Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
Have i understood it right? My new mails will be sorted automatically in some categories? And if I e.g. get 5 Mails from 5 categories, I have to open all 5 categories to see them? That would be a nightmare.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
No one knows yet how it‘ll function in the end as the feature itself is not coming out until later this year / Apple Intelligence preview starts rolling out. It‘s probably opt-in and you can potentially see an unfiltered list of mails.

Reactions: tomtattoo

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
must not be familiar with gmail.
I am. Besides the fact that all webmail is abhorrent to humanity. But I’ve tried their categories and stars. What a convoluted mess is Gmail? I like to keep my mail inline.

I certainly think it’s great they added this feature to people who like it for some reason. I’m sure it’s powerful if it’s a thing you like. But to me it’s as useless and using the colored “labels” that have existed in MacOS for a long time. Always there. Never useful. But hide-able in the UI

I’m hoping mail categories will be the same. Useful to those who like it. But hide-able from the UI for those of us who don’t want a 30 something Apple engineer who loves Gmail- to impose some new paradigm on us that we don’t want. By “we” I mean me and those who would agree with me. It happens.

Hopefully it won’t be like Contact Posters. You kinda can turn them off but all the UI is changed to make it obvious they want you to use it as the new way, but it’s really garbage and you want to ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.