Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCookieMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
trying to get onboard with only have iCloud as the back up for Photo's.

At moment I have iCloud storage but also store all things locally and backup to a local (external) drive.

Is there an alternative when only using an iPad or is it just to rely on iCloud as the only backup?

Think this is the only thing I need to come to terms with before making the move, but in the same thought would also likely drive the spec that I go for.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: bondr006

MrCookieMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Ok, so I can still have a local copy and backup external! I wasn't aware that could be done.

That takes away my only blocker I think.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
I don't understand, Apple's User Guide says you can select which photos you want export. Why do you say we need to copy everything each time?
You can select photos that you want to export, but you would need to keep track of which photos had already been transferred. Photos that have been deleted from the iPad would also need to manually removed from the iPad if you want the libraries to be in sync.

Time Machine handles this on macOS.

Doing a full copy each time is simpler if you want the photo library on the external drive to be exactly the same as the one on the iPad.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
trying to get onboard with only have iCloud as the back up for Photo's.

At moment I have iCloud storage but also store all things locally and backup to a local (external) drive.

Is there an alternative when only using an iPad or is it just to rely on iCloud as the only backup?

Think this is the only thing I need to come to terms with before making the move, but in the same thought would also likely drive the spec that I go for.

Any thoughts?
This seems to be a good alternative to Time Machine for the iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple_Robert

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
You can use a second cloud service like Dropbox for redundancy, and/or a local NAS (like Synology) or something like Nextcloud with an associated photo-syncing app. Photo syncing with iOS is a common feature of such storage solutions.

Reactions: julesme and cogzero

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This seems to be a good alternative to Time Machine for the iPad.

I have been using iMazing for years. It is excellent with a plethora of features.

Reactions: jchap and bondr006

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I think it’s incredibly risky relying solely on iCloud Photos.

1. It’s not really a back up
2. If you lost your password it’s gone
3. There are a few experiences with iPads and external hard drives corrupting. It happened to me. Plus it’s also incredibly time consuming exporting to photos all the time on an iPad in bulk.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Doesn’t this need a Mac though or am I missing something?

Ideal would be an iPad, external drive and Time Machine functionality.
It's available on Windows PC and Mac.:)

Publicstaticvoid

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
If photos and videos are the only files you want to back up, you could always use the Shortcuts-App. Here's my idea:
Use the action "Find photos" to get all photos, filter by "last modified date is after 1.1.1900", and save every found photo/video with a "Save File" action to the external hard drive. Gives you all the control instead of using a third party software.
As an advanced tip: Have the shortcut store the date as a variable, and use it for the filter of photos/video in the "Find photos" action. As the shortcut's last action, save the current date and time to some file in iCloud called "savedDate" or whatever. Read from that file at the beginning of the shortcut and use the value as your new "last modified date after" value. If a value is found in the file, use that as the new filter. If not, use 1.1.1900.
Your first run will included all current photos and videos, and save the current date and time to the file. Everything gets backed up. Next time you run it, only the newly added stuff will be included.
Why use "last modified date"? If you edited a photo, the newer version will also be included in the next backup.

Soccerrick10

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2019
I use Adobe Lightroom and it automatically makes a cloud (non-iCloud) backup of all my photos. Once the files have been processed to a state for printing, I save a copy manually as a tiff file to my attached external ssd.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I think it’s incredibly risky relying solely on iCloud Photos.

1. It’s not really a back up

Yes. It doesn't count as one of the 3 backups in the recommended 3-2-1 backup strategy. Only 1 of those backups should be in Time Machine as it tends to fail.

MrCookieMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
If photos and videos are the only files you want to back up, you could always use the Shortcuts-App. Here's my idea:
Use the action "Find photos" to get all photos, filter by "last modified date is after 1.1.1900", and save every found photo/video with a "Save File" action to the external hard drive. Gives you all the control instead of using a third party software.
As an advanced tip: Have the shortcut store the date as a variable, and use it for the filter of photos/video in the "Find photos" action. As the shortcut's last action, save the current date and time to some file in iCloud called "savedDate" or whatever. Read from that file at the beginning of the shortcut and use the value as your new "last modified date after" value. If a value is found in the file, use that as the new filter. If not, use 1.1.1900.
Your first run will included all current photos and videos, and save the current date and time to the file. Everything gets backed up. Next time you run it, only the newly added stuff will be included.
Why use "last modified date"? If you edited a photo, the newer version will also be included in the next backup.
Nice idea 👍

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
How much storage do you need? You can take out multiple cheap subs to Google Drive and Onedrive for a combined total of about $4 a month. 100Gb on Google is $1.30 or thereabouts. This would give you 3x cloud storage options. If you don't have that many images then a free account on them all expands your options. Amazon also include backup with a Prime sub.

Whilst there are other 3rd parties like Dropbox and Mega I've never been too confident of the financial health of them. It sucks to have to rely on the big three but honestly, do you trust anybody else?

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
For those who suggest Dropbox / Google Drive - does this backup the database of photos (and differentially) or each photo individually meaning their albums, tags, classification would be broken in the case of a restore ?

From what I can see if you're looking for an easy life - stick with the MacBook and Time Machine. Individual photo backup will break the database structure of Photos and while you'll have all your photos (hopefully) you'll lose ANY organisation you had done to them - albums, smart albums, faces, locations, memories, tags etc.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Your proposal is a nice idea but its just a basic file backup that just results in a massive folder full of random photos and videos. If the OP uses Photos to any extent of its basic functionality the albums info would be lost, any tags created, faces data is gone and would need to be rebuilt over weeks (for me it really takes that long) and any other form of database structure that makes the experience pleasant and organised would no longer be there causing the OP to put in hours of time to put this back in place. Preserving the Photos database, in my opinion is crucial - hence Time Machine and stick with the MacBook. iPad just doesn't do proper backup yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.