Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is testing a redesigned version of its TV app, reports The Verge, marking the first major overhaul to the app in the last decade. The new design is a notable departure from the current look, but it is more modern and puts more information about content front and center.

netflix-app-update.jpg

Customers were reportedly performing "eye gymnastics" looking around to different parts of the home screen in an attempt to find a show or movie to watch, so Netflix wanted to simplify the navigation experience. "We really wanted members to have an easier time figuring out if a title is right for them," Netflix senior director of product Pat Flemming told The Verge.

The static tiles for TV shows and movies are being replaced with tiles that extend when the remote lands on them, making information like the trailer and description more centralized. Right now, when scrolling through content, show or movie information is displayed at the top of the screen. With the updated interface, that information is shown in the middle of the display, and tiles for other shows are pushed to the side.

Hovering over a TV show or movie for an extended period of time will cause a short preview to automatically start playing.

Netflix plans to replace the left side navigation menu with a top bar menu that features search, home, shows, movies, and My Netflix, with the menu accessible by pressing the back button on the remote. The current Categories and New and Popular tabs will be removed, but New and Popular will be replaced with the My Netflix recommendations, and Categories will be available from the search tab.

The new design is being tested with a small group of subscribers to begin with, but it will be expanded to additional Netflix users in the coming months if it proves to be a popular change.

Article Link: Netflix Testing Major Apple TV App Redesign

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
In a browser, whenever I hover over anything, the place blows up into a bigger thing, so that whatever I was trying to click, now switched to somewhere else, and I ended up clicking on the wrong thing. Then, on a show's page, when I scroll down to related shows, I cannot see any descriptions, and I cannot go to the pages for those shows, but I can only start playing them. WTF

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Meanwhile, they still refuse to use Apple's native player or integrate with Apple's ecosystem. All to "control the user experience", you understand, as if an Apple user expects and wants the same experience as they'd get on a Roku. Plus their player isn't as nice to use or as reliable.

While they're at it, how about ordering watch lists and search results? As it is now your watch list and search results appear to get a random order rather than something useful like alphabetical order.

hoodlum90

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2020
I wonder if this new APP will only be available on the newer gen 4K boxes. Then eventually they will stop supporting the APP on the older 4K boxes.

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Apple ditches the top bar navigation and moves to the netflix style side menu. Netflix sidesteps this clear attempt at creating a somewhat standard UI logic in streaming apps and adopts the exact thing Apple just abandoned.

Clever move, Apple is not going to walk back a UI they just released so there will be no standard UI. Netflix clearly wins this round… not sure it makes any sense, but well played!

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Huh. I came here expecting some dystopian, engagement-optimized mess that hides the shows you’re looking for in favor of whatever Netflix’s algorithm thinks you want to watch. And while that may well still be the reality, this actually looks like it could be an improvement. Separating shows, movies, and My Netflix is at least a decent idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.