Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix will no longer support second-generation and third-generation Apple TV models from July 31, 2024, the company has announced in an email to some subscribers.

apple-tv-2nd-gen-2010.jpg

Netflix said that the decision made to "maintain the best possible Netflix experience" by focusing on devices that can support the latest features and updates.

The second-generation Apple TV was the first of its kind to feature a black body and an aluminum Apple Remote, an updated look compared to the silver and white Apple TV that was originally released in 2007. The unit was powered by an A4 chip, and offered up to 720p resolution output.

Apple sold the second-generation Apple TV from 2010 until 2012, which is when the company released the third-generation Apple TV with an A5 chip and support for 1080p content.

Both models run on an early variant of iOS that precedes tvOS and lacks an App Store. The devices are classed as obsolete by Apple and no longer receive updates.

Netflix will remain available to access on the Apple TV HD (originally the fourth-generation model) and all Apple TV 4K models.

After the July 31 date, Netflix recommends that to continue viewing content, affected users either upgrade to a newer Apple TV model, or use other compatible devices such as smart TVs or Roku devices.

Article Link: Netflix to End Support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Apple TV

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
After the July 31 date, Netflix recommends that to continue viewing content, affected users either upgrade to a newer Apple TV model, or use other compatible devices such as smart TVs or Roku devices.
It’s tempting to buy new Apple TV, but…..

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Despite what Gurman says, new models are still coming soon this year, but it’ll be again a minor update with updated A series chip most likely. (Instead of having the M series chip like originally planned)

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Despite what Gurman says, new models are still coming soon this year, but it’ll be again a minor update with updated A series chip most likely. (Instead of having the M series chip like originally planned)
Unless you’re a regular consumer and just want an Apple TV. Most people don’t care. Lol

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Funny, arguably the best gui netflix ever had
The current implementation was one major reason to cancel. It is absolutely crap and you cant find ****. You have to scroll 5 minutes to find your continue watching tab. Idiotic
I find all streaming services UI suck. They and their algorithms bite the big one.

None of their crap gets me to watch anything I wouldn't otherwise watch. All they do is make it more difficult to use their services as I wish too. It is like "I pay you every month so stop screwing with me."

Last edited:

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Apple TV is already more powerful than most streaming devices. If someone needs one now there is little to wait for.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Why not? I have the first generation Apple TV 4K and I don't have any complaints. The current generation will be faster and the next one even faster. The only reason to wait for the next one is the expectation the next generation will be cheaper (I wouldn't bet on it though).

In our bedroom we also have one of those old 3rd generation Apple TVs. It's never used unless we don't feel like getting up for whatever reason, which happens maybe once a year. Guess I'll follow your advice, I won't buy but wait for the next generation and then move the 1st gen. 4K to the bedroom.

If one does have that old one as their single Apple TV, then just buy the current one. You cannot go wrong with it. And that sucking Netflix GUI? It sucks as much as the Prime, HBO, Disney, NL-Ziet and Videoland apps. The Apple TV app on your Apple TV is the worst one IMO.

Reactions: Chazak

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Is there a UI you like? I ask because from I sit, they all stink.
Of the ones I've tried, Netflix and Disney+ are possibly better than Amazon Prime and Apple TV because they only show you stuff that is actually included in your subscription, whereas Prime and ATV are continually trying to sell you stuff (and their names are confusingly mixed up with rental/sales services).

That's very faint praise, though - they're all designed with contempt for the user, and to push whatever their precious algorithms want to promote rather than - heaven forfend - just let you browse the catalogue.... and, yeah, Netflix in particular seem confused about what a "home" button is supposed to do.

There's a word for this coined by Cory Doctorow, but this is a polite site so let's just say "entrashification".

Meanwhile, the 2nd Gen ATV has probably been given a better run of support than the "smart" features in most "smart" TVs.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Considering the 3rd Generation Apple TV uses a single core A5 CPU from 2012 I'm really shocked it's not been dropped long before now. I have a 4th generation just to run an ancient tiny TV and the Homescreen UI alone on that is horribly slow and that version has more processing power.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

and what exactly is this magnificent machine supposed to do that the current ones do not?

BUY NOW if you want a great steaming box.

That aside... come on NETFLIX why not support the AppleTV up next integration like literally every other streaming service with an app on the platform.

Its a major gripe of mine that I have 2 'watchlists' on the device when it call all be in the one.

ricketysquire

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
What is the point of all of this? Why can't they just maintain a basic "light" interface for Netflix for older devices? For all the "greenwashing" that these companies do, you'd think they'd maintain support for old devices, especially since their revenue comes from subscriptions and not hardware sales.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
You can get amazing deals on a M1 Max Studio today, and sell it for probably $200-300 less than you paid, when you upgrade in 2025.

Unless you’re a regular consumer and just want an Apple TV. Most people don’t care. Lol

Apple TV is already more powerful than most streaming devices. If someone needs one now there is little to wait for.

Why not? I have the first generation Apple TV 4K and I don't have any complaints. The current generation will be faster and the next one even faster. The only reason to wait for the next one is the expectation the next generation will be cheaper (I wouldn't bet on it though).

In our bedroom we also have one of those old 3rd generation Apple TVs. It's never used unless we don't feel like getting up for whatever reason, which happens maybe once a year. Guess I'll follow your advice, I won't buy but wait for the next generation and then move the 1st gen. 4K to the bedroom.

If one does have that old one as their single Apple TV, then just buy the current one. You cannot go wrong with it. And that sucking Netflix GUI? It sucks as much as the Prime, HBO, Disney, NL-Ziet and Videoland apps. The Apple TV app on your Apple TV is the worst one IMO.

and what exactly is this magnificent machine supposed to do that the current ones do not?

BUY NOW if you want a great steaming box.

That aside... come on NETFLIX why not support the AppleTV up next integration like literally every other streaming service with an app on the platform.

Its a major gripe of mine that I have 2 'watchlists' on the device when it call all be in the one.
Apple has plans to put the new AI feature on Apple TV as well. The new AI feature will only likely work with newest Apple TV the company will release next, due to on device AI requiring higher memory power.

Because of this, any of current Apple TV sold will likely NOT support the on device AI.

And yes, the new AI feature is what will make HomeKit shine and make Apple TV the ultimate home hub.

• Haha
Reactions: lhammer610
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.