Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonathanParker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
My theory was wrong: I thought Apple would make it possible for EU users to access Apple Intelligence and iPhone Mirroring by simply changing their region to the US, which would as a result disable sideloading for those EU iPhones which changed regions to the US.

I thought it would go viral on TikTok & Twitter: “HOW TO ACCESS APPLE INTELLIGENCE IN EU” and they would make millions of people change their regions to the US, and the EU could do nothing about it. They couldn’t undermine the free will of their citizens changing their device regions to somewhere else.

The latest iOS 18 Beta 2 actually contradicts my theory: the iPhone Mirroring feature is heavily geolocked and inaccessible within the EU.

JonathanParker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Yea, I thought it would work the same as hit alternate app stores for the EU works
EU functionality is not tied to your phones region setting, so this was never really an option
Interesting, if one of you are in the EU, does changing your region to the US disable sideloading? I’m aware US users can’t change their region to Europe to get sideloading, but Europe users changing their region to US may disable sideloading?

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
It’s tied to the region of your Apple ID. Which is much tougher to deal with if you have Apple Music, TV+, or payment methods stored specific to your country.

As much as I would love to see people say f*ck it and change their Apple ID region out of rebellion, it’s not worth it.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Interesting, if one of you are in the EU, does changing your region to the US disable sideloading? I’m aware US users can’t change their region to Europe to get sideloading, but Europe users changing their region to US may disable sideloading?
Not in EU and even if I was, I'm not messing with the region on my account, sorry.

Edit, from what I read in forums, the EU checks that Apple does for the side loading, etc (which makes sense is being used for Apple Intelltigence, etc) is:
  1. Apple ID billing address
  2. The user’s current location (apparently Apple is only checking the country and not a precise -location for privacy reasons)
  3. The current region set in iOS settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.