Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Sometimes I use Compressor to burn a DVD or Blu-ray of a film I have made but I can no longer seem to do this with compressor 4.8

Did Apple really take away this feature or am I missing something here?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm... there's nothing in the release notes about it, but it wouldn't be the first time that Apple had silently removed a feature. I don't have a drive in my Mac so I can't test it myself.

Edit: It looks like there "should" be an option to create a DVD image even on a machine without a DVD-R drive. I might give it a go later.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, I've taken a look, and you're right. The DVD/Blu-ray features are present in 4.7 but have disappeared in 4.8 despite nothing in the release notes. I suggest logging a bug.

thepyrate

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Australia
Sometimes I use Compressor to burn a DVD or Blu-ray of a film I have made but I can no longer seem to do this with compressor 4.8

Did Apple really take away this feature or am I missing something here?
DVD and Blu-Ray burning functionality was removed from Final Cut Pro and Compressor in the latest update

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Arh, thanks guys for confirming. This is sad for me because I use to give DVDs and Blu-rays of family events to my grandparents who didn't know how to use YouTube or a smartphone. I have a Blu-ray burner set up next to my mac mini but I guess I'll just use it for ripping CDs now.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I know about Roxio Toast. Been around for years. I just thought Compressor was so easy to use, but thanks for your suggestion anyway. I might give it a go.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, are there any new features in 4.8 that you're actually interested in? If I was in your situation then I'd just continue to use 4.7.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I already updated to 4.8 without knowing it wouldn't support it so it's too late now. However, I will keep 4.7 on my MacBook Air and just plug my burner into it in case I need to burn something. I don't think it's possible to rollback an App after updating.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Assuming they're both the same "purchase" under the same Apple ID then you can just copy the app from one computer to the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.