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Mine is still saying functionality will download when connected to WiFi, even though I’m on WiFi…

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Are you in the US? This feature is working for me.

Yes, I rebooted my iPad and now it works, however it makes my handwriting objectively worse lol maybe it’s my bad handwriting, it converts my handwriting from arthritic chimp to trainee doctor.

• Haha
Reactions: gwhizkids

not_anton

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
I got this "feature" and it's horrible - fills the note with mis-understood suggestions, the replacement word looks nothing like the one you wrote (they can't even match the line style for some reason). And there is no way to disable it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I got this "feature" and it's horrible - fills the note with mis-understood suggestions, the replacement word looks nothing like the one you wrote (they can't even match the line style for some reason). And there is no way to disable it.
You can turn off in the settings and you can have off by default and highlight to apply the feature. I am finding it is learning my style and improving over time.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
You can turn off in the settings and you can have off by default and highlight to apply the feature. I am finding it is learning my style and improving over time.

I don't want it to learn my style lol

Replace my scrawl with something that looks like legible handwriting, surely thats easier than analyzing my handwriting?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
@musicpenguy Where exactly in the settings? I found a toggle for “auto-refine handwriting”, but it does not affect the highlighted suggestions.
Oh gotcha - yea I thought you were referring to a setting for auto refine versus the blue line thing - would be nice to have that turned off too - maybe they’ll add that during the beta cycle

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I don't want it to learn my style lol

Replace my scrawl with something that looks like legible handwriting, surely that's easier than analyzing my handwriting?
No actually. Craig F elaborated on what it takes to bring the benefits of typing to handwriting during his Daring Fireball interview.

Start at 55:43 if you're interested:

Reactions: Jimbo Asprilla
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.