Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I know the official Apple recommends Withings but it doesn't get the best reviews. Does anyone know of a body weight scale that provides the most accurate weight measurements?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3JJQ9TN

Edit

I did a bit more research:

Digital but not smart: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-bathroom-scales/
Top pick: Eat Smart Precision Plus

Digital smart scales: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smart-scales/
Top pick: Wyze Scale X

For smart scales, the Wyze did get the best pick. But if you go to the bottom of the smart scale article, they write the following about A&D Medical (apparently a 40-year old Japanese medical device company):
If you want an ultra-accurate smart scale with a notably high weight limit: The A&D Medical Premium Wireless scale (currently $85, Bluetooth only) was the most consistently accurate scale in our testing, and it has a 450-pound weight limit, which is higher than those of our picks. Somewhat annoyingly, though, its app requires you to manually confirm your weight and then enter your height every time you record a reading from the scale—effectively invalidating some degree of automation. The scale is compatible with Google Fit and Apple Health. This scale is FSA-eligible with a letter of medical necessity from a physician, and it has a two-year warranty.

A&D's app also seems to get good ratings:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/a-d-heart-track/id1499948195
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.aandd.hearttrack&hl=en_US

I bought the Withings, Eat Smart Precision Plus and the A&D Medical. I'm going to use the Eat Smart as a reference scale and test out the Withings and A&D to see which one is more accurate. If neither of the two smart scales work, I'll try the Wyze.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Good luck with that as most/all smart scales are inaccurate.

Smart scales are not accurate for body composition and should not replace DEXA in patient care.

Leslie Heinberg, PhD, Director of Enterprise Weight Management at Cleveland Clinic, says research has found that most of these scales are fairly inaccurate and tend to overestimate body fat percent. Plus the extra bells and whistles on these products can produce distressing results.

I guess can use one's number as a "relative baseline" and track relative to that (ie. see if going up or down), but to say "my BMI is X", a bit wishful imo. Or get a DEXA test, see what scale says that day, see how far off and adjust accordingly from then on to have a relative idea what the real number is.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Good luck with that as most/all smart scales are inaccurate.

I guess can use one's number as a "relative baseline" and track relative to that (ie. see if going up or down), but to say "my BMI is X", a bit wishful imo. Or get a DEXA test, see what scale says that day, see how far off and adjust accordingly from then on to have a relative idea what the real number is.

I think OP only mentioned weight specifically
The smart scales are all pretty good at that part I think

I love my Wyze scale for my daily weigh in.
I also use SmartScaleSync to have it auto sync up with my Garmin account

I updated my original post above. NYT gave the Wyze Scale X the top pick for smart scales. But in that same article they mentioned a company called A&D Medical as being the most accurate. I have no idea what A&D Medical was but after googling, I found out that they're a 40 year old Japanese medical device company. It has good reviews on Amazon. I'm going to test it out. A medical device co making scales sounds like a good thing but who knows...

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I updated my original post above. NYT gave the Wyze Scale X the top pick for smart scales. But in that same article they mentioned a company called A&D Medical as being the most accurate. I have no idea what A&D Medical was but after googling, I found out that they're a 40 year old Japanese medical device company. It has good reviews on Amazon. I'm going to test it out. A medical device co making scales sounds like a good thing but who knows...

Nice!
More than I wanted to spend as I just wanted connected weight syncing with Apple Health & Garmin

Excited to hear your report on the A&D

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I've been taking multiple daily measurements (~3/day) since I took a month off from work.

The Eat Smart Daily does provide consistent results, every time you step on the scale, just as the NYT says. Supposedly, it has no memory to keep track of the weights so every weigh-in is truly independent and not algorithmically driven. So, I used this scale as the base case.

I calculated the absolute value of the deviation of the other two scales at each weigh-in. I found the A&D to be more accurate than the Withings but the question is, is there a material difference? The Withings had an average deviation of 0.5 lbs and the A&D 0.2 lbs over the last ~15 days.

Daily average deviation:

1720849878403.png

This is the trajectory of my weight:
1720850454365.png

There are two other important factors that I will include in an update later this month, namely the app experience and ecosystem.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Withings Body Scan. It’ll do fat, muscle and bone mass measurements, amongst other things.

Is it medically accurate? Likely not. But it’s at least consistent so I can see either progress or losses, and that’s what is helpful for me.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.