Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is working to extend its nascent video game platform to TVs and part of the plan involves allowing subscribers to use their iPhone as a controller, reports Bloomberg.

netflix-games-launch.jpg

According to the report, app developer Steve Moser shared code he discovered hidden within Netflix's iOS mobile app that contains references to games played on TVs, including one line which reads "A game on your TV needs a controller to play. Do you want to use this phone as a game controller?"

Netflix launched its gaming platform on iPhones, iPads, and Android devices in November 2021. Games are released as individual apps on the iOS App Store, while the full catalog of games is maintained in the Netflix app. Many of the titles are tie-ins to popular TV shows, such as "Stranger Things 3: The Game."

Similar to the way Apple Arcade operates, there are no ads, additional fees or in-app purchases included in the games, with the idea being that customers remain engaged with the streaming service while they are waiting for new installments of TV shows and series hosted by the platform.

As Bloomberg's Mark Gurman notes, expanding gaming to TVs would be a major extension of the service, as Netflix is now built into many smart TVs and is available on several platforms, including Apple TV.

Ultimately, Netflix plans to launch a cloud gaming service that could let users stream games without installing them locally. Such a plan would enable the company to offer many more titles than it does currently, potentially providing competition to existing cloud gaming services offered by the likes of Microsoft, and may even rival non-cloud-based platforms such as Apple Arcade.

Article Link: Netflix's TV Gaming Plan Allows iPhone to Be Used as Controller

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
I've tried in the past to airplay games from my iPhone to my Apple TV. It seemed like a good an idea, but the lack o physical buttons meant that I had to look down at the phone almost continually to be able to play. In the end I gave up and just used the phone as a screen.

Verified Whiskey

Suspended
Mar 27, 2023
Oh yeah, I forgot this existed! That being said, a touchscreen as a controller? That is not going to do well. There’s no tactile feedback. How will you know what you’re tapping on if you’re looking at a different screen?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I've tried in the past to airplay games from my iPhone to my Apple TV. It seemed like a good an idea, but the lack o physical buttons meant that I had to look down at the phone almost continually to be able to play. In the end I gave up and just used the phone as a screen.

This is kind of Apple’s problem with gaming, and I’m not sure why Netflix really wanted to do this because they have a similar problem. Microsoft had the same problem with Windows (not with gaming.)

When a company already has an established highly successful product and culture, everything has to be shoehorned to fit within that. Apple considers themselves a successful gaming company because they make a ton of money by taking a cut of mobile games. They have Apple TV, AirPlay, an iPhone, and tons of mobile games, so that’s their plan.

With all the potential of the M1 I’m afraid Apple is still not going to do what it takes to get the vast majority of the popular PC games on the Mac, because they just don’t look at it from a gaming experience mindset. PC game developers are going to do it with what Apple has or Apple doesn’t care if they do it or not.

Having said that, they do seem to have done a good job of supporting all the good controllers. I just hope they have the mindset change inside the company to keep the good part of gaming alive. I think people agree there is a difference between the vast majority of mobile games which are mostly just exploitative slot machines, vs good PC games.

wbeasley

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2007
how many people actually play these games?
not heard anyone go "have you played this Netflix game?". no one.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
how many people actually play these games?
not heard anyone go "have you played this Netflix game?". no one.
I've played the Stranger Things games from Netflix. They're like an old school NES/SNES adventure game and both are pretty fun. I haven't tried any of the other games yet. I also play Apple Arcade games.

Basically, I will try anything as long as there are no in-app purchases or ads.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Even Apple knows the iPhone is a bad controller. That's why they use Xbox, PS, and Switch controllers, among others.

This just proves once again that Netflix has bad leadership making bad decisions and they will continue to decline.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
Even Apple knows the iPhone is a bad controller. That's why they use Xbox, PS, and Switch controllers, among others.

This just proves once again that Netflix has bad leadership making bad decisions and they will continue to decline.
But apple will want an 30% and for each game to be it's own app

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
That's a fun and innovative idea! Apple should've made this part of AppleTV a long time ago

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021

That's really not a reasonable point. Especially when so many games on the iPhone are successful. I think it would be bad if they tried to make it control games like Mario or something but the idea is solid

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

That's really not a reasonable point. Especially when so many games on the iPhone are successful. I think it would be bad if they tried to make it control games like Mario or something but the idea is solid
Currently there are 56 games Netflix games out of which 8 games have actual controller* support:
- Highwater
- Asphalt Xtreme
- Dust & Neon
- Shatter Remastered
- TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
- Relic Hunters: Rebels
- NETFLIX Moonlighter
- Stranger Things 3 The Game

* Backbone One (works great) and I also tried it with my Xbox controllers and should also work with quite some Playstation controllers.

Netflix also recently announced to have 90 games in 2023.

I really like this game option in addition to our Netflix subscription to play games without ads, in-app purchases and I also play some games with my kids as well. There are a few good premium games in there and also quite some casual games (Mahjong Solitaire Netflix, Puzzle Gods, Wild Things Animal Adventures, Country Friends - a bit like Farm Frenzy).

I do hope more existing and new games with support (MFi) controllers. It would also be nice if the kids account could also get access to (some) kids friendly games since currently you can only play the games with adult accounts and since my wife and I have a pincode set on those the kids can't play any games on their iPads.

Last edited:

rez07

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
If this means we will finally have Netflix making games available for Apple TV, I´m all for it. There are some really good ones currently only available for iPhone and iPad

FireSpade

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
Just no… A touchscreen controller lacks tactile feedback, which is fine if you are looking at the screen you are touching, but if you are looking at the TV screen, how will you know where the buttons on your iPhone screen are?! Terrible idea…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.