Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exeterwayne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
I’ve notice with iOS 18 that the classic widgets are no longer working. I found this to be very useful especially the Google Maps Public Transport Times widget. Now I have to actually unlock my phone and load the Maps app to check my bus times. 😢😢

Edit (Pic of missing widgets)
IMG_0758.png

Last edited:

Cookie285

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Yep, noticed this as well, the section is completely removed from home and lock screen. I still have been using the iConnectHue Widget for ages since they only recently started with the native ones. It was time but still bummer :(

Reactions: Amstrman

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Yep, noticed this as well, the section is completely removed from home and lock screen. I still have been using the iConnectHue Widget for ages since they only recently started with the native ones. It was time but still bummer :(

That's exactly the same classic widget I used too. I replaced it with the home widget and selected a few selections.
44299d7f33d556a08dd75bab4fbd0ed2.jpg

ReliableSource

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2011
I was dreading the day it happened. Launcher worked great from the today view, but now their widgets have to jump you into the Launcher app before it can complete whatever the shortcut was, and I hate it.

RIP today view widgets

Reactions: redbeard331

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Lost the Logitech Harmony widget. A nice interactive widget, that was.

As Logitech have discontinued their remote controls, there'll never be an updated widget (or app, for that matter). Pity.

Edit: You will be missed:

IMG_0022.jpeg

Last edited:

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Lost the Logitech Harmony widget. A nice interactive widget, that was.

As Logitech have discontinued their remote controls, there'll never be an updated widget (or app, for that matter). Pity.

Edit: You will be missed:

View attachment 2388688
A possible alternative is to run https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-harmony in HomeBridge, which effectively emulates Harmony as a HomeKit compatible TV. You can then use shortcuts / Home widgets to achieve similar. Only downside is that you need an always-on device to run Homebridge on.

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
A possible alternative is to run https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-harmony in HomeBridge, which effectively emulates Harmony as a HomeKit compatible TV. You can then use shortcuts / Home widgets to achieve similar. Only downside is that you need an always-on device to run Homebridge on.
I don't have homebridge, although as I have no Apple home hub either it may not solve this particular issue.

For (money grabbing?) reasons, Apple's Home widgets don't work without a home hub.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Was really a fan of ETA's old style widgets and not at all a fan of their new style. I wonder how many other apps I'll stop using because of iOS changes?

Reactions: adrianlondon

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just notice it when I want to check my real time internet speed. So few apps show this and Vidget was one of my absolute favourites. Recently switched to Traffic monitor but they have no support for new style either.

Now that iOS 18 formally discontinues old widgets, I don’t know…time to develop my own? And these feature removals to me is far more important than new features added: what’s gone and what’s the impact. YET, no mainstream tech media ever bother, ever. Nor do all tech YouTubers I know of.

Strokee23

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
This really hurts for a lot of widgets, particularly sports widgets. The legacy widgets allowed for near-real-time score updates. Most "new" sports widgets either only show news, or show an individual score which updates periodically (every 5-15 minutes). You have to stack multiple widgets for all of your teams/sports. ESPN doesn't even have a new widget, it only has the legacy widget. The widget allows you to choose your favorite teams from multiple sports, which you can expand to show. IMHO, the legacy widgets look better, too.

Why not give consumers and developers the option to choose a new widget, legacy widget or both? Why is Apple so hell bent on reducing choice/options and shoving "their way" down peoples' throats?

Frustrating.

Allwordzaremadeup

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2022
This really hurts for a lot of widgets, particularly sports widgets. The legacy widgets allowed for near-real-time score updates. Most "new" sports widgets either only show news, or show an individual score which updates periodically (every 5-15 minutes). You have to stack multiple widgets for all of your teams/sports. ESPN doesn't even have a new widget, it only has the legacy widget. The widget allows you to choose your favorite teams from multiple sports, which you can expand to show. IMHO, the legacy widgets look better, too.

Why not give consumers and developers the option to choose a new widget, legacy widget or both? Why is Apple so hell bent on reducing choice/options and shoving "their way" down peoples' throats?

Frustrating.
I never understood why ESPN never updated their widget.

Reactions: redbeard331

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Frustrating.
They probably want Live Activities to be used for sports scores.

Reactions: MinEderPlayz

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
There are signs that Tapatalk has had problems under iOS 18, which is apparently a problem with Tapatalk, not with iOS 18 or the MacRumors forum software.

You can post here if you know more about the problem, workarounds, or solutions.

I never understood why ESPN never updated their widget.

They probably want Live Activities to be used for sports scores.
It‘s never as simple as it seems. Although there may be some competitive things in play with Apple on this, it’s equally likely that they just don’t want to keep expending resources to maintain the ecosystem for the legacy widgets. In Apple’s mind, I think, SwiftUI is the wave of the future and how they want to proceed. It takes time, money and engineering resources to keep up legacy systems.

Plus, the legacy widgets “Today” screen is valuable real estate and Apple may have something else in mind to occupy that space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.