Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
So, this is just the menu item from Settings, pulled out into its own app, pulling the Wifi passwords into it, etc too? Cool, but did it need to be a dedicated app, instead of just improving the menu?

Maybe I'm missing something there?

Reactions: TwoBytes

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
In order to beat 1Password, you have to be 1Password.

You've definitely missed something - a big increase in ease-of-access, making it a much more viable alternative to 1Password and others (including their subscriptions!). I'm personally looking forward to the possibility of ditching 1Password if this native Passwords app turns out to be fleshed-out enough.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
Fair enough, I just thought the menu item was decent, but could do with improving, not end of the world, moving it into it's own app.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I will gladly take this separate app anyway. I am opening the passwords section frequently enough that it is annoying not to have a separate app for this. However, I would like to have custom data fields to store different kinds of data, but it doesn't look as though this has been added.

morganperry

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Biggest thing keeping me with 1Password for the time being is the ability to set a different password to access the app — this really is just a rehash of the in-Settings password lists.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a 'shared groups' section, where you can share passwords/passkeys with family.

No 'Export' option.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
My biggest annoyance with passwords in settings is work related. Maybe once or twice a week I have to re authenticate my exchange account, you do this in settings. For some reason the autofill doesn't work in settings. So I have to jump between signing into my account and the passwords section and input my 2FA code before the 30s timer runs out.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Does the app let you have secure notes as well? I didn’t see that listed on the Apple slide. I know you’d a password lock notes in the Note.app but there are some secure documents and related notes that I like to keep in 1Password.

Reactions: Martinpa

mblm85

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Yorkshire, UK
I'm very pleased they've done this. For elderly relatives, the Settings app is to be feared as that's where they can accidentally break things. Moving it to an app will make it more likely they'll get into better password habits. Ultimately though, I hope that Passkeys start to take off in the coming year.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
Does the app let you have secure notes as well? I didn’t see that listed on the Apple slide. I know you’d a password lock notes in the Note.app but there are some secure documents and related notes that I like to keep in 1Password.
password app is purely for passwords.

You can lock the whole notes app (instead of just individual ones), or the whole files app, if you want either. I suspect Apple won't cull those apps to put into the Passwords app.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Looooooong time 1Pw user. In fact it was the first app on my phone when we first got apps on the phone.
That said, and nothing against 1Pw, and even though I am a heavy and advanced user of it, I am very interested in moving myself and the family over to Apple Passwords from 1Pw.

Those who have installed iOS18, can you give some details on the app???? PLS!
I see that there is no Notes feature…ok.

Is there a feature for 2FA?
Is there a space for some minimal notes ASSOCIATED with a password entry?
Looking quickly at the current Settings Passwords options, looks like both of those exist.

Most importantly, can I import my 1Pw into Apple Passwords?
What other features / options are you guys seeing. Would really appreciate someone taking 3 minutes and writing up about the Passwords app.

Thanks in advance.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
So, this is just the menu item from Settings, pulled out into its own app, pulling the Wifi passwords into it, etc too? Cool, but did it need to be a dedicated app, instead of just improving the menu?

Maybe I'm missing something there?
Yes, you are missing something. If you have used another top-tier password manager such as 1Password, having this separate app to manage it all and then the tight integration into to Safari is key. This may cause serious damage to the stand-alone PW manager's businesses for Apple users. "Why should I pay a subscription to 1Password when something almost the same is included with my Mac and iPhone?". This now puts it on par with them. The only things I see missing are:
  • a separate section / category for credit cards/banking info stored (yes, it's in Wallet...but I want to store ones I do not use with Apple Pay as well)
  • a place to store other items securely (ex. driver's license, other licenses, security related notes I do not want in the Notes app)
  • Ability to create alias ID's and passwords from within the Password app. Yes, Apple sort of does this within Safari but having it all in one location to view and manage is also key
I'm willing to bet this will all be coming in the future.

Reactions: lsquare

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Looooooong time 1Pw user. In fact it was the first app on my phone when we first got apps on the phone.
That said, and nothing against 1Pw, and even though I am a heavy and advanced user of it, I am very interested in moving myself and the family over to Apple Passwords from 1Pw.

Those who have installed iOS18, can you give some details on the app???? PLS!
I see that there is no Notes feature…ok.

Is there a feature for 2FA?
Is there a space for some minimal notes ASSOCIATED with a password entry?
Looking quickly at the current Settings Passwords options, looks like both of those exist.

Most importantly, can I import my 1Pw into Apple Passwords?
What other features / options are you guys seeing. Would really appreciate someone taking 3 minutes and writing up about the Passwords app.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Password app can import from others. I recently moved from 1Password to Proton Pass...and both can import just fine from what I see. It stores Passkeys, but I'm not sure about 2FA outside of that. You can also create a new password with the "+".

I would REALLY LOVE for Apple to integrate a true 2FA authenticator app into the Password app.

UPDATE: I just imported a .csv file from Proton Pass into Apple Passwords. It worked pretty well, but "695 of 757 passwords were successfully imported. 62 passwords couldn’t be imported." I am looking at those 62....I'm not sure what the conflict was. It says it imported 695 successfully, but in the app I see 496. When I moved from 1Password to Proton Pass, I had gone through and removed old ones, updated a lot and it was a pretty clean and up to date list. Hmmm....I'll share more as I discover more.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Looking at ios17 Passwords in Settings, seems like it supports “verification code” which I understand to be 2FA…no?

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
Very interesting. Compared to 1Password, it will probably be a downgrade as far as the app is concerned. But the integration and the fact that it’s free will probably make up for it. So I suspect I’ll switch.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Very interesting. Compared to 1Password, it will probably be a downgrade as far as the app is concerned. But the integration and the fact that it’s free will probably make up for it. So I suspect I’ll switch.
Yes, that's why I switched to Proton Pass from 1Password as it was included in my suite from the of Mail hosting (more custom domain options than Mac), drive, VPN, encrypted calendar, etc. The ability to drop the 1Pw subscription was nice and I've used it for at least 5-6 years or more. I think a lot of users may do this AND it will get people who haven't been using a PW manager to do so!

For now, I can run them both (Apple Password & Proton Pass) and decide later. Proton will still be my #1 and I can just delete and import to Apple to test it out....since I'm not paying extra for either and then go with the one I like the best down the road :)

Reactions: lsquare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.