Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple subsidiary Claris today announced the release of FileMaker version 19.3 with several new features, including native support for Apple silicon, resulting in improved performance on Macs with the M1 chip.

notability-m1-mac.jpeg

An overview of new features from the announcement:
• Apple silicon: Claris FileMaker Pro and Claris FileMaker Server are the first low-code universal macOS binaries that ensure optimized performance on Apple silicon computers while still offering amazing speed on Intel-based Mac computers.
• Microsoft Edge for Windows: The latest Microsoft Edge WebView2 control replaces Internet Explorer 11 (IE11), which eliminates potential security concerns and ensures full FileMaker extensibility on Windows.
• Significant server enhancements: Introducing Ubuntu, the most popular Linux distribution worldwide; the return of an enhanced log viewer; and many more server fixes and under-the-hood functionality that boost performance, flexibility, stability, and security.
Popular note-taking app Notability was also updated today with native support for Apple silicon, resulting in up to 50% faster performance when running the app on an M1 Mac compared to an Intel-based Mac. Notability enables users to create hand-written digital notes with audio, which is handy for lectures and more.

Current users of Notability on the iPad can download the Mac version for free on the Mac App Store. New users can purchase Notability for $8.99, and use Notability across their Mac, iPad, and iPhone with a single purchase.

Article Link: Notability and FileMaker Updated With Native Support for M1 Macs

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I don't get those articles about the updates. For the developer it means he compiles the app with the newest Xcode, it takes about 3-5 minutes and that's it. It should work. What's the fuss about? There is no super effort involved, or is there?
While that may be true for an iPhone app developed in the last couple of years, it is not necessarily true for Apps that have 10+ year old code optimized using assembly language to run on the then modern Duo or Core Duo processors.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

oceanwest

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
Claris Inc. changed it's name to FileMaker Inc. back in the 1998. And rebranded its name to Claris International Inc in August 2019. All along they have been a subsidiary of Apple since 87. As a platform they have the flagship product FileMaker Pro, Claris Connect ( acquired Stamplay), and Claris FileMaker Cloud (hosting), in addition to mobile offering FileMakerGo for iOS. We welcome the addition of modern toolsets including JSON, JavaScript, a restful APIs. There is a thriving community of worldwide developers continue to welcome fresh minds and business challenges in our collective connected modern digital world.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Apple bought them decades ago. Interesting the Claris part of the name was stripped from FileMaker a loonngggg time ago. Not sure why they're adding it back, it has no value to the consumer.

Apple never bought Claris. (They did, however, buy some of the individual apps that make up Claris.)

Claris was always a subsidiary of Apple, originally to separate retail software from Apple’s hardware line-up, with the option to spin them off (which never happened). Then they moved some software like Mac OS back to the parent company, renamed themselves FileMaker Inc. Then they renamed themselves back to Claris.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
I don't get those articles about the updates. For the developer it means he compiles the app with the newest Xcode, it takes about 3-5 minutes and that's it. It should work. What's the fuss about? There is no super effort involved, or is there?

It took Adobe six months to release native M1 Lightroom Classic. And I imagine Adobe had early access to M1-based Macs, making the time longer.

I suspect it's more than a 5 minute recompile.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
I've used Notability on my iPad for years (great app). But while your story says, "Current users of Notability on the iPad can download the Mac version for free on the Mac App Store," when I go into the Mac App Store it says the app is $8.99 and includes this nugget at the end of the description, "Mac app sold separately." Am I missing something. I may very well be, but I'd appreciate any clarification. Thanks.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Apple never bought Claris. (They did, however, buy some of the individual apps that make up Claris.)

Claris was always a subsidiary of Apple, originally to separate retail software from Apple’s hardware line-up, with the option to spin them off (which never happened). Then they moved some software like Mac OS back to the parent company, renamed themselves FileMaker Inc. Then they renamed themselves back to Claris.
Ahhhhh. . . . Fondly remembering the days of ClarisWorks.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I've used Notability on my iPad for years (great app). But while your story says, "Current users of Notability on the iPad can download the Mac version for free on the Mac App Store," when I go into the Mac App Store it says the app is $8.99 and includes this nugget at the end of the description, "Mac app sold separately." Am I missing something. I may very well be, but I'd appreciate any clarification. Thanks.
I've been using Notability on my iPad and could install it on a Mac for free.

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Another ‘Apple’ product ruined by Tim’s obsession with subscriptions.
What's with you people incorrecly slamming products you don't even use. it's an excellent product that's easy to use, extremely powerful and regularly updated. Although they have subscription for those that prefer it, they also offer perpetual licenses. I hate subscription more than anything but I have no problem with giving people the choice, which Claris does. So in your short sentence, "ruined" and "obsession with subscription" both are false.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
It’s an App Store issue that’s persisted ever since the Mac version of Notability became a Catalyst app.

If you click to buy it will eventually tell you the upgrade is free as you had the previous version, or the iOS app in your case, and you won’t be charged.

Edit: I now realise that I had the Mac version of notability before, so it may still be a separate charge for the Mac version. There was an issue with upgrading that one to the universal Catalyst app when that one was released couple of months back where it said it would charge, but did not.

Last edited:

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
There could be. Apps will often rely on and include third-party libraries and other bits of software, some of which may not have been compiled for M1 yet — so the developers have to wait until these are available. If I recall correctly this was actually one of the reasons given by Ginger Labs.

Boris Bronson

macrumors regular
What's with you people incorrecly slamming products you don't even use. it's an excellent product that's easy to use, extremely powerful and regularly updated. Although they have subscription for those that prefer it, they also offer perpetual licenses. I hate subscription more than anything but I have no problem with giving people the choice, which Claris does. So in your short sentence, "ruined" and "obsession with subscription" both are false.
I’ve developed and shipped FM runtimes for over 20 years but thanks for your input.

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
I’ve developed and shipped FM runtimes for over 20 years but thanks for your input.
So let me get this straight. Because you've used it for development for 20 years, that gives you the right to spread misinformation. Because of your vast experience, can you please tell everyone when Filemaker became subscription only and therefor "ruined". Our company is currently on V18 because we were waiting for them to release an upgrade with M1 support. Now that its out, I called them today and guess what, We will be upgrading with perpetual licenses. So you're welcome for my input to fix up your misleading comments.

superapplestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017

Apple subsidiary Claris today announced the release of FileMaker version 19.3 with several new features, including native support for Apple silicon, resulting in improved performance on Macs with the M1 chip.

notability-m1-mac.jpeg

An overview of new features from the announcement:popular note-taking app Notability was also updated today with native support for Apple silicon, resulting in up to 50% faster performance when running the app on an M1 Mac compared to an Intel-based Mac. Notability enables users to create hand-written digital notes with audio, which is handy for lectures and more.

Current users of Notability on the iPad can download the Mac version for free on the Mac App Store. New users can purchase Notability for $8.99, and use Notability across their Mac, iPad, and iPhone with a single purchase.

Article Link: Notability and FileMaker Updated With Native Support for M1 Macs
Nice blooming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.